• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Ag tires for XT3 GSX

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don StJean

I’m wondering if anyone has tried changing out the original turf tires and rims with agricultural wheels on a cadet. I don’t see an OE option for my XT3 GSX but wondered if this type of aggressive tire is available in 23” and if it would be an improvement over the original turf tires and chains when using the machine in the garden.
Here’s my story: Last summer, I bought a new XT3 GSX. The reason I went with this model was because I had multiple tasks in mind, which included mowing 1.5 acres in summer, bagging leaves in the fall, blowing snow in winter, and pulling a Brinly plow across my garden in the spring. The locking differential appealed to me, especially for these last two tasks. Thought I’d need both back wheels digging for the extra traction. I also purchased the 42” snowblower attachment when I bought the tractor, but as it turned out, last winter was unusual in that we didn’t get enough snow for me to try it out. Seems that my wife was able to predict that when said “now that you’ve bought a new snowblower, we won’t have to worry about getting any snow this winter.” And she was right.
This spring, I built a sleeve hitch, bought a Brinly plow and tried them out in the garden. The turf tires and chains are ok but I wonder if I would get better traction with ag tires. Would appreciate your thoughts on this before I go ahead and try to find wheels of that type that would fit this tractor.
I love the way this machine mows! With the 48” fabricated deck, i cut the grass in half the time that it took with my old 382. It also does a great job of chopping and bagging leaves. I built an adapter that allows me to blow the leaves directly into my tow behind cart.
I’ve posted a few pictures of the tractor with the new hitch and Brinly plow. I modeled the hitch after one that I saw online but anchored it into the frame and bottom lip using only existing holes rather than attach it to the back plate. The whole thing removes easily.

Attachments

• 4E4B35DA-D649-475D-9A99-4EE985A3FF7E.jpeg
    4E4B35DA-D649-475D-9A99-4EE985A3FF7E.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 10
  • 060E1823-D770-46D4-91BF-6F465A2C9E4C.jpeg
    060E1823-D770-46D4-91BF-6F465A2C9E4C.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 1E0B7FD8-CE6C-45DB-90EA-58B7237F3D83.jpeg
    1E0B7FD8-CE6C-45DB-90EA-58B7237F3D83.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 0
Thanks. Wondered about that. I’m guessing the hitch weighs about 50 lbs. Thought that would do the trick - maybe not.
I don’t rear plow, but I do have a push blade. From what I’ve learned from the others here on the site the weight of the Brinkley is not enough on its own. You will need another 75ish pounds on each rear wheel for sufficient digging traction. However, I question whether any of the new Cub’s drive trains can handle that kind of weight.

The weight of the plow doesn't help...it's not over the rear wheels, and it's being dragged through the ground.

I have ~250 lbs on the rear of my 782, between having the tires filled with RV antifreeze and wheel weights. XT3 is shaft drive IIRC and should be able to handle the weight. What does the owner's manual say?

When it comes to blowing
I don’t rear plow, but I do have a push blade. From what I’ve learned from the others here on the site the weight of the Brinkley is not enough on its own. You will need another 75ish pounds on each rear wheel for sufficient digging traction. However, I question whether any of the new Cub’s drive trains can handle that kind of weight.
The cub xt3 is a completely different animal than what you see at the big box stores. It's the only cub that is rated for ground engaging implements. I've been told that it's frame is an upgraded 3000 series. You should stop by a cub dealer and check one out. Really, it's as close to an ih cub as you can buy now days.

The weight of the plow doesn't help...it's not over the rear wheels, and it's being dragged through the ground.

I have ~250 lbs on the rear of my 782, between having the tires filled with RV antifreeze and wheel weights. XT3 is shaft drive IIRC and should be able to handle the weight. What does the owner's manual say?
The GSX has the BDU-10 to a cast iron transmission. I would hope it’s able handle the extra weight - though I don’t know how that system compares with the drivetrains on the older cubs. The owner’s manual is no help. There’s nothing on weight or towing capacity.
Wheel weights listed as accessories would only add an extra 100 lbs. I made my hitch out of 1/4” plate and angle. I haven’t weighed it but it’s got to be 50-60lbs or more. And it’s attached to the tractor right behind the wheels. The plow doesn’t count. As you pointed out, it’s in the ground. The only time it adds weight is when it’s raised. I’m going to try adding some extra weight to my hitch. With the extra weight behind the wheels, I’ll probably also have to add some extra weight up front so that I’m able to steer. I’ll also look for some heavier wheel weights than the ones that are available through the catalog. All in all I should be able to add an extra couple hundred pounds. Thanks for your reply.

These Ditch Witch wheel weights are what I use on my cubs and they are perfect. 100LB each and they fit inside the wheel. The only downside is they are a little heavy when installing. I have one tire that is checking and starting to leak and I have been just airing it up instead of fixing it because I haven't wanted to pull off the weight and put it back on.

1686922936360.png

I grabbed this picture off the web but they are exactly the same weights I have. These and tires full of fluid make a world of difference when pulling heavy things. My big roller is 3800LB when full of water and without the weight it has a tendency to push the tractor around but with the weight the tractor handles it fine.

I’m wondering if anyone has tried changing out the original turf tires and rims with agricultural wheels on a cadet. I don’t see an OE option for my XT3 GSX but wondered if this type of aggressive tire is available in 23” and if it would be an improvement over the original turf tires and chains when using the machine in the garden.
Here’s my story: Last summer, I bought a new XT3 GSX. The reason I went with this model was because I had multiple tasks in mind, which included mowing 1.5 acres in summer, bagging leaves in the fall, blowing snow in winter, and pulling a Brinly plow across my garden in the spring. The locking differential appealed to me, especially for these last two tasks. Thought I’d need both back wheels digging for the extra traction. I also purchased the 42” snowblower attachment when I bought the tractor, but as it turned out, last winter was unusual in that we didn’t get enough snow for me to try it out. Seems that my wife was able to predict that when said “now that you’ve bought a new snowblower, we won’t have to worry about getting any snow this winter.” And she was right.
This spring, I built a sleeve hitch, bought a Brinly plow and tried them out in the garden. The turf tires and chains are ok but I wonder if I would get better traction with ag tires. Would appreciate your thoughts on this before I go ahead and try to find wheels of that type that would fit this tractor.
I love the way this machine mows! With the 48” fabricated deck, i cut the grass in half the time that it took with my old 382. It also does a great job of chopping and bagging leaves. I built an adapter that allows me to blow the leaves directly into my tow behind cart.
I’ve posted a few pictures of the tractor with the new hitch and Brinly plow. I modeled the hitch after one that I saw online but anchored it into the frame and bottom lip using only existing holes rather than attach it to the back plate. The whole thing removes easily.
Here I go again. I hate wheel weights for the reason you might....a tire that needs attention is a P I T A when weights have to come off and then put back on; you need strength from God. To move snow, I've used Carlisle AG tires for years with 160 lbs on the 'back porch.' You may hear that this will wear out wheel bearings - won't happen in my long term experience - wheel weights are not better. However, rather than buy another set of tires why not use 2-link (not 4-link) chains. Your rear hitch is substantial, a bit of ingenuity and you can add weight....search Suitcase weights that are made for rear application.
Lotsa luck, Jack

Here I go again. I hate wheel weights for the reason you might....a tire that needs attention is a P I T A when weights have to come off and then put back on; you need strength from God. To move snow, I've used Carlisle AG tires for years with 160 lbs on the 'back porch.' You may hear that this will wear out wheel bearings - won't happen in my long term experience - wheel weights are not better. However, rather than buy another set of tires why not use 2-link (not 4-link) chains. Your rear hitch is substantial, a bit of ingenuity and you can add weight....search Suitcase weights that are made for rear application.
Lotsa luck, Jack
The thing about chains is they pick up dirt and grass, tracking into your storage building.

When it comes to blowing

The cub xt3 is a completely different animal than what you see at the big box stores. It's the only cub that is rated for ground engaging implements. I've been told that it's frame is an upgraded 3000 series. You should stop by a cub dealer and check one out. Really, it's as close to an ih cub as you can buy now days.
XT3 is no longer produced. Last offered last model year. A Cub dealer might still have one but it will be a 2022 or older.

XT3 is no longer produced. Last offered last model year. A Cub dealer might still have one but it will be a 2022 or older.
That’s interesting. Had trouble finding this one in summer ‘22. I thought it was just that I was late in the season. Has Cub replaced this model with another that’s capable of pulling ground engaging attachments?

Lotsa luck, Jack
Lotsa luck, Jack
These Ditch Witch wheel weights are what I use on my cubs and they are perfect. 100LB each and they fit inside the wheel. The only downside is they are a little heavy when installing. I have one tire that is checking and starting to leak and I have been just airing it up instead of fixing it because I haven't wanted to pull off the weight and put it back on.

View attachment 154353

I grabbed this picture off the web but they are exactly the same weights I have. These and tires full of fluid make a world of difference when pulling heavy things. My big roller is 3800LB when full of water and without the weight it has a tendency to push the tractor around but with the weight the tractor handles it fine.
Wow! These are substantial. I can see how they would improve the traction. Can also see why you wouldn’t want to be taking them off and putting them back on unless you really had to. Thanks for the reply.

Lotsa luck, Jack
I actually like the idea of being able to add or subtract weight. To me, it doesn’t make a lot of sense to carry weight year round. Most of my mowing is on the flat so I really only need the extra traction for half the year when I’m towing my firewood trailer around, blowing snow, or plowing the garden. I can easily add weight to the hitch, but as I mentioned in a previous reply, I will also need to counter balance that weight up front. I had difficulty steering with the brinly plow in the raised position - and that was without extra weight behind the back wheels. Thanks for the tip on the the 2-link chains. I’ll definitely look into that.

I didn't know that. They even removed the xt3 from the cub web page. I think it sucks, but I suppose more people are buying the small Kubota and ls tractors than the big cub cadet. I think that's the end of cub cadet garden tractors. 😢 Looking at their web page, they are really steering people towards the light duty, electric lawn mowers.

From what I have read I believe you would see some improvement in traction with the ag tires in a number of situations. Would it be worth it? Well maybe.

I do have an 1862 with ag style tires on it. It also has wheel weights and chains as I use it primarily to clear a relatives drive and leave it there. It doesn't seem to have any traction issues, and what little I used it at home to mow with it went right up a steep bank.

I can see that wheel weights would make tire repair, ect, a bit more work. But strength of God? Um, well, try putting wheel weights on a farmall m or h. Garden tractor weights are not that bad comparatively. And even tractor weights are not awful with some preparation and planning. The 100# ditch witch weights I will grant you would be harder, but most garden tractor weights are not that bad. I currently have 3 set up with weights.

From what I have read I believe you would see some improvement in traction with the ag tires in a number of situations. Would it be worth it? Well maybe.

I do have an 1862 with ag style tires on it. It also has wheel weights and chains as I use it primarily to clear a relatives drive and leave it there. It doesn't seem to have any traction issues, and what little I used it at home to mow with it went right up a steep bank.

I can see that wheel weights would make tire repair, ect, a bit more work. But strength of God? Um, well, try putting wheel weights on a farmall m or h. Garden tractor weights are not that bad comparatively. And even tractor weights are not awful with some preparation and planning. The 100# ditch witch weights I will grant you would be harder, but most garden tractor weights are not that bad. I currently have 3 set up with weights.
Back in the day I used wheel weights and, excuse me, they are not a 'bit more work.' I needed heavenly strength to help deal with the frustration of not only getting them off but then back on. Never again....for me, it's AG tires and back porch weight. So simple. So stress-free.
Jack

Oh come on......!!It cant be that bad!
I deal with this every spring and fall and don't consider it a big deal.
Do I look forward to it? no.
Bit get it done.
And this is for turf tires that are fluid filled with 2 link chains for the 882 and snow blade. It gets filled and weighted ag's for the summer and dirt work.
Just takes a little ingenuity is all.

Latest posts

Back