Archive through April 12, 2006

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kfass

displayname
Kenneth Fass
Thanks Kraig. I went to cubfaq.com but that site is incomplete and I see nothing referring to steering boxes there.

Ken, when you get to cubfaq.com website, click on the "Click here for questions we have to date." link in the upper left corner of the page.

Yes I have that Kraig. Thanks. It is for wide-frame models. I did print it in case they are similar however.

Ken, the steering gear boxes are nearly the same for all the Cubs except the Original. The main difference between the various narrow frames and wide frame steering gear boxes are the length of the steering shaft and tube.

It's comin, I just know it is!
coffee.gif

Is the Bronze button good to use for the front clutch? I don't want to continue use if not.

Scott H -

Bronze button? Like a coat button??

Front clutch? As opposed to a rear clutch??

Help us out here - be a bit more specific and provide more info.

Kenneth F -

Might I suggest purchasing yourself a nice shiny set of manuals? Pretty much everything's covered there. See OUR FAQ on what manuals to buy.

Then, after buying said manuals, you might like to
rtfm2.gif
wink.gif

<font size="-2">ah, that feels much better...</font>

Bryan, Scott's last posts is more of a follow up post. Look back on the page that recently went to archive you'll see more on his PTO query.

KRAIG - The 982 steering gearbox is different also....Like everything else on the 982 it's BIGGER....
happy.gif

Does anyone know of a post describing a repair for a drive line noise in an Original? I checked the FAQ. The problem I have is a noise, in the clutch area on my Original. This is a recently aquired machine so do not have a history with (other than the P.O. telling me there was a noise in the tranny when in first gear). The noise is more prevelant when in first but is there all the time.

First time posting a question. Have been reading and using the information for a long time.

Denny, thanks for the info on the 982 steering. Good to know.

The steering box on the 982 is very similar to that on the 154-185-184 Cub LoBoy. Both are made by TRW. Also some of the front axle parts are the same. Bigger IS better...

KEN - Any idea who the new manufacturer is of the replacement gearboxes for the NF & WF tractors? I bought a new one to replace the worn-out one on My 72 about 5-6 yrs ago and it's nothing like the OEM box. The housing has stiffening ribs all over the outside. My Dad still has the first one off the 70 hanging at home that split in two when I got the left front wheel wedged under the LP tank when I was about 8-9 years old...... Dad's Exactly like I am..... He never throws a Danged thing away! I'm sure the bearings & stuff are in good shape in it yet.... "CHEAP REPAIR PARTS!"

Where, or from whom might I get a replacement fan for my 149 driveshaft? Mine hath departed in many pieces.

Dave T: Ya put any grease in that clutch release collar yet?? If it hasn't been greased in a few years, it may need the bushing replaced and maybe even the shaft too if its really worn.

Myron B
CCSupplyRoom

I called it a button because I didn't know what to call it. Ok Ok, yes the only clutch. I noticied that has worn into the " button " on the clutch itself which leads me to believe that the metal to metal is not good, but why would I throw 2 composite buttons.... ??

Scott H,
I would say that the thrust button on your PTO clutch might just be the problem. If that's worn it will eat the engaging button real quick.
34952.jpg

W.A.

Those little colorful boxes above can help you out on the fan...

I was thiking of just rebuilding it, but I might just get a rebuilt instead. The thrust button is pretty galled up, thats why I asked if I should ditch the bronze wear button or not. Thanks for all the help for a New Cub Cadet owner. Like I said I fix planes, but this is whole different world.

Latest posts

Back