• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

4-H small engine project

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgonitzke

displayname
Matt Gonitzke
Creative minds out there, I need some help. One of the neighbors has enlisted me to help her son with a 4-H project on small engines. He either has to display a disassembled or cutaway engine with the parts labeled and and explanation of its function, or make some kind of presentation about troubleshooting and maintaining something with a small engine. I'm leaning towards the latter because I've got a 125, 127, 102, and original that don't run and haven't in quite some time, and I thought he could observe me fix one up and take notes and pictures. My dad found me a junk B&S 3 horse pushmower that's so worn out it won't run, so the first idea is an option too. Anyone have any creative suggestions about what kind of thing to do and how to accomplish it? The kids aren't given a whole lot of direction for these projects, so a lot is left to the imagination... Any ideas are greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!
happy.gif

Matt,

First and formost, thank you for taking the time to care. As a former 4-H'er and a leader this is a great organization and your efforts will last the kids a life time.

My first suggestion is to make sure that he gets dirty on this one. This is were the real experiance takes place and make sure some one has a camera handy to take lots of pictures. Don't be affraid to ask your local extension office for help and advice, you more than likely to find those folks very informative or able to point you in the right direction.

Both directions are great but you may have to consider the boys age and level of experiance and go from there. The younger ones may have a hard time setting still and paying attention for a trouble shooting lesson where the 'cut away' idea goes a bit faster or just may be more interesting if he has never seen the inside of a motor. Just things to consider. Feel free to email me, I had over nine years in as a 4-H'er and would be glad to help in what ever way I can.

Good luck.

Brian

Thanks for all the info, Brian! I should have mentioned he's a 5th grader. The trouble shooting lesson may involve at least partially disassembling a motor, as I also have an 86 that I think needs a new governor.

Matt G: Wal-Mart has a clear see-thru working (rotates by battery motor)) model of a 4-cyl engine. It shows all the inner functions...Its a great teaching tool for the understanding of the four-cycle process....May not be what you need for the demo at 4-H, but it sure makes it all clear. I have one sitting on my counter that I use to make a point here and there...

Myron B

I wish more adults would get involved with the 4-H program.

I am a former 4-H'er, leader and been a small motors judge at The Ohio State Fair the last 5 years. Your local extension office should have a manual for a leader/helper.

First Year small motor 4-H'ers should know how to do regular maintance, ID parts of a small motor. ID hand tools, how to work on a motor with safety in mind, and explain each stroke in a 4 stroke motor.

A display identify the parts of a motor is what I see the most. Some will explain one of the systems that is needed to make a small motor able to run. Myron and Brian have good suggestions.

When my son Steve went through the 4-H small motor program I let him choose what experments he wanted to do. There are several in book the 4H'er gets(Ohio manual). He was out in the shop with me when I work on any small motor. Let him help you work on your Cubs.

Send me a email if you need any help. I would be glad to help.

Latest posts

Back