• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through April 12, 2007

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lonny - check out my new thread in the sandbox ;)

Let's keep Lonny and Anthony entertained while they heal !

I hope you have a fast recovery Lonny. Being injured while working on our equipment isn't fun at all. I sliced my right index finger open and needed stiches a week and a half ago while installing a lawn mower blade. Sure am glad I heal quik. Lonny there are a couple of nice used trailers for sale in central WI. Hauling my 1250 on a trailer is a whole lot easier than on the truck.
beerchug.gif

Dean,
I have a small trailer for hauling cub around on and it is a handy thing to have, and I actualy do use it to haul my cubs on
54935.jpg

It's just when I want to haul more than 1 cub at a time I need to use my truck, but from now on I will be taking the topper off the truck. That or I will find another way to load a cub into the truck with the topper on.
I am thinking of mounting a 1000lbs winch to the bed of the truck up by the cab and use it to pull the cubs up the loading ramps and into the back of the truck, I just have to figure out how to use the same winch to pulll the cub back out of the trruck.

Howdy folks, I appreciate you letting me join this group. I just brought home a model 147 that had been sitting in my mother in laws garage since it was bought back in early 70.Has blade and mower deck and was told the battery keeps going dead. I was just wondering if anyone on here with experience on the 147 would happen to live close to where I am at which is in Hedgesville,Wv?

I just adjusted my nuetral on the hydro on my 782. When I was all done, I shut off the engine, tightened all the bolts and was in the process of installing the tunnel cover when I noticed that hytran was seeping out of one of weep holes on the valve on the top of the pump. It is the valve on the left as you sit on the tractor. I removed the valve and it was clean. The hytran is also fresh, changed it a week ago. Any ideas why it would be seeping out of the valve like that?

Karl,
Welcome to the world of IH Cub Cadets.
Sorry to say I dont live very close, but with this great site you should be able to figure out the problem with the battery.
The first thing I would do is disconect the battery, both post, charge up the battery and let is sit for a week. Check the charge to see if the battery is still full charged, if not the battery is bad. If the battery is good, the next thing I would do is check out the key switch, they do go bad internally. Another thing to check is voltage regulator, is the battery being charged while the motor is running, easyest way to tell if there is a charge going to the battery is to statr the motor, let it warm up a few seconds, disconect the postive post wire, if the motor dies, you are not getting a charge to the battery either beacuse you voltage regulator is bad or the starter/gen is not putting out a charge.
These are the first and easyest things would check.

David.
I would care to guess that some how or another a speck of dirt got up onto the relife valve or possable one of the O rings on the relife valve is worn.
I assume you did not do anything to the relife valve brfor it began leaking fliud, and therfor the leak would have to do with either a worn part or dirt comtamiantion while changing the oil & filter.

Karl S. welcome, I also have a 147 so I and a few other guys can get you thru this. Lonny B. has some great, easy ideas to check your electrical system. A few questions to help us help you... are you any sort of a mechanic and do have/know how to use a volt meter? Also look at the wires near the voltage regulator at front top of your tractor. Wires in these old tractors get brittle and break easily. Wireing diagrams for a 147 are in the FAQ's if needed.

The fastest way to see if something is discharging the battery with the key off is to put a volt meter between the post and cable. Either one will do. Second if you don't have a volt meter is to use a tail light bulb in between a cable and post. If it lights up you've got a drain.

Lonny,Ken and Allen thanks for your replies and info. Info about me and tractor-I was a diesel mechanic a long time ago and yes I do have multi meters, used to work for power company and was in electronics when I was in the air force. I have already found the wiring diagram that was posted on this site thanks to I believe to one of you posting it. This tractor was given to me 2 days ago when I was at my mother in laws working on one of her table saws. this tractor was bought in 1970 and has been in her barn since her husband died. It is clean and almost looks like new. the mower deck was removed and it had a blade mounted. I have all the parts in my garage now and after reading everything I could find on this site about the 147 it sounded like a good idea to ask you experts that have dealt with this model before I stick my fingers into this to far. this tractor looks like it will do about anything I need done and I sure dont want to tear it up blundering my way into it.

Back