• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

1572 Refurbishing

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kschanze

displayname
kurt schanze
I am going threw a cub 1572, I know a little newer then most would like on here, But I Love this little tractor.

My first issue to deal with is the hydro is strong, but only goes about half way forward then stops linkage wise, about half speed. I removed the seat and fender and the linkage seems ok but the previous owner had a hose clamp around the spring and the plate connected to the hydro. Is it a linkage problem or something in the hydro itself?

Kurt,
Welcome aboard. 1572's are nice tractors. Got one myself. Sounds more like a trunion problem. The trunion wears after years of use and leads to a jerky, pesky hydro control. You could weld it up or cut out the worn area and weld in a new one. Pics would be helpful to really see whats going on. But the clamp is kind of a tell tale sign. Might need the hydro adjusted, too.

this is the linkage, the hose clamp was around the spring and the plate that is attached to the hydro. I tried to move the plate on the hydro but it seems to be as far as it will go.

Is the turion the little tab in the picture? I see it is almost worn threw, I wonder if it being worn out someone tried to center the hydro, therefore losing the top end?

295605.jpg

this picture is of the hydro in full speed forward

The trunion part that wears is where the spring rides/is. You want the slot to be nice and square on each end (where the washers are at each end of the spring on the horizontal piece). Hope that makes sense. I have a heck of a time posting pics here. Usually those notch or wallow out causing a sloppy/jerky response with the hydro. Hard to tell from the pic, but yours doesn't look bad. As far as adjusting the hydro, it runs through the procedure in the manual and IIRC, it might be in the FAQ's up above.
Check out these links from the FAQ's above:
http://cubfaq.com/hydrolurch.html

https://www.ihcubcadet.com/IHCCFAQ/HydroProblems.htm

Neutral return yoke on the clutch pedal may be over adjusted. Below the trunion there is a plate with a "Y" shaped slot attached to a rod that connects to the clutch pedal shaft. When the clutch is pressed down the rod drags the hydro linkage from the upper "wings" of the "Y" down into the bottom "post".

If the rod is buried all the way down in the bottom of the "Y" post the linkage will have limited top speed. The turnbuckle on the connecting rod should only be adjusted far enough into the "Y" post to center the hydro and stop the tractor....over adjusting will bind the linkage.

I'll look for a pic

Good & helpful post, Steve.

Kurt, if you play around with the adjustment Steve has colorfully depicted, the action will become clear to you.

Good luck.
smile.gif

Steve,
Thanks for putting up the pics for Kurt. We need to put your pics/explanation in the FAQ's!
beerchug.gif

Back