1864 Hydro Release

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello everyone...Trying to find the BCI group for the battery to fit my 1864. I have the C.C. # 925-04514 but cant find the group size. Any help on this would be appreciated. TIA

Trent.. Thanks! It's been a lil rough but it's getting there. Finally got a battery and now i find out the starter isn't the best. Took it completely apart and cleaned it, put it back on and still wouldn't work. Replaced the solenoid and now it starts intermittently. Guess i'm gonna have to get a new one. Was hoping to be cutting with it this weekend but doesn't look like that's gonna happen. Gotta replace the mule drive pulley on the 122 so I can cut with it. Hopefully I can get some more and better pics this weekend.
err.gif

Hey all..A little update on the 1864. Fired up the engine and DROVE it out of the shop! Hydro forward and reverse works very well. The power steering is great, a feature new to me
clappy.gif
. Hydraulic lift goes up and down. Drove it around for about 10 mins and let it run about 3/4 throttle for about 45 mins. Found out the "low fuel" light works, a good thing. Shut engine down and found no leaks! So far things are going good. Hoping we don't get the rain tomorrow so I can get the 54" deck hung under it. Hoping to post a couple pics soon.

Driving a tractor with a hydrostatic transmission sure beats pushing it, doesn't it, Ron? Can't wait to see more pictures. I would love to try power steering, too.

Dang Ron! Your really scootin with that 1864! Youknow you would be welcome to come up and help with mine! We have a 2284 that is currently in the shop. Just got a week ago. If you have a min this weekend I'll get in touch in regards to the stack valve install

Jeremiah...Driving sure beats pushing!! I remember when p/s first came out on garden tractors and thought "why do you need p/s on a riding mower?". After driving one that thought disappeared real quick. I'm gonna try to post a couple pics this morning since it's raining here.

Trent...It would be nice to come out there and help you with the 2284. I'm sure we could get it going! This weekend will be fine to call me anytime. As far as "scootin" along...I started this project last summer, so I figure it's time to get this thing done. Of course I don't think you ever "finish" them cuz there is always something else to add or change. That's the fun part about Cub Cadets
greenthumb.gif

Jeremiah..Thanks! I still have a lot of work to do. Some of it will hopefully get done thru the winter,like decals for one. My concern for now is getting it together so I can mow with it. It'll be a big jump to go to this from a 122 with a 38" deck.

This is the "donor" tractor that I got 1st. I used the engine and steering column and a few other misc parts here and there.

287173.jpg

Trent.. Thanks! Found out today the deck undercarriage is bent, so I gotta get it straightened out to be able to hang the deck. I think my starter gave up completely today so i'll check it out tomorrow if I get time. Busy day tomorrow..move things around the yard..cut 2 yards and whatever else may fall in between.

Hey all...Haven't had a chance to work on the 1864. Still trying to figure out if I have a bad starter. I have a brand new 465cca battery and all I get is a faint "click". I have found that it has a voltage sensor part#725-3251. So far I haven't found a way to test it or what it actually does. Any info on the sensor would be greatly appreciated. I'm not a "parts replacer" and I like to know what's bad before I spend unnecessary $$$, but I guess we're all that way.
TIA

Ron. Good to talk on the phone (was it yesterday?). I know you said the brushes seemed to be fresh on the starter and that you had cleaned everything up. We talked about a possible "bad spot" on the armature which would cause the starter to fail, and will cause some people to beat on their starters with broom handles and whatever else is handy, . . . but if the armature is out-of-round the only cure is to put it in a lathe and turn it down until you have it perfectly round and concentric on the shaft. You probably know this already, but I bring it up for sake of completeness.

I'm not sure where the voltage detector fits in, but generally speaking, if one is interested in learning if a certain voltage is present there are many ways of doing so. The simplest is to tap into a resistor to get a reference at a particular voltage above ground. Another means is to employ a zener diode set for a particular voltage level; if the zener is conducting, then the required/desired voltage is present. (Note: the zener diode is reverse biased in this application.) I believe there are other, more complicated, circuits employing semiconductors like diodes and transistors, triacs, SCRs, etc. to set, detect, and regulate various voltage conditions; but my bet is that a zener diode is involved in your case.

It should be easy to test; put the desired/required voltage to it and see if it "detects" it in some way. You can also probe it with an ohm meter or, better, a digital multimeter with a diode testing function.

Just some thoughts to feed the grist mill of your mind.
smile.gif

Jeremiah...It was good talking to you.(actually it was Sunday)Time flies when you're having fun. Your post about diodes and resistors is a lil above my head, but that's ok. We all have to start somewhere. As far as getting the armature turned there is no one around close to me that does that. I do have a Kohler service manual explaining how to test it. I'm just not satisfied yet that the starter is bad. That's just my nature. Might try to work on it today even tho it's gonna be in the 90's and very humid.
bash.gif

Latest posts

Back