• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through April 06, 2005

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seeing as how I use my Cub Cadet push mower for everything, and I've got a QA36A blower, it doesn't really matter to me if I've got a wide or narrow frame. . . . they're all the same width at the end that counts!

BUT, ever notice that some of the nicest and neatest Cub Cadet custom tractors are narrow-frame based?

Terry,

1) the noise is a bad bearing(s).....they need attention.

2) shimming the hangers is a poor way to level a deck, it promotes damage to the deck skin in the hanger area......you need an adjustable link for the sub-frame instead.

3) The center pulley is smaller on a 48" deck because the center blade is shorter and needs more RPM's to do the same job cutting ata the tip. The 38" and 42" use the large center blade/small outter blade design the does not require as much rpm at the center spindle to achieve the same blade tip speed due to the longer blade.

Boy, oh'boy....look what I started......

Wide/Narrow, Gear/hydro, dino/synthetic.......at least it wound up enough people to get the posting numbers up a bit....
happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

There is something evil and foul when one of our fearless leaders (whos name I shall not mention) compares the beloved Original to of all things, an Edsel!!!!! <!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

ROFLMAO!

Wide frame gear drives rule!
buttrock.gif
hehe

BUT - true enough at least people are posting
happy.gif

Shame it takes controversy (as lame as the controversy can be), but hell, we'll take it
lol.gif

<font size="-2">Thanks SB!!</font>

Jim
The cork gasket replacement is pretty straight forward when you have the entire unit out of the tractor and rear end tipped up. Keep it clean, don't try to overtighten the oil suction tube, they usually seal easy.

Help!! Got my first real Cub Cadet last week a model 100.It is mostly there and should be easy to restore. Here is my Question...I can buy a 72 with fenders and lights for around $100. Is that cheaper than buying fenders if I could find them.
Jim

James - yes. And you'll add more to the collection
happy.gif

(Message edited by rmunday on April 07, 2005)

Jim-
Buy it, it's worth it for the fenders alone. If it's a "runner" then you'll have another Cub - can't have too many.

Aw.
To reduce the whole thing to a wedgy. . . . That's base. It trivializes the egregious and ignorant comparison of the narrow frame to the Edsel which is like saying the pope is protestant. It's like asking if Rachel Welch really has to sleep on her back. These things are inconceivable. Hapless are those who waste energy on the obvious.
smile.gif

Ray -

Rachel Welch may or may not have to sleep on her back. But I'm sure Raquel Welch doesn't...
wink.gif

Here are my observations,
Most manufacturers will take a product and try to fit the product into the need and typically no more. For example, Someone looked at the cast iron engines and thought. "We can make this with cheaper product and cheaper labor. And it will still perform to our internal component requirements." If a manufacturer has over engineered a product, like the cast iron rear end, they might look at trying to save a buck or two by redesigning. On the other hand if a component doesn't meet their expectations they might redesign the part for longer life or higher performance. If manufacturers over-design a product for the low end market, the product will most likely be overpriced and wont sell. If they under-design a product for the high-end market, it will most likely not perform to the market standards.

In short, newer is not always better. I have been very impressed with every narrow front I have ever owned. I cannot say the same for a wide front.*

*DISCLAIMER - I cannot say the same for wide fronts because I have never owned one.
proud.gif

Thanks Gents!! I was fairly sure that was the case and now I can show the message to my wife when she says you did WHAT!!.
I will be back for more help later.
Jim

I think we need some lightening up around here.

Folks seem to have lost sight of the fact that when these narrow/wide or gear/hydro "debates" come up, they're quite tongue-in-cheek.

Chill.

Jim-
If you get that 72, you'll be hooked on them. I had one, and wish I had another, others I know have them and didn't act so foolishly (by selling them like me!). The wide-frame crowd doesn't like the "Cubbies with the grilles that zig-zag" but as for the round fendered ones, I like 'em!

BRYAN - It's all about something called "grill envy"....
worthy.gif

DENNY....Everyone knows its about owning the right <font color="ff0000">COLOR</font> of Cub Cadet..........isn't it!!?? <font size="-2">stir...stir..</font>

Kraig,
I agree with what ever you said, what was it again?????

BTW,
What happens to a guy that messed up his back a little and doesn't get around to switchin weights before comin to PD? Is there a penalty plowin area?
26943.jpg

Bryan,
Look real close! We'll see if Denny has the balls to sport his this saturday too, snicker!

Latest posts

Back