• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

782 engine swap, wiring sanity check

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tkhoffman

displayname
Tony Hoffman
The original kt17 needed 12v to the coil for the On/Off.
New to me engine has a magneto setup so Now the On/Off function will be nothing electrical to Run but the Off will be Shorting that coil to Ground. Correct?

Yes, the Magnum's magneto shorted to ground to kill the spark, all done with the key switch and the kill wire.

M18into782_2.jpg

Do you have to replace the switch?
I have converted a couple of battery ignition tractors over to the magneto ignition. I replaced the key switch with one from a 582 or 1811, then re-pinned the connector and ran wiring/ deleted wiring as needed. No issues with the conversions.

I have the original schematic. 10 years ago I made s new harness. No ignition key...Main toggle Switch to send 12v to coil as well as to headlight and Mule switches. Ill simply csp off the 12v wire to voil and add a switch to Ground to attach to new coil. I assumed this, was just confirming.
I'll start pulling out the kt17 if it would stop snowing. The mounting plate is an oily mess. Not garage worthy.
It looks like , the best way to take this engine out is by unbolting the mounting plate. Take it out with plate attached. Yes? No?

Latest posts

Back