169 OWNERS COLLECT HERE

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd scrap'em too! Sorry, but imports use amber in the rear and a 169 is no import!

John B - need a little better pic, or even a couple, to see those Amber lenses better.

Thurman S the similar muffler is for a Gravely.
Check NAPA part #703679. No idea how much adapting
you would have to do.

Wow sorry Thurman, I missed your question,

That is interesting in what Kendall mentioned.
I know Charlie at CCSpecilties was looking into getting some made, check with him also. Some of the other sponsers at the top might be able to help also.

I hope your backfire problem was a one time incident.

JOHN B. - I'll be the one to disagree with all the others. I'd keep the amber lenses. It's not like a CC is "Street Legal" despite anything you'd do to it, really doubt anyone, namely a LEO would ticket you for amber tail lights.

I have both red & amber rear lights on the back of my 72, plus switched white work lights on it & the 982... plus the switched white work lights & red tail lights on both the Farmall's. IMO, the amber lights might give off enough more light that you wouldn't need to add work lights if you run much at night. Plus the amber blends in better with the yellow & white.

I only snapped one other pic, here it is.
260268.jpg

JOHN - TOTALLY off-topic, but, do you have any relation down around Atkinson/Geneseo area?

John B - thanks for posting the other pic. I think the right one actually looks pretty decent. The left one still has to much reflection. Maybe it's just the amber lens itself causing the reflective look. Hoping there are some others on here that have tried/added the amber lenses, and they can post a pic or 2.

Thanks Kendall H. and Jeff B. for the muffler information. I will look at Napa and CC Specialties and see what they have. I don't think the backfire was anything serious. The motor ran fine after the initial start up.

Thurman - did you attempt to re-assemble your old muffler and try to crimp it together? Or is it to far gone to salvage? As far as new ones, I think CC Specialties has the 10-14hp quiet version, which is similar to the 16hp version but I believe a little smaller and I believe has a smaller inlet with a 45 degree angle vs the 90degree (straight) inlet on the original. I also believe the inlet diameter is about a 1/4" smaller but not sure. So it would take some adapting. please let us know what you figure out.

Also, backfire on a 16hp is not good in my view. I don't recall how long you've had this unit now but it could have been carbon build up in the muffler itself that tends to ignite, but that backfire is usually right after shutting off a hot engine. If your backfire occured at start-up then it could be carbon build up on the head and top of the piston - you have to remove and decarbon the head/piston which Kohler recommends every 500 hours anyway. It could also be a carb adjustment, or the timing. If it does it again I'd be concerned and investigate the issue.

Charlie posted at one time that he'd contacted a couple muffler makers that wanted an order for more than the entire production of the Cub Cadet 169. Someone (I forget who, right now) has adapted a 149 type muffler to the K341. The original style muffler may be the biggest headache a 169 owner will find. I looked at the NAPA #703679 on line and it looks kinda short and stubby. Should we start a new thread for 169 mufflers? I DIDN'T SAY THAT!
bottom.gif
happy.gif

3 of the 5 I've contacted and sent 169 mufflers to say no way unless I order 2,000 at a time. Still waiting on the last 2 to reply.

John B.,

Those lights are trailer running lights. Those lights are on each side of my boat trailer about 2/3 the way to the front. My trailer is a factory trailer (not homemade).
You can put whatever you want on your cub, because it's your's.
I'm sure the sponsors above can get you any kind of cub light you may need.

Marty, These Amber lens are for the same base as the red ones. I didn't change the factory light, as when Terry picked it up for me it had partial red lenses on it, but broken. These amber lens snapped right on the std light assembly. So I'm leaning towards red lenses, but then I'll have these laying around. lol

Charlie - do you know if the diamater of the inlet on the muffler is the same size as the diamater of the inlet on the 10/12/14 hp muffler? I was thinking it is slightly (maybe 1/4") larger for the 16hp. If it's the same then you could probably get a 45degreee adapter to use the 16hp muffler on the 10/12/14hp engines, since the original 16hp muffler has a straight pipe inlet. Heck, even if the diamater is different you could probably get the same muffler company to make the adapters, and then it may be worthwhile to go ahead and order 2000.

Harry I didn't try putting my muffler back together, but if I can't find a replacement muffler I will try. I have had this CC 169 for several years now. A little while after buying it I had local shop completely rebuild the motor and it probably has less than a 100 hours on the motor since the rebuild. It only backfired the one time on start up. I will check the things you suggested as soon as I have time. thanks for the information.

Thurman - say, when they did your rebuild on 169 "No. 1" did they remove or leave the balance gears in the engine?

Charlie - on the muffler info, I was referring to the "Noise Suppression" version for the 10/12/14hp engines, which has the 45 degree curved inlet. (To use the noise suppression muffler you remove the curved exhaust pipe on the Kohler engines and install a straight nipple to use the noise suppression muffler - but you know that - but others reading this don't.)

Latest posts

Back