• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through April 05, 2013

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Could someone give me the dimensions of the hydraulic cylinder (IH 548040-R3). The closed position overall length, and the extended length.
Thanks, Reggie

Matthew Pramas

I would check the rag joint and the back end of your drive shaft.Not much else could rub , you might have the rag joint tore up.On a 123 Narrow frame you will have to have a look under the Cub to see it. WF you can pull the cover in front of the seat but not on a NF.
angel.gif

MYRON - Are you sure IH owned Prestolite? I scheduled batteries at FARMALL for three years... One of those "And all other assigned duty" things. First year, 1979, they came from Delco in Olatha, KS, second year, 1980, from Prestolite in Toledo, OH, then back to Delco in 1981. Those batteries were private labeled, had the IH label on them instead of the manufacturer.

I remember IH advertising Prestolite batteries as far back as the 1960's but I don't think IH had any financial interest in the co. They were just another "outside supplier" just like Delco, Taymore Ind.(wire harness') Stopler Ind. (plastic fuel tanks), and all my tire & rim suppliers, GY, BFG, Firestone, Armstrong, EWC, French & Hecht, & Motor Wheel.

I suspect the grp #26 battery was a size developed for the smaller cars when they became popular in the 1970's. According to Prestolite's website they have stopped making batteries and concentrate on heavy-duty starters & alternators for specialized applications.

Reggie
thanks I will have to take a look under it. I am only a teenager, and a novice when it comes to these cub cadets, so I appreciate the advise. Is the rag joint the circular rubber disk? What will the torn rag joint look like?

thanks I will have to take a look under it. I am only a teenager, and a novice when it comes to these cub cadets, so I appreciate the advise. Is the rag joint the circular rubber disk? What will the torn rag joint look like?

Dennis F: For brevity, I kinda short cut that story a bit... PRESTOLITE was a Battery and Sparkplug brand then owned by the Eltra Corporation of Canada. My manuals state on the covers that PRESTOLITE was THE IH Approved Battery. Apparently IH bought the battery division from the Eltra Corporation and renamed it Fleetrite which makes the Fleetrite and International brand batteries to this day. Agricultural Equipment Parts (AEP) Parts Price Bulletins AEP-204, Aug 24, 1977 and AEP-181, June 1, 1977 announced the "Total New Private Brand Battery Program". Prior to this, IH also used some Delco and Willard batteries as you indicated. My major point being that the UI Lawn & Garden batteries were the only ones listed in the TC-113s and that nothing indicates or suggests that BCI Group 26 batteries or any other automotive batteries were shipped with new Cub Cadets. If anyone can prove differently, I surely would like to have it.

Dennis,

I agree with your question to Myron.

I remember as a kid, I ran for a lot of parts for dad, along with changing a few points and plugs in IH and other brands. I remember Prestolite batteries in IH and I believe Chrysler used them as well. IH trucks seemed to use what ignition systems they had on the shelf. Some were Delco, others were Autolite and still others were something else. Actually, I am surprised that all the starter-generators were Delco. Autolite and Prestolite were in the generator business, too.

Low Bid Wins?

Dennis F: For brevity, I kinda short cut that story a bit... PRESTOLITE was a Battery and Sparkplug brand then owned by the Eltra Corporation of Canada. My manuals state on the covers that PRESTOLITE was THE IH Approved Battery. Apparently IH bought the battery division from the Eltra Corporation and renamed it Fleetrite which makes the Fleetrite and International brand batteries to this day. Agricultural Equipment Parts (AEP) Parts Price Bulletins AEP-204, Aug 24, 1977 and AEP-181, June 1, 1977 announced the "Total New Private Brand Battery Program". Prior to this, IH also used some Delco and Willard batteries as you indicated. My major point being that the UI Lawn & Garden batteries were the only ones listed in the TC-113s and that nothing indicates or suggests that BCI Group 26 batteries or any other automotive batteries were shipped with new Cub Cadets. If anyone can prove differently, I surely would like to have it.

MYRON - I still don't think IH bought into a battery co. Nothing I have on IH history or products has ever mentioned IH owning any part of a battery plant or company. And IH used more than a few Delco batteries. Between Farmall & Stieger which Farmall supplied with batteries, they used about 300/day @ FARMALL, and around 100-120/week at Stieger. The 2WD 86-series used two smaller batteries than the 2-2's & Stiegers, and the two biggest Stiegers used three batteries per tractor. Not sure what IH EM did for batteries, but I suspect they used a lot of Delco's too. In '79 & '81, 100% of my batteries were supplied by Delco, only in '80 was 100% supplied by Prestolite.

A private branded battery could be a private label battery made by some other company. Wouldn't have to be an IH plant.

Wish I knew more about who LVL used for suppliers for their equipment, but we had three people out of twelve in our scheduling dept. working full time trying to get parts OUT of LVL to keep FARMALL running. LVL had their hands full keeping us running let alone themselves and any other ag plant they supplied parts to.

The ignition side of Prestolite sounds like it would have competed almost directly against IH's West Pullman plant where they made magnetos, distributors, carburetors, and hardware.

The '63 vintage CC Dad bought new had the UI size battery in it, as did the #70 bought new in '65. Back then a new battery had to be purchased every spring because the life expectancy was "Maybe" a year. Sometimes that new battery in the spring would have to sit on the charger for an hour before the 7 HP Kohler would start to mow the last time or two for the year.

Not sure about how other's discovered the grp 26 battery, but Dad gave me the old battery out of his '78 Ford Fiesta when he replaced it in winter of '81 about the time I bought my 72. It lasted till middle of the summer and finally died. I got more than slightly irritated and took some measurements to my local Farm & Fleet store and bought the biggest car battery that would fit under the hood and inside the battery box. Turned out it was a Grp #26 which I've used ever since. And I'm sure I'm not the first one who's used them. So NO, IH never used a grp #26 battery in a CC, they just fit and work great. Which is what we all want correct? I had some time to kill yesterday AM in the Sears automotive center. The 340 CCA UI battery was $45, the 540 CCA grp 26 battery was $55. And I get 6-8 yrs from them. Only a UI battery fits under the seat of my 982 so I have to run the small battery in it.

how do you or can you adjust the timing on my 10hp kohler thank's John Sergeant

Latest posts

Back