• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through April 09, 2004

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Steve B, That looks like a great modification. What is the dia. of the coulter?

Steve-
This is the coulter I had modified for plowing. It'll be a great comparison since the one-hole Brinly plows have little trash clearance. I was thinking along the lines that hopefully the notched coulter will tear into any plug. I'd have liked to use the swinging coulter that is specific to Brinly "one holers" but the coulter is riveted to the hub and I didn't really want to drill them out. It's sort of an experimental setup for PD8 when I have the project tractor finished.
17639.jpg

Note the Brinly 12" with extension, that's what may be sporting the notched coulter in the future.

FWIW, I just made a little fixture on a drill press with a holesaw, don't remember what size, it's the only one I know stays sharp 'cause it's a Milwaukee.

Phillip V/Charlie -

Actually... E-mail [email protected] and whichever one of us gets to it first will take care of it
wink.gif

Well, my internet was short lived. I got it going again (on dial-up). If anyone has emailed me and didn't get a response, I think I figured out why. When my internet was down I was using webmail at work to try to keep up with emails. Apparently most of the messages from webmail either didn't get delivered or there was a lag time of several days. Email me again if you didn't get a response.

Kevin Dunham - from Roger B. Thanks for the PTO Tip I will give it a try. Hope it works cause I think I am going deaf listening to this thing howl.

Keith Ehrecke - From Roger B. Thanks for the tip on repairing a leaky axle. Sounds like I'd better find a big pan to catch all the Hytran in. I'll let you know how things go. Thanks again.

Thanks guys.....

The rolling cutter is a stock Brinly (11" dia.) part that was notched and sharpened.

Wyatt,

I modeled mine off of the IH designed notched rolling cutters in old 720 plow literature. It CUTS EVERYTHING I have thrown at it, and what gets ridged up or twisted a little is easily passed between the cutter and the plow shin/moldboard because of the increased clearance.

Keith,

I made about 1/2 of a bottom width on the edge of my garden that was out in the sod......I didn't plow up the whole yard. Thanks BTW, the lawn is looking pretty good this year!!!!!

Some people have wondered if the swinging bracket will be a help in trash (to let it clear). IMHO, no, a fixed cutter may work the best. It seems that when the trash is heavy the rolling cutter wants to track to the furrow side, crossing over the beam and "pinching" trash at the shin. This monster won't do that!!!! Well see though, heavy/wet bean straw is tough stuff.

Best part is, in 10 min this new plow could be right back to stock Brinly configuration with only a 3/8" hole in the frame to show for it.

Hey Keith- I second that motion- Steve- next time you slice up sod like that, roll it up nice and send it to me and Keith. He needs it worse than I do, but I'll make good use of it where I trenched last summer!

Hey guys got the 169 to idle. Just turned the High speed Idle needle out 3.5 to 4 turns.

But now I can not give it any throttle or it coughs and stalls.

Ive tried adjusting the carb but nothing their.

Any thoughts.

Thanks

Steve B,
Does this mean we're gonna have to go to lift straps with holes instead of slots to get some down force goin?
Have ya tried cuttin through a ball of bean stubble left by the guy in front of ya?

Had a good Cub Day today. The person who bought my Original new(never met the man) grandson came by my house today and had his 7 year old son with him. I asked if he wanted to go for a ride on his Great Grandfather's tractor. He got real excited and climbed in my lap and we took off whit him just squealing for joy. That sure made my day. His Dad is going to come back and take some pictures and I hope he brings his dad along and we get three generations.

Tim G,
Sounds like you are ready for a carb rebuild. It is really easy to do and will probably solve your problem. I strongly recommend that you rebuild the throttle plates as well.

If you take some grease and wipe it on the throttle plate shafts on the exterior of the carb it will temporarily seal the excessive air intake. It is a simple experiment that will get you headed in the right direction.

I need another tip of the day. I purchased an NOS QL Hydro dash tin. It's in perfect condition save the factory-applied protective sheet has stuck on the smooth surfaces. Specifically, around the S/R lever, the throttle and the PTO on-off switch indicator area. Do any of you have a tip of the day on how to remove this brittle, quasi-masking tape stuff?

On another note, I got a giggle today. I took down an ash tree that uprooted in the wind. I attempted to pull it to the edge of the yard with the 318 and it wouldn't pull it - spun out. I hooked up the 129+, the hydro howled and away she went. Just gotta love that!

Took a trip to Aurora today and helped my kid brother haul home his first Cub. It's a 129 with a complete replacement engine, head/tail lights and factory hydraulic lift. Sweet tractor. I'm trying to convince him to let me put some ags & a 3pt on it to go plowing next weekend in Prophetstown. We'll see what happens.

Thanks in advance for your help on the dash tin.
Keith

Hey Keith!

Congrats to your brother on the 129- hope to see both'ya there!

Have you tried putting a heat-gun on a sample to see if it softens up?

I picked up a couple originals couple weeks ago. Both had the coulter with the notches. I recall seeing them on Dads plow, years ago.

Charlie,

You don't need downforce....plows should suck themselves into the ground.

I'll bet that coulter has one hell of a better chance at cutting your "guy in front of you's straw ball" than anything else in the field
happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif
This thing EATS!!!!

Well, it's prolly gonna snow, but... it's time to take the blower off... straightened out the auger, Again... lube, touched up the paint, and tomorrow, to the shed...
next, Aerate!

17646.jpg

Latest posts

Back