• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through April 09, 2004

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Steve B,
You ain't done much Minnesota plowin have ya, LOL
That ground over at Nicks gets hard a rock in most spots.

We better get some rain for the 24th, cause it's DRY!!!!!!! up this way.
BTW, there's tons of corn ground at Nicks too.

Tim,

When u did the carb how did u clean the parts?
U need a gal. of carb cleaner with the basket and let the parts soak. It cleans out every little orifice, blow off parts and reassemble. I tink u still have some kind of blockage. Did u check for air leaks by spraying carb cleaner?

George H

Wiliam D

What did u put in your water for the rust remover?
Do u know if baking soda will work? I made one and used the baking soda. It's been goin about two hours and doesn't seem to be doing much.

George H

George H.: I used Cleaning Soda packaged by Arm & Hammer and found it in the cleaning supplies of our small super market. It only cost $2.49 for a large box and you only use a table spoon to a gal. Cascade Dish washing powder is what Kentucky Ken used. I am slowly adding more soda to see if I can get the amperage a little higher. I read 2 Amps when I first turned mine on and you could see the bubbles right away and in 2 hours I had a lot of scum on top.

Charlie,

If it's that hard and you add downforce you'll just lift the a$$ end of the tractor off of the ground......bad for traction
happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif

We'll see how bad it is, after a winter freeze/thaw cycle ground usually breaks much easier than it does in the fall after the summer sun bakes it. PD#2 was probably some of the HARDEST plowing we have done........yup, I'm familiar with tight black dirt!!!
happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif

Just got back from 15 hours on the road picking up 3 tractors and visiting with mom & dad. Pics tomorrow...er..later today..

Nice plow Steve, can't wait to see it in action...you still have me first on the free prototype list, right? <font size="-2">(Remember, I have your 128!)</font>
devil2.gif
lazerburn.gif

Happy Easter all!

Geezer - George -- if you sit and watch it work you can see the rust leaching across the bottom of the container. I just kinda dumped Cascade in 2 gallon of water , maybe 4 - 6 tablespoons. I used a marine battery on the first use but last night I used my 6 amp charger and the needle never came up off the peg and it cleaned as with the battery. The piece I done last night is part of a welding jig I've been using probably 6 years so it had a pretty good rust coat on it. After I dried it off I buffed it with a wire wheel in the drill press and it has a nice blue / black luster like a good rifle barrel. Now if I just had a container large enough for my Payloader ... I may try it on some THK linear rails I've got that are weathered.

Steve's comment about lifting the wheels off the ground with a plow reminded me of when I used my 62" tiller on the back of my VegaMoline. I was a little p'd off that day and I was in a hurry so I used the down force to put the tiller all the way down. The ground was hard and with the 4 banger turning about 6 grand the rear wheels lifted and I went down the garden riding on the tiller just get'n it ! I had to till in reverse to break the ground and it was used ground not sod. Hard ground is good ol yellow clay !

Kentucky Ken: I am eyeing up my neighbors 18' pool with a PLASTIC liner. Should be able to hook a DC welder to that and realy have the bubbles bubbling.

I posted a message a few days ago about adjusting the hydrostatic lever friction on a 149. The answers I received did the job and was much appreciated.
Now for another problem, the hydraulic lift doesn't lower the mower deck down far enough. I put two spacers under the back mower brackets and adjusted the two front hangers as far as possible.
I received the maintenance manual and read about adjusting the hydraulic lift but all I got out of it was a headache. Is there a simple way to adjust it?
Again all help is appreciated.
Bill

(Message edited by bgolden on April 11, 2004)

Bill G.-As you sit on the tractor there is a big black knob by your right foot. It is the IHAS(implement height adjustment stop). Take a look at it,you'll figure it out......
wink.gif

Got a few hrs of seat time in on saturday with the 127 and the # 1 tiller, brother-in -law is reseeding his lawn. We were both amazed at how nice a job it did took just 2 passes ... Wow is that Wisconsin dirt hard !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well....it's not a show tractor anymore.
sad.gif
I got the hitch all scratched up.
17651.jpg

Kevin,
I adjusted the big black knob on the 149 and the problem is solved. I only have two other cadets with knobs like it. They both have manual levers and I have adjusted both of them several times. I guess I was so overcome by the hydraulic goodie that I forgot to check the lift stop adjustment knob.
You and many others are what makes the forum so helpful.
Thanks,
Bill

(Message edited by bgolden on April 11, 2004)

Sure it is, Kent- just keep the roller hitch'd to it!

Happy Easter everybody! The Bunny hasn't visited me, hope she visits you!

Had a pretty worthwhile day yesterday. The 147 had been doing quite a bit of wandering. When I pulled the front axle, the hole through the front of the crossmember was wallowed out something awful. Used the old bolt (through the crossmember/axle when I bought it), leveled and centered it with a couple of hard washers on the front of the crossmember, welded the washers in place, put in a cut-down grade 8 bolt, snugged it down, and checked for oil pan clearance. Cleaned the weld area and shot some paint on it to keep the rust at bay. Replaced the spindles with some that were much less horrible. The left spindle cap had been drilled out to accept a bolt rather than a roll pin, and even it was a loose fit. Greased everything with a zerk, and some things without. Tightened up the steering box. Repacked the wheel bearings, popped them into the stripped and repainted wheels with new turf tires, and took it for a test spin through the back yard.
Amazing difference. It actually goes where I point it!
Even adjusted the hood latches to keep the vibration down.
Now, to get the hydro linkage adjusted so I can keep a steady speed without my hand on the lever...

Bill-I have gotten more help off this site than I can remember,glad to pass it along. Have fun with it!

Happy Easter everybody!

I thought it was Ether not Easter. Man and I have been sleeping through it all these years..........

Hoppy Ether all ZZzzzzzzz

Steve B,
I want to make sure I understand. Is the mainframe of the plow still a stock brinly piece
except for the extra 3/8" hole?

Back