• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through April 24, 2004

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Art,
On the 149 I have the top lift pin powered by a
seperate cylinder. So the only float was in the lift links. On a NF you don't have much more movement than that 1.5" you are talking about.
There isn't enough range of motion on a NF 3pt
to get much down pressure with the floating straps and still have the plow clear the ground when lifted up.

Wyatt,
I used the middle hole in the lower 3pt bracket
on both tractors. I didn't try changing that.
The tires are about the same width between them,
but the 10.50s are a little taller. I'll have to do a little measuring and compare the difference
it height of the lower brackets. I should have tried moving to the top hole on the 102 because of the shorter tires.

Hey Jerry B... Drop me a message or gimmie a phone (5632895332) when you get in the QC area, and I'll meet'cha somewhere, or if you wanna tour my mess (uh... shop), you're welcome to come over... if I've got a fair wad of pocket-paper, I'll take 'ya out to dinner with the young lady and little guy!

Todd- per suggestions from others, I made my sleeve-hitch, but rather'n straps, I just hung mine on chains, so it really 'floats. Now, Keith set me up with his yeller plow (with coulter) at Prophetstown, he gave it eyeball adjustments (that I had absolutely no understanding of), but when Nick and I headed into the furrow, I let the lift down (it's hydro) and the plow dug it self in just fine, sought it's cutting depth, and did a fantastic job... no funky dancin', no jerks or anything... only problem is my 109's motor got really tired (and hasn't been well ever since).

A great-big-huge THANK_YOU to all the WFM crew for a great event- Nick and I had a whole lotta fun!

Thanks to everyone who recognized Nick and I, and introduced themselves- it's great to put faces to names, and Nick just loved getting smiles and waves... he also liked seein' all those fancy tractors (TWO engines?)

After WFM, we made it up to Lake City in good time, got the little Diesel loaded, and a few other doo-dads. Swung by Travis's place, but apparently beat him home, as all we left was a pair'a trailer-tracks in the driveway where we turned around... we'll try again some other time.

Well, I'm anxious to plop this swedish diesel into the 149 roller and see what kind'a fitt'n work I'm gonna hafta do... not only to make the MOTOR fit (it's pretty big) but also to get a radiator and fuel-tank into that bugger... but I'm also pretty interested in getting it fired up with about a 20" stack... and see what it sounds like. Last time I heard it run, it was muffled by about a 35-gallon drum half-full of water in the bilge of a 46' sailboat... Those marine 'silencers' give it a putt-barf/splash-putt sound that just doesn't strike fear into groundhogs and earthworms, but I think we can remedy that situation...

Oh... and a big thanks for Steve "Mr. Plow" B. for giving me a quick tutorial on the thrust-vectors of plowing. One'a these days I'll pop for an old plow, clean it up, and try my hand at gettin' it set up. Hmmm... there's this field just up the street that's been 'for sale' as commercial property, and it's been overtaken by moles... :-}

Dave K.
18084.jpg

1st off:

BIG THANKS to Nick and the WFM crowd for a well run event. It was a very enjoyable day in the field.

Thanks to Travis for the Friday afternoon entertainment and floor space......"I'm buy'n your attraction......"

I'm fairly certain that Robb K. was behind the plow share door prizes......thanks (kinda fitting that Mr. Plow won a plow share!!!)

Hugh put on a really nice get together Friday night, thanks for the good eats!!!!

Chris E. and I had a good trip....put 1007 miles on my truck this weekend...hills,rain,high winds, and heavy loads mean that the Ford drank it's share of $1.90 gas, but oh well!!! Wish I would have taken a pic of the load we had on the trailer when we pulled into Travis's place......anyone else ever bring a 90 year old sulkey plow to a plow day?????

Anyway, THANKS for a fun weekend!!!!

(Message edited by sblunier on April 25, 2004)

Steve-
Thanks for hauling that Deck to Glen!

Ryan-
Thanks for hauling (and helping load) that MONSTER 60" deck!

Here's a couple of pics from the WFM event. The first one is of Mike S., Jim Bailey and Mike Horn at my place on Friday and the second is of Sat at Nick Q's place

18086.jpg

18087.jpg

Todd M.

Feel free to copy whatever you want.....
happy.gif
happy.gif

Would my plow have made it thru that without choking up????? Probably not the whole day, BUT it would have made a regular Brinly coulter look bad by comparison. It sounds bad, but that's not an empty statement.....the extra clearance and fixed coulter bracket do WONDERS for good trash plowing. To date, I've only really slugged it in situations that had already stopped everything else. At WFM it took chiseled corn stalks without failure.

Plow Depth/Performance:

A lot of the things that can make or break how a sleeve hitch plow works cannot be controlled at a plow day....mainly because they have to do with the condition of the furrow. Ever wonder why the set-up that worked PERFECT in your garden (of similar soil) doesn't work at a PD???? You are not running in your OWN furrow and are very rairly running in one of similar depth/quality/width as your plow is plowing. The correct angle on the "wing" of the share has alot to do with the depth of cut. If your plow doesn't "lay over" enough to stand up straight (furrow shallower than your plow is running) you won't cut a flat bottomed furrow and the wing won't bite like it should....you run shallow and under cut. Likewise, if you are in a deep furrow the wing tends to pull the plow down and force the landside off to the left (overcut). These conditions are compounded by the mixture of 10" and 12" plows, tire sizes, driving styles, etc.

One other thing, straight coulters can very easily "gauge" a plow just like a gauge wheel if they are set too low in harder dirt...raising your plow coulter may have contributed to the extra depth.

Downforce????? NO.....you don't want the lift locked out or limited...properly set, a Brinly should do a respectable job without forcing the issue.

dang I hate it when I click on the wrong pic. I'll try again for the pick from Nick Q's

your_image.gif

Al Z. from the green side made these CAT-0 adapters/weight brackets, we found out Friday that they'll hold a 6pack. :eek:)
18099.jpg

BTW, if you haven't found them yet I just posted a few photos on the WFM Spring Break photo section.

(Message edited by kmcconaughey on April 26, 2004)

Hugh S., thanks for the recipe!!! It's now in the archive. :eek:)

Art, yep, thanks! Oh yeah, and mfffft! :eek:)

Kraig -- how's your sugar level today ¿ Have you landed yet ¿

No comment on the high built up welds or is there any pentration or does he own a grinder ... after all it was only a "tool holder" , then again he may see as bad as I do now. ( but I can still see to TIG! just not ARC or MIG)

A guy down the road came in saturday needing his mower deck welded , I told him I couldn't see to weld anymore but I'd try. I fired up the MIG and gave it a shot with my 2.5 cheater lens. He thought it needed more and said that he use to weld in the mines so he took over. He needs to go back underground ! 3/8" thick weld sitting on top of the metal ... oh well it was only a crapsman mower.
roflol.gif

Ken, I would have to agree, its all in the penetration, not whats sitting on top.
lazerburn.gif

That's the new Brinly 6-PAK 3pt adapter.....just ask Robb
happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif

Thanks to Nick and everyone else that setup WFM plowday. I had a great time even though I couldnt stay long. Glad to have been able to visit with a few people. Jeff

Thanks also to Hugh for the coffee and doughnuts!

Ken, you'd have to talk with Al about the welding. BTW, I crashed from the sugar high yesterday.

Ken/Kraig-

I think that picture makes the welding look thicker than it does in person.

Plenty of people were using those adaptors on Saturday and I didn't see one person having trouble with them or the welds they're made of.

Then again, look at an original Brinly 3-point adaptor. They look like they're strung together with bubble-gum.

Latest posts

Back