• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through April 09, 2004

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wcompton

displayname
Wyatt Compton
Dave-
THe track-engaging trains for logging, did Shays do this? One of the treats of Red Power Roundup in IA this year at the threshing grounds is that, at least last time, have a Shay on the grounds. Quite a treat.

Ken-
Dave beat me to it.

Okay now let me correct Dave , Wyatt (for not catching it ...) and Nate for being wrong as I was but I had ppl in the driveway and typed faster than my brain thought ... easy task , naw really guys it's easy to do ... the filter really should be on the return line. BTW , metal gas tanks make good reservoir.

Well I was shaking like a JD @ a Red Power Roundup but my aluminum TIG still looked good enough to get paid and get more work ... 2166 gets a new belt now to hold it's belly up, kinda like its owner. <sub>shutup Digger!</sub>

Hi Wyatt!

I've seen pictures of Shays... and OTHER logging and mineing locomotives that were equipped with positive engagement. Shays were I think the 'most commonly fitted', simply because they were the most popular. They had the extensive gear-reduction, narrow gauge, and short wheelbase needed for negotiating tight curves in temporary logging tracks... where positive engagement was required, I think the industrial RR guys did lots of shade-tree engineering to get the job done.

The Threshing Grounds is a great thing to go to on Labor Day- I went there several times with my dad when I was oh... probably Nick's age at the youngest. Probably haven't been there since I was 9 or so, but will likely take Nick this fall. I've got an aversion to watching Holt and Best tractors chuffing away... mebbie I'm a sick-minded type drawn toward every flavor of sound-and-fury... That could also explain my brainless plan to make a full set of concrete-ballasted steels for Loader-Mutt, but I'll argue the conceptual virtues to winning end regardless of wether or not it proves to be a performance success.

Hi Ken!

Yeah, one on the return line (a thread-on), and always a suction-strainer in the bottom of the reservoir. I assume that anyone that goes through the trouble of building a hydraulic system would consider pickup strainer and return filter... if the reservoir isn't changing level much (and a pump-driven-motor with no valve and no QDs is one), then it isn't such a big deal, 'cause it won't ingest much crap once it's flushed, fitted, and fired-up. Consider the power steering system on the average automobile... no suction strainer, no return filter, but very few ways for 'crud' to get in...

Geezer -- you'll like the rustults <sub>rust - results get it Digger, got to explain everything to the dimwit</sub> of the rust removal system. I've done alot of things already. Funny how that one site caught my eye (guess the pics paid off) because I was looking through some old saved files and found the same info (without pics) where I had saved the site page back in 98.

NAG NAG NAG, You grumpy ole bastage!
17618.gif

Dave - howdy !
I built a Vega powered Moline once and ran a pump off the crank pulley and just stuck on a cylinder a guy gave me. I had in / out screw on filters on it. A few years later I picked up the second cylinder he had given me and I was fooling with it and I pulled out the plugs I had capped the ports with ... it was full of dead oily honey bees ! I wonder how many got pumped through my 10zillion psi hydraulic system ...
I say 10zillion 'cause I ran a 2.5" pulley on the pump from the ? 7 " ? or whatever size the engine had. Just tap the valve and it was cycled ... ought to heard it squeal with the engine turning full throttle ! I could lift the front wheels off the ground by hand. It'd burn 2 thick black marks on pavement carrying the front about 3 ' high ! What a seat pucker !!! I pulled a 62" Bush Hog tiller with it.

Wyatt -

You mean one of these???

17620.jpg

The locomotive is still around, too...

Hmm, I wonder who that little squirt between his grandparents is...
lol.gif

BTW, y'all should quit messing around with these li'l podunk steam train rides and visit a REAL operating railroad museum. I'm sure Tedd and I can figure out how to host anyone that wants to visit...

Bryan - that pic has kept it's age better than you have <sub>Digger got my password and posted that!</sub>

This is what I did today......

17622.jpg

17623.jpg

17624.jpg

17625.jpg

17626.jpg

Clearance and trash flow enhanced Brinly....if the rolling cutter can't cut it, the added hitch and frame clearance will pass it!!!!!!

Notice how the rolling cutter sits about 4" further forward than the stock Brinly set up....much more trash clearance.

The hitch clevis has also been modified to raise the Brinly adapter further off the ground in the hitch pin area (the worst place in the world for trash collection). The mod was simple...drill another 5/8" hole in the clevis between the other two and bolt it up!!!! My sleeve hitch adapter did need a little modifying to get the lift angle right...no big deal, just a little lift tab.

Notice how the sleeve hitch adapter sits well off of the ground and how the frame clearance is "opened up" all the way around.

(Message edited by sblunier on April 09, 2004)

Here are some detailed shots of the rolling cutter.

17628.jpg

17629.jpg

17630.jpg

17631.jpg

The rolling cutter is a std. Brinly model that was plasma cut and sharpened to create a notched design (ACAD helped with the template). The bracket is fixed in a position about 3/4" "to land" and does not pivot like the stock design. It is made out of 1/2" x2" bar stock with a Grade 8 bolt (5/8"x5") welded to it. The bracket is held captive by the old rolling cutter frame brace and a 3/8" bolt that also provides vertical adjustment. The notched design cuts trash like a knife!!!!!! and really penetrates!!!!

I had to re-create the adjuster because the crank hit the new rolling cutter bracket.

17632.jpg

(Message edited by sblunier on April 09, 2004)

I was fighting soil like we had at Travis's today...moist but crumbly, so I had a hard time breaking in the new 12" bottom for a good "land polish", but after some DA sander action and a fair amount of putty knife work it was working well.

This thing will plow in chiseled corn stalk ground!!!!!!!!! I NEVER plugged it all day, running the rolling cutter the whole time!!!!

Took a few shots of the furrows and some of the corn ground I was plowing. Notice the "notch marks" from the rolling cutter in the sidewall of the furrow.

17634.jpg

17635.jpg

17636.jpg

Beta Test was very successfull.....this week it gets pulled down and cleaned up for paint, then it will make it's first showing at Prophetstown.

Steve-
Excellent work! I like how you redid the colter bracket to move it forward. It's great that someone is taking the time to improve on an already good (Brinly) design. May make it easier to host a Plow Day if a guy doesn't specifically have to find bean-ground!

boy oh boy could I plant me sum okry and taters in that stuff ! Makes me miss the farm and my 2 acre garden ... stupid clay and bed rock !!
angry.gif

well I've lost my classifieds password if it's not been bounced ... <sub>Digger probably done that too. I'm gonna have to keep my eye on him!</sub>

(Message edited by kweaver on April 10, 2004)

Nice work, Steve. I'll be taking a closer look at that @ Prophetstown. Looks like a pretty nice yard you plowed up, though........

Steve,VERY impressive plow rework!! Major improvemnets in all needed areas. Can't wait to see that in action. Well planned out and built. Looks like many ideas can be carried over to my Cat 0 Brinly too.

Steve-
Looks good. Were those parts new Brinly beams that hadn't been welded up before?

That coulter looks like the one I have for my repainted plow (one that's not making it to Prophetstown). I think my notches are shallower, but I have a couple more. Sort of copied one from Buffalo. I have to admit though, it came from a green dealer, but it IS a Brinly part. JD # M147653 for $16. I'd have ordered it from a sponsor that sells Brinly parts, but this was fairly convienent since I drive past every day.

(Message edited by wcompton on April 10, 2004)

Hey Guy's
I need to change my e-mail address in my profile and can't figure out how to do it. Any advice.

Latest posts

Back