• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

46gt deck question

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmeyer

displayname
michael meyer
hi all!
i have installed the 46GT deck under my 682 - i had no idea what belt to use from the motor to the deck, so i measured and used a Gates B99 belt. it worked, and mowed fantastic, but the belt is coming apart - i dont think this belt likes the compound bends it has to make. my question is what belt should i be using? thanks all!!!

Those Gates black belts are not meant for twisting and turning, as you've just discovered. Go to your local CC dealer and get a 954-3042 belt. That is the belt you should be using: the OEM belt.

thanks a bunch matt! i had a couple original belts laying around, but those are for the 44c and 50c decks, and this 46gt belt is much longer - problem i had was i do not know what tractor numbers that this deck came with originally - that made it impossible to find the right belt at the cub cadet dealer here.

so that part number belt will work great on a 682 with kohler KT17 and 46GT deck?

what tractors did this 46GT deck come from?

thanks!! you guys are great help!

That belt will work on any 82 series through early Cyclops, except the SGTs. I think the deck was introduced in the late 80's with the 1811 and such, but they were pretty common on the 'cyclops' tractors. I have one on my 782D that originally came from a 1541.

213175.jpg

cool - i will order that belt tonight.

interesting info i found on the cub cadet parts page - i found that there are 2 different 46GT decks, look similar, but they show a different belt number for each of them - one deck is listed as 321 , and the other is 336 - the belts they show for these are 754-3048 for the 321 deck, and 754-3043 for the 336 deck. of course the descriptions do not tell enough info to know if they are the same belt (or real close to it) but i thought it was interesting that neither number matches the belt number you gave me. is the number you have just a newer cross-reference number in the cub cadet part system?

nothin like a good parts hunt!! ;)
happy.gif

also, on fitting the deck to the mower, i found that i had to use the forward set of holes for where the long hanger arms are bolted the the very front mule drive (the pivot bolts) - if i did not do that, that main drive pulley on the deck would touch the brake shaft under the tractor

ok, i think i have this figured out now (looking at the cub cadet parts system again) - i just wanna write this somewhere in case someone else runs into the same thing - the 46GT deck model number i have is 336 in the cub cadet parts system. they do not show a belt for this in the mule drive part listing - however, they do reference the 333 mower adapter kit - so i looked up the mower adapter kit, and sure enough, they list the mule drive belt in that picture. that part number is: 754-3042B

so the only question i will have for the cub cadet parts guys will be this: is the 754-3042B belt that the parts system list online the same as the 954-3042 belt that Matt was kind enough to list on here (i bet it is) i will post that info later today hopefully so we have a definite full answer!

btw, Matt - awesome website you have!!

confirmed! looked up the 754-3042B number in the parts ordering system, and that number is superceded by the 954-3042B.

so anyone putting a 46GT deck (336) onto a 82 series tractor (except supers) needs to use the belt 954-3042B. just like Matt said. (not that i didnt believe him, just wanted proof through the CC parts system of where he got that number)

hope all this hunting helps someone else someday!

thanks again Matt!

Yep, a lot of the numbers that start with 7 now start with 9. My dealer told me CCC likes to change part numbers a lot...

ok, bummed now - got the belt - put it on - its about an 1" to 2" too long.... grrrr... now what? hopefully i can find one slightly shorter...

Michael, is it possible that because you had to mount the deck further forward than you anticipated, the correct(?) belt is now too long ?? I had not noticed any comments from Matt or others on whether the deck is actually properly set up. <font size="-2">(Just some dumb observations. A.)</font>

allen, that was the first thing i thought of too - but the installation manual for the mule drive/deck shows that it should be installed into that farther forward holes in the mule drive just like i have mine set up - i printed that document out last night and went over every connection/bolt to make sure they are all in the right place, and they are.

thats why im not sure what to do next - i have been trying to find a slightly shorter belt in the cub cadet parts system, but have not had much luck yet

maybe i could raise the engine up 1" ? or would that throw off the drive shaft angle too much?

if i put mine back one set of holes, my deck pulley grinds itself to death on the brake rocker shaft that hangs down just below the tractor frame

Are you sure you have all of the right parts? Mine works fine in that set of holes. I wonder if the pulley on your deck is meant for the later cyclops tractors that had bigger PTO clutch pulleys and therefore a larger driven pulley on the deck, too. A pic would be really helpful.

good idea - i will post some pictures tonight yet of the whole setup!

wouldn't smaller deck pulley make this belt be even more loose?

i wonder if there is a shorter double pulley stack - that might help?

Michael, if all else fails, phone or e-mail Charlie at C C S, he probabily knows off the top of his head what the next smaller belt is.

Back