• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through April 16, 2008

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Scott: Just admit most of us work a 12 step program: Step 1. My life is powerless because I can not live without a Cub.

Pops--------
old.gif

Pops,
I must be nuts w/ 3/10th of an acre and 2 cubs and a cushman!!

Tom R.
Listen to your wife for a change!
From a 300 series to a narrow frame is ridiculous! Maybe you could have both?
JH

Dennis F,

Thanks for posting the info about the Farmall plant video. That brings back some special memories. I only got to see the plant once in 1971 at the young age of 9-years old but it had a lasting impression on my life and future career choice to become an Engineer. It was my first family vacation and we went to Chicago and stopped at Rock Island to see the Farmall works. As an IH dealer, my folks had written ahead to let IH know when we would be arriving and that we would like a plant tour. The day we left, my grandpa, who stayed at home to run the dealership, gets a call from someone at Farmall asking how old was I. My grandpa told them nine and they replied that I was too young for a tour due to insurance reasons and that it couldn't be allowed. My grandpa told the person at Farmall that they would have one disappointed 9-year old boy on their hands if they didn't give us a tour as we had already left. Anyway, by the time we got to Farmall, the necessary approvals had been obtained for us to have a tour and what was ironic was that there was another family there that same day who had a son about the same age as me so they got to take the tour as well since they were making an exception for us.

I remember starting the tour in a machine fabrication area where they were making gears for transmissions. It was amazing. They had huge drill presses with heads that could drill multiple holes at once. They had this machine that heat treat hardened the gear teeth by making them glow red hot using electric current or something...it was magic to a 9-year old. We then went to the assembly line where they started building up the transmissions and TA's. We even got to go into the climate controlled "clean room" where they put the Hydro transmissions together...nice and cool in there. The 66 series was in full production then and it was amazing to watch tractor start coming together as we walked down the line. The paint booth was neat to see as the red tractors came out the other side and I remember the tour guide telling us about how they electrically charged the paint and tractor to minimize the amount of overspray in the air and they had a large drying oven that dried the paint on the entire tractor in minutes. I remember seeing them start the engine for the first time. On one tractor, there was an oil leak on the TA manifold that the inspector noted on the inspection report for repair. Then the cab and sheet metal would start being added and finally the tires were installed at the end of the line. I told my mom after the tour that I wanted to work in the factory someday and design tractors. At the end of the tour that morning, the guide asked if we wanted to go see the combine plant in East Moline that afternoon. I immediately replied YES! without even thinking of checking with my parents.

That afternoon we drove over to East Moline to see them building 6/7/8/915 combines. I remember seeing the big sheet metal presses that cut and stamped out the sheet metal parts. At one press I'm certain they were stamping out the footrest plates for Cub Cadets to send to Louisville (to keep this on topic)

They had this long overhead conveyer system that brought parts to the assembly line and the combine started to take shape. In the weld shop they were welding up frames, rear axles and whatever. I remember seeing the machine that made augers which was really cool as it would take a flat strip of steel and roll into an auger in seconds. I also remember another long press that riveted the knife sections on to the sickle bar in one whack. Overall it was an incredible experience that I have never forgotten. It's sad that now they have torn down most of both of these plants.

It's a shame what happened to IH...just ain't right!

Ehm.... oooooops!
I wanted to take the hitch of my 123, so I can have it modified...
http://images.fotopic.net/ytemlv.jpg

When I undid the 5 bolts (bottom center bolt is hidden behind the hitch-pin in the picture), oil started to leak out :-(

Is this the oil from my hydraulic system that just comes out?
If so, can I take the bolts out, take the hitch of and put the bolts back in, top up the oil and use the tractor again?

Best wishes,

Remco

Remco V.-

Yep. If I were you, I'd jack it up so there's less fluid pressing on the rear cover plate, and then take it off, put the bolts back in, and then top it off.

Matt, thanks for the quick answer!
So... where do I top it up? And with what kind of oil?

Best wishes,

Remco

Remco V.-

That plug hiding right behind the ball in your picture is where the fluid goes. The fluid is supposed to be IH (now CaseIH) Hytran Ultra. I have no idea if you will be able to get that over there or not...

Hi Matt,

I'm sure I won't be able to get it here... but I'm sure they'll have some kind of hydraulic fluid :)

Matt Gonitzke (Mgonitzke)

Thanks Matt for the information, now I only have to find a coupling and input shaft to get it back going.

David

Last question before I go to bed... (it's 0:20 here)
Can I damage the unit if I operate it with not enough hydraulic fluid in it? As it's standing on a spot now where I can't get a jack in :-(

Kraig M.

Whatdoyoumean no hydrostatic round fender cub cadet ever built?
82725.jpg

A 127 with round fenders.
<font size="-2">Cause I wanted a faster cub, I needed taller tires and round fenders</font>

Tom R, Great News
thumbsup.gif

Now for the bad news, I have been awaiting two IH cubs to be deliverved to my local small equipment dealer. The owner told me yesterday, that the man who was planning on dropping them off took them to the scrap yard!
bash.gif
He told me the guy got something like 25 bucks a piece for them. This after the owner told him he would give him a minimum of 200 bucks for both. Such a waste!

Hello guys I've been away for a while and am about to try putting that teaser spring on the 104 in the next few days and see if it will finally make it through 1 season without one of it's episodes.I'm looking forward to my rebuild of a few cubs on the side and I'll finally be able to build my dream work shop even if it has to be on some of my rental property.
ihrotate.gif

Jerry H.
It's going to be a sad day when the 314 leaves. I'll be left with a totally restored JD110 (with attachments) AND that is what i'll be comparing to the Cub that hopefully someone on this site will want to sell me really cheap. I want to compare apples to apples.
Thanks, Tom

james crews,

I broke several teaser spings on our 102.
I had been taking the driveshaft to the local cub dealer and having them replace it and install it.

Well I finally took the shaft apart myself and found the area under the teaser spring and the release bearing worn like an hour glass. Probably less than half shaft diameter left.
So I was not happy with that nor the fact about the shop not bothering to tell me of the condition of the shaft.

I needed a new shaft. teaser spring release arm and throw out bearing. and the clutch plates were not flat.

I ordered a complete shaft and clutch assy from Midwest Super Cub. They put it all together and shipped it. That was the best money I have spent on that little cub.

WE try to wear that one out all the time. We have 6 and I bet we put more hours on that one than all the others put together.

One sign I learned is if your pedal is shaking then something is definately wrong.

102 probably the best dang tractor we own.

hope this helps
Cheers
Dudley

Matt G. thanks for the reply, man you are really firing off the info tonight. the subframe is part of the package so it should be an easy swap.

Tim

Back