• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through April 06, 2004

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Steve B., you should have taken a photo of Steve III immediatelly after his drive, I bet you'd have needed a wide angle lense to get all of his smile! When does he get his own Cub? :eek:)

Rich, Jack is looking quite proud setting on the 127. I can't believe it's been 16months already! Where does the time go? My daughter just turned 9 years old last month. I need to get her Hydro 80 Cadet refurbed for her to use ASAP or she'll have her eye on one of the 125s. :eek:)

Steve-

Yeah, he's lots of fun. Seems to love all things with wheels. Every day, he demands to sit on the Cub, and in each of our vehicles.

Also fun to watch their ability to learn in what seems an exponetial fashion. Makes you feel downright slow by comparison.

Art-

Ruling Kraig's suggestion of backwards blades out ;-) , do you mean the blade had a curve to it?

Kraig- I couldn't begin to tell you where the past 16 months have gone (Though if I had an hour meter on the Cub, it would certainly have ticked off less hours than the prior 16 months!).

Bare maintenance on the 127 for snow `n mow is all I get right now. 108 and Original are languishing.

#2 is due in August, so time will fly some more!

Kraig-
There have been NO issues of blades being mounted backwards that I'm aware of, but thanks a million for bringing it up!
happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif

Rich-
Yes, the tips of new blades will have a more square edge to them and it's my understanding that this is what makes them cut better than used blades that are otherwise sharp.

Hey Steve, Rich! Yep- kids're great- especially around cubs, and in my case, boats- Nick's just itchin' for a boat ride, he brings his lifejacket to me about every other night, and says "Boat!", and when he comes home in the afternoon, or when we're outside, he points at the 109 and says "Tor!"...

Yesterday I think he got the 'real' concept of steering... driving through a field just up the street, he looked to the right, and started turning the wheel to the right... now he just needs to get the hang of turning it back to center, and then left. He'll probably have that figured out by the time he gets home tonight.

I think he's gonna enjoy the heck out'a Prophetstown and WFM. Dunno how I'll get a chance to try my hand at turning dirt with him around, but we'll see what happens... mebbie someone can keep him safely occupied while Dad pushes the chrome lever forward.

Our 2nd is due in the 2nd week of July!

Geezer- thanks for the measurement! I'm back to the shop!

Everybody- I'll vouch for the spinning 2x4... I lost a chunk of foot to a spinning blade, but I'm really glad it was sharp, otherwise I'd probably not be walkin' or runnin' nearly as well.

I wish my daughter (4 years old) would ride on the 149. I think she is scared of the noise.

I'm ready for wfm plowday!
17548.jpg

Art, in the case of blades I was thinking more like upside down...... :eek:)

Kraig, Do you have any idea just how many hours can be lost looking through cd's????? Many thanks!!!!
Dave Kemp, any thoughts on the Davenport Genesis east hospital? Daughter is trying to have my grandkid there now. Am too far away!!!!!!!

Art, I think you are correct. Does this mean those narrow frame parts are going to cost me extra to get to get them to my place? :eek:(

Greetings:
Anyone know where we can view pictures ONLINE of the IH model 1 rotary tiller. Can't get the darn thing hooked to my 1450 CC.?
M

MM G, here's a bottom view of the belt hookup.
17554.jpg

If none of this helps you may want to invest in a manual, click on the Binder Books link at the top of the page.

Wyatt,

Your piston picture is a classic failure mode in air-cooled L-heads. Several things work together to produce such a condition. You'll note that the top land has suffered most in the area where the exhaust port is located in relation to the bore. Also note the severe coking of oil on the skirt in the non-thrust areas.

Here's the scenario...at temperature, due to location of exhaust port, expansion causes top of bore to distort and expand inward. This upsets sealing of the compression rings, allowing combustion gasses to leak by right at the highest pressure portion of the cycle. To add insult to injury, this is the major thrust side of the piston during the power stroke. The raking of the top land over a distorted bore, with a carbon-incrusted wear ring (potentially) protruding inward at the top of stroke, begins removing land material. Leaking of the compression rings (over oval bore) allows combustion gasses to torch past, further removing land material and forming carbon on piston skirt. Leakage results in elevated temperatures and a bootstrapping effect ensues.

So what you see is not a detonation induced failure, rather a bore distortion issue. It can be exacerbated by clogged cooling fins or stuck rings, as the other observers correctly contributed. The problem can be minimized by keeping cooling system clean and debris-free, running unleaded gas (lowering carbon formation), pulling head and checking for carbon (every 500 hours), and using MMO in gas. Synthetic oil will form less carbon in combustion chamber, and will also contribute to better lubrication of bore/piston interface.

Latest posts

Back