• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Any John Deere owners???

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Steve,
I'll connect it directly to a new battery and see what happens. Thanks!

I'm also going to connect the 2nd ground to see if it makes any difference whatsoever.

Thanks, all.

I connected the field coil directly to a new battery that showed 12.2 volts across the posts. The field generated was still weak and spotty so I went shopping on epay tonight for a replacement coil. John Deere has really got this all figured out - discouraging you to keep their old stuff running thru ultra high prices, that is.

Thanks to all for helping.

Got my front plate weights cut & drilled today. Here's a shot of how they look. Imagine, if you will, that they're yellow and you'll get the full monty, so to speak.

Hoping to set the engine for the final time this weekend. Which would be awesome.
314194.jpg

Received the new field coil for the 322. Tested and installed it. All is well with the lawn mower once again. Only a few swear words were required during install so I consider that a Big win.

It's not a good project until you've "insulted" it's mother!!!

Speaking of JD owners ..... Small Engine Warehouse used to sell an engine swap kit to put a Kohler Command in the 318, 420, and the like. According to SEW they discontinued this kit in 2013.

Does anyone know anyone making the drive adapter to go from the driveshaft with an Onan bolt pattern to a Kohler Command flywheel?

Well, it had to eventually happen: I got the JD to fire today. Odd situation - I attempted to use the (new) JD ignition switch which is a 5-prong device. Everything worked except no "fire" to the plugs. Installed the 6-prong B&S switch, one prong of which is not used, and the old girl fired right up.

Fitment will be easier with the JD switch so I'll map it again with a continuity meter and see what I missed on round one.

In any event, it was nice to hear that V-twin finally come to life.

Keith E. That's great news.
happy.gif

Question. My son said that he has a friend that wants to give him a John Deere 212 with a deck that's been sitting for 15 years. My son doesn't want it so I told him that I'd take it. Am I nuts? I don't want to see it parted or scrapped.

Keith E. Thank you for the positive feedback. I'm hoping to pick it up next month. Even Charlie has a green tractor.
315829.gif

Here's a pic of my 317 project. The remaining item to complete is having an outlet crafted for the muffler through the LH side sheet. Got it set up for Thursday to have a buddy with a muffler shop to help me out.
315894.jpg

Not sure how to the route the choke cable on this set up so I may run without. When I put an engine like this in my old Cub Cadet 129 I didn't have to contend with the side sheets. It's no big deal but I'm pretty picky on the details so I'll keep percolating on a solution.

Keith E. It looks SWEET!!!! I wish that I could have kept the 318 but I made sure that it went to a good home. (And I helped the new owner find a hydraulic front blade for a very reasonable price.)

Finally got back to my project tractor this weekend. I've been (slowly) rebuilding a substitute rear end for the 317 since the one under it currently leaks hydro fluid profusely.

Also got the plow Steve gave me cleaned up and back together. A little more wrenching and I'll be ready for a plow day!

In other Cub-related news, I recently purchased a 2005 Cub Cadet GT3200. It required a lot more love to get it going than I originally planned. Got to mow part of the yard with it once and then it started missing and it smelled hot. Oh well, looks like a winter project has just been born......
316805.jpg

Keith E. It's looking good. Do you think that you will have it ready for Buck Creek Plow Day this fall? Right now I'm planning on renting a U Haul trailer and bringing the 782D, Keepsake 1650, and hoping to have the Super 108 fitted with a hitch so I can bring that.

Marlin,
It'll be ready to go plowing! Looking forward to that after an absence spanning many years.
Keith

Got the 317 split this afternoon and plan to install the freshened rear end tomorrow. If that goes as easily as disassembly I'll be tingling all over my body.
beerchug.gif

Latest posts

Back