• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through April 06, 2005

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kraig - I started making the same post but didn't hit ENTER.....

Kraig/Ray/Denny -

I know exactly where Ford started, but since the narrow frames are more like an Edsel...
wink.gif

Jim with the question about the 782 hydro gasket.
The gasket you are asking about is the cork gasket between the hydro and the rear end, and yes it should be replaced when you have the rear end out of the tractor.

The only problem is you may have other leaks and now about the only thing you can do replace the cork gasket and put it back together to find out if you have other leaks.

Before I tear down a tractor I clean them up and find all of the leaks so I know how far into them I have to go, it saves a lot of headaches down the road. I posted the method I use on here awhile back and it may be in the archives but now that you have the tractor tore down it is probably a moot point.

I do recommend that you replace the cork gasket.

I have a cub 129 and wanted to know which side of the coil does the condensor go on + or - ? also does anyone have the gap specs. for the points and plug?

Is that to say that if there wasn't Dear John's there wouldn't be IH's. WTF
confused.gif

Thanks for the help Richard! I'll defiantly change the cork gasket.

To change the cork gasket do you just unbolt the hydro, pull it out, remove old gasket, clean area, install new cork gasket, rebolt hydro, good to go, or am I going to have bearings and such falling out?

What is the diffence between the alumium axle housings and the steel ones; besides metal?

Do the seals and gaskets interchange between the two housings?

Thanks again!

Jim

Thanks, I have another question when you have the cover off the points with the engine running should you see sparks at the points contacts as they open and close if not what could be wrong?

I didnt realize there was a screen behind the grill itself. Mine doesnt have that. Looks ok without it, and it would be a grass catcher and get plugged up. I prefer narrow frames, just have to love those rounded crown fenders! Cheers Mike

I finally got the 1000 running good today. I recently installed the original 10 hp Kohler that was in it when I picked it up in the summer of 99 after installing a new piston, rings, rod, and valves. I had to rebuild the carb and make a few adjustments, but it is running great! Now I have to find out what I did with the side panels and the ducting that goes around the muffler and I am set.

26915.jpg

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

but since the narrow frames are more like an Edsel...<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>
clappy.gif

Here's the 1000 I picked up Sunday. It's a rust bucket, but not for too long.
happy.gif

26921.jpg

Here's both the "Kids" as Tom H would say... Hmm, maybe I should collect wide frame gear dives?
buttrock.gif

26922.jpg

26923.jpg

(Message edited by rmunday on April 06, 2005)

Terry J,
If the engine is running what makes you think anything is wrong?

I put the deck on my "new to me" 147. This is what the deck looks like. Its a 48" deck.
26929.jpg

I am used to this deck which I have been using on the one arm loader.
26930.jpg

As you might notice the center pulley is much smaller on the 48" deck. When I engaged the deck it sounds like a jet helicopter engine. I also sounds like there might be a bad bearing in the mule drive or something. I'll have to take a look at it later. The previous owner put allot of shims under the support pin brackets. I am going to re-level the deck back to the way it should be.

Has anyone else out there ran both of these decks? Is the 48 much louder? Does it seem to load the motor down more than the 42 (not mowing)?
I am wondering if it might be a good idea to tear down the deck for a rebuild. The bearings feel OK but it does seem tight when you try to spin by hand.
Thanks

Kraig, Denny,

You know, while we PREFER narrow frames to wide frames, I think we would quietly admit that there are advantages to wide frames and hydros. It goes without saying: one would EXPECT the International Harvester Company to make advancements and improvements on their products year after year. Tractors like the 169 are a testament to this.
STILL. There is something evil and foul when one of our fearless leaders (whos name I shall not mention) compares the beloved Original to of all things, an Edsel!!!!! This is heinous. One starts to question the blood line of this fellow. Is it really green? Is it really blue? The man needs help. Somebody help the man. . .
crash.gif

Boy, ya ever notice how these narrow frame owners are always getting their undies in a bunch when someone picks on their choice of tractor?
wedgie.gif

Hello to all, especially spring!
April 6 I finally dared to take the thrower off.
We got though another snow season with only minor incident.
I am having a little trouble with the steering
I keep bending the drag link on my 782. It as bent at the threads where the ball end attatches to the front spindles.Is this a sign of worn steering parts or just what happens when you put that big haban thrower on there, and thrash around?
This is my second drag link and my first welding job,and it still wants to bend in the same spot.
Has anyone else had this happen?

Thanks John

Latest posts

Back