• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

782 won't start

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jshoemaker

displayname
James Shoemaker
I had an issue with my tractor today. I was cutting grass and stopped and shut it off for a few minutes and it wouldn't start back up. Depress the brake and turn the key, nothing. It wouldn't turn over or anything. I took the switch out and put a test light on it and wasn't getting power to the solenoid when key was turned. Cleaned the contacts on the switch and on the harness plug abs still nothing then one time it started right up. It continued to work fine then I turned it off later and it did the same thing. I could crank it with a screwdriver and jump the posts on the solenoid and it would start every time. Bad key switch, or bad pto switch (it has been hard to engage). where do I start checking testing or just start replacing stitches? Also the seat switch is bypassed by the PO so I don't think that could be it.

A bad solenoid ?
1a_scratchhead.gif

I cleaned the pto switch and harness connections and it runs perfect now. It starts in every attempt now. I let it heat up and shut it off and it cranked up and pto works on demand now as well. No delay whatsoever now. Any thoughts on this as to why it seemed to fix it? I'm waiting on the service manual to get here so right now this forum is all I've got to go on for answers.

Jim, you have an outdoor tractor thats been around for a while. I dont think the company actually expected these to be around for so long. There for probabily didnt make the connector shells quite as moisture tight as todays cars. Corrosion/rust on Cubs is a well recognised problem. Many times just sliding the connector on/off is enough to clean the contact surfaces. When I was in the electronics industry, the first thing to do when a power problem was suspected was to reseat all the connectors! Worked a large % of the time.
Back to your situation...auto stores have a product known as 'bulb/lamp grease'. Its used to prevent further corrosion on lamp bases and connectors as necessary. Might not hurt to put some on all the connectors you can reach. JMHO

Allen, you are correct in that I found alot of corrosion along with a bunch of dirt and water and crud for lack of a better word inside the plastic connectors. Hopefully cleaning everything thoroughly will take care of it. I'll pick up some of that bulb grease to. I'll have to get under the dash this winter and fix some other wires that the PO wired together with house wire nuts. I hate shortcuts like that. Thanks for the input Mr. Schumacher

James - <font color="0000ff">Mr. Schumacher</font> ?? Gawd I hope you haven't started something ... !

<font size="-2">pun ? no pun ?</font>

Well I was going to tell you what I use BUT I must have left it in the garage last fall instead of bringing it back out here to da shack (where it belongs) but it amounts to the same thing <font color="0000ff">Mr. Schumacher</font> said to use.
I put it on the pigtail on my truck for the trailer lights. Seems the road salt likes to eat up pigtails ... as tastey as pork rinds ?

Ken, it was just a joke bein that he and I have similar last names. I only know about 3 ppl with a variation of my last name.

James - I know one of them fellers here but I don't know how he spells it.

<font color="0000ff">Just don't start something that we'll ALL have to live with !</font>

<font size="-2">he's hard enough to live with now</font>
biggrin.gif

Here's what I use
228058.jpg

And it's MADE IN USA
Don't take my word for it ... read the tube !

Ken, thanks I'll have to get some of that when when I get back to tha house today.

James - I wouldn't know where to tell ya to look for it unless you have a <font size="-2">ex</font>friend that works at the phone company ... that's where my tube came from.

ken, my pa in law is a retired electrician for a great big carpet fiber manufacturer and I think I've seen some of that in his shop. If he don't have any I'm sure he knows someone that will. Wow, this might be the first time he's been useful and not a pain in the (bad word) since he said I could marry his daughter...

James' "Smart Phone" isn't ...
... so without further ado here is his 782 pics via "Dumb PC".
After I resized his 8.68meg pics that is
biggrin.gif

Pic 1
228067.jpg

Pic 2
228068.jpg

Pic 3
228069.jpg

Pic 4
228070.jpg

Pic 5
228071.jpg

Pic 6
228072.jpg

Side panel sticker
228073.jpg

We have or had (not been by there) a Wilson Eq. here.

James - Did he really do you any favors by saying "take her she's all yours" ?
1a_scratchhead.gif

Yeah the phone isn't so smart sometimes (could be operator error tho) but it lets me get on here and see all this info so it still does pretty good. And wilson eq. was the local massey and cub dealer in spartanburg sc 30 years ago. Now all they sell are those green and yellow machines

Ken, I've wondered that myself. I spent 2 years trying to get her to marry me and 5 years trying to give her back!

James - Warranty ran out huh ...
Our local MF dealer sells those orange ones now.
Our Wilson handles heavy equipment.
They compete with our Wayne Supply.

Now whut bout them thar pikz ???

Ken, I really appreciate you posting those for me I been wanting to get some up since I bought it. One day when I'm all crowed up I'll figure out how to do that myself. What you think about my lil tractor?

Latest posts

Back