• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through April 01, 2013

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lpalma

displayname
Lewis Palma
Here is a new to me 86 I picked up this weekend from the original owners nephew.Looks like it was taken care of and put inside when not in use.I've never had one of these and have been looking for one for a while.
I put in a new clutch and 3 pin driver as the other blew apart.I runs well and there is no smoke from the motor.
Needs a hood and a nose which I have off a 109,but I would rather find an original 86 hood so I do not have to change the decals.The grill and some parts were included.
Nice and clean 38" mower deck that runs very quite.

256456.jpg

256457.jpg

256458.jpg

256459.jpg

256460.jpg

Lewis very nice, makes me want a gear drive now

Nice find Lewis!

Well, I bit the bullet and ordered a new starter for the Onan in my 982. $382.00 US later. I have a new starter on its way. Not a crappy China built one either. Hopefully this solves the starting issue with the 982? Was looking over the old one (which I think was the original one) and its kinda rough. Took it over to the neighbour, an old guy who is always fixing tractors and he kinda looked at it and and me and said not to spend the time or effort in fixing it. He would have given me a new one to replace it if he had one. He said by the time I did find the parts and paid for them, I wouldn't be much further ahead. So I ordered it online tonight, should have it next week sometime if the US Postal Service treats me right!

Still searching for the fuel lines for my 100, gee whizz, its like trying to fine hen's teeth around here! Everyone wants to put on black rubber lines. I don't want that, I want what I am showing them!

Mike, have you considered using copper fittings that use a ferrule. You would have to change the fittings on the carb and the fuel bowl also. You can also buy a tubing bender for the copper (you can bend the tubing by hand if you fill with a fine sand first, keeps from kinking the copper). These should be available at hardware stores.

Mike - can you post a pic of exactly what you're looking for in fuel lines? Someone here has to have what you need, can make one, or tell you where to find one.

A quote from Norm, "The plastic on all my knobs are dingy, rough, & dull. Anyone have a way to rejuvenate them?".

HAHAHAHAHAHA..............but seriously give 3-4 applications a day or so apart of Armorall(sp)
the stuff you use on vinyl seat and dashes. And then you can polish your knob.

<font size="-2">OK, So I'm a smart a$$. What about it?</font>

Tom - sounds like you've had a little experience with polishing!! And, please spare us the before and after pics!!

1650 update: Spent some quality time with the 1650 this evening. Finished-up pinching the axle clevis and reassembled the front axle. Repositioned the hydro lift lever back into proper position (it was pushed far forward), gave the steering box a shot of grease, removed the drive shaft so I could install a new fan on it.

Hopefully I can get this tractor going before to much longer.

I would think the armorall would help the color, but wouldn't do anything for the roughness.

Lewis_ Is that the Cub you got up Frank`s way (Maine)? It sure look like it was looked after and was not left where it was last used. I hate to see equipment left sitting with no cover.

Denny has stories to tell so I think i will share one. I was in hospital have a hip replacement and they brought a guy in that got run over by his tractor. seems they were putting in hay and used one tractor to run a belt for the elevator to get the bails in the upper barn loft. He reached over to start the tractor and it started in gear and run over him.Broke one leg and cause a lot of swelling . Well I got an invite to see his farm and my better half and I drove to the Noel shore for a visit. He and his wife loaded us into there car to show us around . He said after a few minutes what do you think of my land and farm. I said you own all this? Fields on both sides of the road for quite a few miles and tractors with balers still attached . I said now who would let all that equipment site out in the weather. There was 5 tractors and all other farm equipment just parked and left. His wife said and laughed those are all Willies tractors. He leased land to the Mennonites and I got to see some neat farm land. I saw women in the fields with dresses over pants wile wearing rubber boots. I asked Willie just how much land do you have.He said Well Maud knows more than I can tell . They live next to the Bay a Fundy and behind there house the banks are 100' or more high in places. when the tide is out there is no water to be seen in the Bay. A few hrs later and the thing is full. When the tide comes in it will with a wall of water that can be 12' high. You guys can look that info up if you want. or
http://www.pond5.com/stock-footage/8570082/hopewell-rocks-highest-tides-earth-bay-fundy-nova-scotia.html?gclid=CK2N29CLq7YCFfA-Mgod3BoApA

And this is neat http://bayoffundy.com/about/highest-tides/

256483.jpg

Here is a shot of the maiden voyage of my "Big Blue" 123. new battery, Carb kit, clean gas tank, change engine oil, new hydro filter, new hydro oil, un-stick hydro bypass buttons, new tubes in front tires. Ran awesome and mowed great. It was fun driving with the hydrostatic drive. Very responsive.

Harry, here is a pic from the back of my 123. As you can see, it is unobstructed to the top of the hydro where the bypass buttons are. Is there something missing from my CC?
256486.jpg

Scott - geez, you got the tubes and are even driving it around. Looks like someone was trying to make a Ford out of it when they painted it that blue color. I hope you have the air cleaner for it. I wouldn't be mowing the grass or even run it more than you have to. With that open carb you'll be sucking dust in and end up scoring the cylinder. You are missing the back of the seat support which is why you could see the back of the hydro pump. I didn't recall or realize you could actually see that much of the hydro pump itself. And now that we can you really need to get that pump cleaned off. Looks like it has 50 years of grim built up on it, and the cooling from the fan on the other side isn't gonna do any good. I think you've conquered your first feat and that was to get the tractor running and driving and operating (since you mentioned cutting grass the PTO clutch has to be working), so you're well on your way. Now you need to let us know just what your intentions are with the tractor. You said you ordered new tires so I'm guessing a good clean up, tune up, and work up are in order. I sure hope you have plans to do something about the paint as well. Let us know what you've planned.
And by the way, I just realized you're over towards Walla Walla. I was thinking you were just across the Sound from me, but you're alot farther than I thought.

Harry I am just East of Kennewick. Yes, quite a ways from you. Of course I thought you were originally talking about Mill Creek which is next to Walla Walla so I was equally confused.
I do have the air cleaner and just failed to reinstall. Thanks for reminder. Tires. When I went to drop off the tires the tire guy said that there was nothing wrong with the current tires and said he didn't think I needed tires unless I really wanted them. I opted for tubes and he cancelled my tire order. I love honest salesmen. The first order of business is to drop the mower deck and give it a good cleaning. I lubed it up but don't want to run much without checking the rest of the hardware and sharpening the blades. As you said there is grime on the hydro. I suspect a leak since there was no oil in it when I got it. I checked somewhat but could find no fresh oil. I will clean it good while I have the deck off.
Here the story of it's arrival at my place. I went to buy a 5' pull behind finish mower I found on craigslist. When I arrived at the guy's place he had a ton of farm stuff and had to be out of his place in 48 hours. He sold me the finish mower for almost nothing. I saw the lawn tractor (blue 123) and thought it would be great to pull the finish mower around. I asked him what he wanted and he said $100. I looked closer at the 123 and naively thought it wasn't worth much more than scrap weight and told him I would pass on the tractor. He then said "why don't you take it for free and save me the trip to the recycler". He said he had rebuilt the engine and it ran great when he had last ran it. Once home I got to looking at it and thought it was cool. of course I like old things that are well built (I'm still married after all
happy.gif
). My full size tractor is a 1962 Massey. I decided to try to make it run cheaply and use it to pull the finish mower. As of right now that is still my plan but I need to get the finish mower going. Both the CC and the finish mower were just parked and forgotten for a year or two. A proper paint job for the CC is really beyond my skill level. If I thought I could do a reasonable job I might give it a shot some day.

Hello all. Quick question: were the old metal starter solenoids all silver or were they painted yellow? Thanks

Terry D.
They were not painted yellow,but they may have yellow overspray on the from the PO ,also Mike P. is looking for this type of setup for his 100.I had some of these but I am keeping the rest for my 100 restore

I am sure one of our sponsors have these.

256501.jpg

Charlie,

Thanks for the clarification. I was thinking of the IH emblem on the Scout II's which are definitely smaller than those used on the Quietlines. I didn't think about the earlier Scout 80 models.

Scott,
You are actually lookng for two pieces, the fender plate (the piece with the IH decal on it) and tunnel cover (the piece with the two bolts through it).
256511.jpg

Back