18Mag vs 18Command

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajtimm

displayname
Anthony Timm
Hi guys, so with great reluctance I purchased a very used 1862 after my second 1650 let me down. The snow needed blowing up here and I needed something quick.
After about two months I must say there is NO comparison.. Super Steer, Power Steering & Twin Mag are all well worth the price of admission. On the downside, I totally LOATH the plastic grill, hood & covers. They are horrid but do allow access to nearly all of the panel and wiring. Very nice.

Which leads me to the question of motors.. why is the Command considered more desirable over the Magnum? I've only ever known the Kohler 14-16hp and boy what a difference. Maybe its because its so smooth, it doesn't seem to be working as hard. I rarely even use full power for blowing.

Any other observations or advice on trouble area's are more than welcome.
THANKS

More desirable is a matter of opinion.

The twin engines are more balanced and will run smoother than a single cylinder engine.

The Commands are the first Kohlers with over head valve train (1991) and later models (1995) over head cam. The Magnums are a flat head and been around since 1986.

There is argueably the matter of which engine is more durable. The Command OHV & OHVC should produce more power with the same engine displacement, in theory.

Thanks for the info Jim.
I did not know the Command was OHV. That does seem to be a good reason; 'more hp on the same displacement'.

All I've ever known was the 1650, loose/hard steering, wide turns, small fuel tank, worn motor mounts.. It's like riding a solid mount Softail Harley vs Wide Glide.
I know all those gig's are repairable, my trusty 1650's have done right by me for years. We'll see how the "new kid" (read already 20yrs old) can hold his own cutting, bagging & blowing.

Now, if I can just find and answer to that beatup plastic grill.

The best way to fix an 1862 is to put the Mag 18 and power steering into a 782 with a blown engine
bouncy.gif

In addition to the plastic grille, hood, etc. the paint and wiring on that series are also terrible. I had an 1862 that I ended up parting out. Rusty, paint peeling off everywhere, and the wiring was of very poor quality. Plus it is overly complex with all of the safety switches and idiot lights.

Or just switch the dash and use all the 82 series sheetmetal too. If the plastic hoods and such are decent please don't discard them as I am looking for some at a fair price. Note, when you switch the dash be sure to use the 1862 keyswitch and wiring.

Latest posts

Back