• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through April 20, 2008

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i traced the linkage all the way back to where you take that seat access off. the large gear right under the seat access is missing a tooth. the linkage works to the small plate and then cuts underneath. whats the next step?

Thanks Matt. That's how I installed it, but then I started to second guess myself...
dunno.gif

Charlie -

It's going on a K-301 in a 123. The bearing in question is #12 below and came from my local IH dealer in a MTD bag. Came with a locking collar (#13) too.

82915.jpg

Theodore A.-

Can you take a picture? I don't understand what you mean, there aren't any gears under there....

Theodore, click on the "Parts Lookup" button above and enter 127. When the list of models comes up click on 127. You'll then be able to look at various exploded view parts diagrams, these will be in a folder called "Illustrated Parts Lists" click on that then look for the one labeled "Transmission Controls". These can be quite helpful for figuring things out. Ummm what "large gear", you mean the cooling fan????
dunno.gif

kraig you were right about the serial number. i got my glasses out and found the right number. thanks alot!!!

I lost #s 3, 4, & 5 last winter. That didn't help any!
82918.jpg

your right. it would be number 1, the transmission assembly.

on the transmission control diagram. 6 still pivots going into the transmission area. how do i get access into that area being i don't have a lift. do i have to take the mower deck off?

theo

i don't like when you folks comfirm what i figured i would need to do. i was hoping for an easy fix. well back outside to start tearing down. i guess i'll push it back into the garage. its sitting in my yard right now.

i'll post up what i find when i find it

theo

just 1 more question on the 149 for now. luckys FAQ says that the foot brake on 149 is mounted on the trans shaft but mine are on each side of the rear end, is this correct? once again thanks!!!

THEODORE - #6 doesn't go inside Your transmission, it pivots off #7, which is still easily removable by loosening two mounting bolts. The lever on the hydro unit which actually controls speed & direction is only contacting #1 and only by #'s 3,4,& 5. I've only worked on wide frame Hydros....and Your tractor is a narrow frame....more cramped and harder to access and even see the linkage. The linkages cause about 80-90% of the problems with these tractors. The Hydro unit itself is VERY trouble-free.

Welcome to THE WONDERFUL WORLD OF NARROWFRAMES! Built 40ish years ago, when it comes to problems they require downtime (just like a REAL tractor)! That's why we require "backup" Cubs. They also require serious disassembly, like a REAL tractor. There's no quick way to deal with the hydro linkage (or clutch system on a gear drive, I suppose), but it's a rewarding aggravation (kind of like hitting yourself in the head with a hammer--it feels good when you're done). Basic tools (no metrics - that's sacreligious), a good manual (not the operator's), some time and common sense, a little help from the Forum, and she'll be around for another 40ish years.
angel.gif

I'll raise a glass to that Frank,

I'm one of the guys around here that seems to have more questions than answers. And although I may have been slightly flamed a few times, it's all in good fun and loyalty to our cubs.

beerchug.gif

Cheers to you guys who keep us all running. I can't imagine the disrepair my cubs would be in without help from this site.

Thanks all of you for pitching in!

Nic

p.s. one more thing about my new 782.... no never mind. I'm sure it's in the FAQ
joker.gif

I just picked up a RD1000 loader for my Cadet 100. Does anyone have a manual for one by chance? Also, it does not have a pump for it and I know little to nothing about hydraulics. I'm thinking to use one of the power units shown below belt driven off of the side of the engine. Would this work? For now I'm hoping to rebuild the single acting cylinders that came with it, but I may just get new double acting cylinders and possibly cylinders for bucket roll control as it is just a trip bucket now. Any help in putting this system together would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Randy
82922.jpg

Randy, I have scans of the Operator's Manual for the RD1000. I could email it if your email can handle a 1MB zip file.

FRANK - Nothing wrong with a NF Cubbie. I have two right now, One I bought in Jan '81 that's been My primary tractor ever since, 27 yrs and the other tractor Dad bought new in '65 and made the mistake of selling it to a co-worker for a year or two but bought it back. They're the tractors that get run the most. The clutches in them are durable and easier to work on than the Hydro linkage.

If You want something that's a PITA to work on get a 982 with rear PTO, 3-point, etc. etc. etc. You end up with a LOT of loose parts while doing a hydro flush/refill & filter change. Should have done the cork gasket R&R while I had it apart but I was lazy.
whistling.gif

I guess instead of working on 35-40 yr old cast aside worn-out tractors We could buy new $1500-$2000 lawn tractors at a big box store every 4-6 yrs.....Several of My co-workers are on their 2nd & 3rd ones since I started here at My current job.....they can't see why I like these old relics from IHC but I can't seem to wear them out! The one co-worker's orange tractor cost Him almost $4000 to trade last summer, and His old tractor was only 5-6 yrs old and worn out! But ohh darn.....We don't have cup holders.....

Charlie; My 169 is very happy now. Thanks for the prompt and fast service from CC Specialties.
Your package is in the mail.
Luther Hinds

Latest posts

Back