• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through April 05, 2012

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Joe - I've never used the heat and wax method myself. Have a look at Bill Jamison's messages below. In one he describes how he did it.

Hydro Harry
Old Cubs Never Die

I work at a machine shop had some pipes come in from a power plant. Had to do some work on them,but had to take out some set screws.2" set screw had to come out to do the machining on the tubes. We had big heat and 6 foot bar on them no go. The mech at the power plant brought over bees wax. Heated up so wax would flow in let cool and the set screws came right out.

Dear Bill Jamison, thank you for posting your knowledge about the wax. That is a real help to me. I have some wheel studs on a cub that are way too tight to get off so I am going to use your method thank you for the help and, you too Harry Hydro for telling me who posted it. Yes, I have used a wire brush to clean the studs that sticks out the hub backside to ease removal.

Christopher,
At the risk suggesting what may already be obvious to you.... Once you do get the nut off, I recommend you use a little anti-seize compound prior to reassembly. I had been using and maintaining mowers for nearly two decades before I learned this secret from a very wise man. I've never struggled to remove a mower blade with hand tools since. If you don't already have some, get an 8 oz bottle of Permatex with the brush in the cap and you'll have a supply for years and years and use it on lots of other things too.
Good Luck, Mike

This is the type of diesel power you need.
237438.jpg

Mike,
Thanks for the post about anti-seize. I have been using it for years also. I have both aluminum and cooper based. The deck I'm working I recenlty pickup and I think it's been outside for a long time.

Question about tillers. I purchased a 147 with a tiller on the back. It appears that when I lift the tiller that the short belt from the right angle box to the tiller gear loosens somewhat but then tightens back up when I lower it. Is this normal? Is there supposed to be an idler pulley between the big pulley and the small drive pulley or should the belt be tight across the two pulleys? Previous owner may have rigged it a little. Not sure.

Everybody must be out shopping for Easter.
bouncy.gif
I spent all day working on my Cub building.

237458.jpg

It took a little longer since I had to take half of the stuff out and move the other half around several times.

237459.jpg

These guys are anxious for a refurb job!

237460.jpg

This one wants to get back in the building. He made it back in about 9:30PM.

237461.jpg

Thanks for the info on the tiller Charlie. The manual link was extremely helpful. I think the belt may be too long or maybe just out of adjustment. I'll look and see if there is any more take up left on the adjustment. Not sure what size belt should be on it.

I was looking at my cub book and is the yellow any different between 1x9 and QL my book says 483 and 483B for colors

Tom did IH make that or was it Lawnboy like the push mower and what year is that snowthrower

I bought it in a bunch of three. One IH and two Toro 200's. They all look the same so I assume it was made by Toro. The IH was the runner, but the PO pulled out the starting cord. I'm going to swap the best of the two Toro's to the IH.

Latest posts

Back