• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Applied physics 101

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kendell Ide,
Mark me as a man. I was wrong. But all in all not bad from a flawed memory of events that took place over 20 years ago.

Richard:
thumbsup.gif

Remember, it was 45 years ago for me, and I was the one mumbling...I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I have to delve into this stuff once in a while just to keep my brain functioning... I tend to have a "feel" for a lot of this stuff, it's like my knowledge of electronics - reading about Ohms law in a book didn't sink in, but after a few years of working on radios, the function of components fell into place. Same with Single and 3 phase electrical, HVAC, Data Communications and all the other things it took to manage operation a large data center. Retirement has made me feel stale and wringing out a question or two once in a while makes the 'ol brain warm up....

err.gif

If HP = heat, how much HP is being produced from the residule heat when a Kolher over heats and seizes up?

Dennis,
Would you like to add some alcohol, LP, or water injection into that diesel engine. I have personally experienced the LP injection. It sure turns a 70 hp engine into a 110 hp power plant with a flip of a switch.

Lonny

HP is not equal to Heat.

There is zero HP being created from residual heat. When energy is converted to heat it is often lost and never regained.

Jim Patchett
SR. R&D Automotive Test Engineer
Vehicle Thermal Systems and Engine Cooling

Allen

otherwise wouldn't more cars have a diesel engine??

With the small diesel engines, I think they would be more popular if more manufacturers put the time and research into them as Mercedes Benz and VW do.

I was able to acquire a good amount (about 800 gallons) of pure, virgin, food grade corn oil. I have done a little experimentation with mixing this with diesel fuel in a Kubota 3-cylinder diesel engine. It "appears" to run ok on this mixture. I started out at about a 10% mixture and have not gone over a 50-50 mixture yet. I would like to use it in my Ford 7.3L turbo diesel but am a little afraid to do so. I really don't want to hurt the engine in my 5th wheel hauler!

Does anyone have any experience, advice, expertise or knowledge that may help me out?

Thanks,
Rob

Robert, two words, "gas tax" or would that be "road tax"? careful about using that in a road vehicle, I recall news stories about people getting in trouble for not paying the tax. IIRC Brendan did a little research into this some time back.

Strong thought, Kraig. I meant that I may want to use it in my "wood hauling truck" that I use on my own property up north!
proud.gif
and I don't want it to
explotar2jr.gif

ROBERT, My '96 PSD-powered F-250 has just short of 300,000 miles on it.

From what little I've read on "Bio-diesel" which is what Your corn oil actually is, it tends to jell up bad in cold weather. If Your "Wood Hauler" has to start when it's cold I'd leave at least a winter blend of #1 & #2 diesel fuel in it. Most engines converted to run bio-diesel have fuel heaters to pre-heat the fuel before injection, YES, I know, the PSD has a heated fuel filter but it's not big enough.

Dennis,
Thanks for the info. My 1-ton "wood hauler" has a little over 218,000 mi and runs great. It is a 2000 and when I bought it I figured that I would not even consider a replacement until 250,000 mi. I still LOVE my truck!

I have heard that there may be some "jelling" problems when it get cold out but I was more afraid of what the "sugars" (if that is what they are) would do to the internals of the engine. We used to use this material as die lube in our manufacturing process and when it was left out to the air along the process it would build up an extrememly hard residue that would have to be chipped off the machinery. I just didn't want it "building up" inside my engine anywhere.

One Tip on the 7.3 PSD fuel heater. They are in the fuel bowl with the fuel filter. The circuit that runs the fuel filter also runs the ECM. Many a 7.3 have been stopped in their tracks by the fuel heater. If you have a no-start or run and dies, check the fuse for the fuel heater, if it is blown, unplug the heater replace the fuse and you should be back in business..... just a little PSA....

ROBERT - IMHO, a SUPER-DUTY is WAY too nice to be a "Wood Hauler" at least in Wisconsin! You need something more like a late '60's early to mid '70's. Sheet metal & doors are a liability, just get in the way.

With the Great Fuel debate from last week I thought that this picture that I ran accross from a few years back would be just what the Doc prescibed. The picture was taken at a "Weed Wacker" tractor pull. I didn't dig it up on some search engine. I think this says it all. As Joe Friday says "The facts Mam, just the facts"
179361.jpg

Most do after they've jumped the track....

TOM H. - Gas & diesel fuel debates are exactly like motor oil debates. You can state Your case, give examples, quote SAE papers, post links to technical sites,

And in the end people will continue to keep doing whatever they were doing.

SON has found a website, I need to get the name of it, but everyone from NASCAR engine builders, TOP Fuel, FC, & Pro-Stock engine builders, even some F-1 team engineers post questions & answers there. Not Guys that were involved 20 yrs ago, but the guys who work & tune them NOW.

Latest posts

Back