• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Hydro Rebuild Questions

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ncutler

displayname
neal j. cutler
I'm rebuilding my first hydro. I have a 1650 that is seeping fluid from the pump seals and gaskets. But since it sees regular use, I need it operational. And didn't want it down for possibly weeks while I went through things on weekends. So I bought a 1450 basket case/roller that had been sitting for quite some time. My intention is to "freshen up" the hydro transmission from the 1450. Which is basically checking for abnormal wear and replacing all the dried up gaskets and seals, then put it into the 1650 when complete.

After taking apart the hydro unit, I noticed the retaining plate on the motor side of things was bent in places. This is at about every other piston.
20200926_144400[1].jpg

The brass part that rides against the static swash plate of the motor was also dark colored, compared to the pistons from the pump side.
20200926_144429[1].jpg

20200926_144439[1].jpg

I'm assuming the only way the retainer plate for the motor was bent was because the tractor was towed at some point in it's life. And the discoloration is from slippage because the retainer plate was no longer keeping the pistons flush against the swash plate. The pistons and cylinder block all look good with no scoring on the bore surfaces. And the swash plate looks really good as well.

Has anyone seen this type of damage to the retainer plate? Obviously, the piston retainer plate needs to be replaced. But should I re-use the pistons with the discoloration? They fit snug in all the bores with no discernable deflection (slop) by feel. and the brass heads all move freely.

I'm rebuilding my first hydro. I have a 1650 that is seeping fluid from the pump seals and gaskets. But since it sees regular use, I need it operational. And didn't want it down for possibly weeks while I went through things on weekends. So I bought a 1450 basket case/roller that had been sitting for quite some time. My intention is to "freshen up" the hydro transmission from the 1450. Which is basically checking for abnormal wear and replacing all the dried up gaskets and seals, then put it into the 1650 when complete.

After taking apart the hydro unit, I noticed the retaining plate on the motor side of things was bent in places. This is at about every other piston.
View attachment 140220

The brass part that rides against the static swash plate of the motor was also dark colored, compared to the pistons from the pump side.
View attachment 140221
View attachment 140222

I'm assuming the only way the retainer plate for the motor was bent was because the tractor was towed at some point in it's life. And the discoloration is from slippage because the retainer plate was no longer keeping the pistons flush against the swash plate. The pistons and cylinder block all look good with no scoring on the bore surfaces. And the swash plate looks really good as well.

Has anyone seen this type of damage to the retainer plate? Obviously, the piston retainer plate needs to be replaced. But should I re-use the pistons with the discoloration? They fit snug in all the bores with no discernable deflection (slop) by feel. and the brass heads all move freely.
Can we assume you don't have the manual? Cub Cadet Specialties Manuals

Back