• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

147 no go winter

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ken Black

will few weeks ago. the 147 moved fine. lil warm up of the trans fluid. then she was fine..
TODAY..... the old girl said NOPE iam going NOWHERE....

iam guessing trans fluid can frezze or turn to syrup and the pump cant pump it...

if there something can be done in spring time sides fluid change for cold weather ???
it sounds like its pumping air so iam guessing filter froze up or something no clue.

it is ZERO F out.

will few weeks ago. the 147 moved fine. lil warm up of the trans fluid. then she was fine..
TODAY..... the old girl said NOPE iam going NOWHERE....

iam guessing trans fluid can frezze or turn to syrup and the pump cant pump it...

if there something can be done in spring time sides fluid change for cold weather ???
it sounds like its pumping air so iam guessing filter froze up or something no clue.

it is ZERO F out.
Put a heater under it for a while or go to town and buy a magnetic heater and stick it on the bottom of the rear end.

Put a heater under it for a while or go to town and buy a magnetic heater and stick it on the bottom of the rear end.
i was goin to grab plumber torch. the blue bottle and heat the trans case up.. hahahha
ok. so your on the same lines iam thinking then. its just that dang cold.

sort of sucks. i had to use my simplicity tractor blower. that in itself grrrrr i need to put steering stops in. dang front wheels go sideways hahhahah she has the same style pump but no filter no resv its always full. no drain down.

Last edited:
i was goin to grab plumber torch. the blue bottle and heat the trans case up.. hahahha
ok. so your on the same lines iam thinking then. its just that dang cold.
If your sure it's FULL and nothing else is wrong, Hy-tran will not freeze. It does get a little stiff, but not enough to not let it move. You might have other issues. Will it try to move? If it will, then you have something else going on. One way if it acts like it wants to go but won't is to jack the rear end up. Block the front tires and start it, move the handle as far as it will go forward and see if it cuts loose for ya.

If your sure it's FULL and nothing else is wrong, Hy-tran will not freeze. It does get a little stiff, but not enough to not let it move. You might have other issues. Will it try to move? If it will, then you have something else going on. One way if it acts like it wants to go but won't is to jack the rear end up. Block the front tires and start it, move the handle as far as it will go forward and see if it cuts loose for ya.

no movement at all.... it did work fine last snow. but it was 20 degrees warmer. so i dont think will i hope nothing major. i did lift one side by hand rocked it side to side while in forward and it hit for a split sec then back to air. fluid level truth no idea. i may try it when lil warmer. its starting to push below zero. windy and its outside covered . spring time do full maint on it. fluid n filter change. i will admit i was stupid and didnt check or change trans fluid. i said 20 times to myself all summer. gotta change it check it so on.. will i paid for it now hahhaha

lesson for all.. DO THE MAINT in WARM WEATHER hahhahahahha .... or heated garage lol ..

I would not run the engine any more, Water in the bottom of the tranny may be frozen and you are running the pump dry.
I used a heated dipstick on mine, much quickerer.

There's an outside chance ( pun not intended) that you broke a connection in the driveshaft.. remove the cover so you can see the connection at the hydro inlet shaft, verify that it turns the same as the driveshaft turns. I'm thinking it may have happened since it grabbed once then stopped again..

There's an outside chance ( pun not intended) that you broke a connection in the driveshaft.. remove the cover so you can see the connection at the hydro inlet shaft, verify that it turns the same as the driveshaft turns. I'm thinking it may have happened since it grabbed once then stopped again..
its all there.. rag joint is fine. i can hear it pumping air. when i put my ear down near the releaf valves.
iam goin with low fluid and or trash old might have water in it making it thicken up.

when it warms up ill see.. its a pita to get the trans cover rite now with the way i put weight on back for snow blowing.

When I first got my 782 from the previous owner, it ran fine all summer as I tried to straighten out it's electrical issues. Then a few cold days in the winter and no movement. Let it run, as I scratched my head. Finally movement. So if there is moisture in the hytran fluid, it can cause an issue. The next above freezing day, I pulled the rear cover to find there was lots of condensation on the casing and gears. Wiped it all down. Hasn't been a problem in 8 years. The 782 doesn't get too many hours a year. Mostly 30 minute blasts early winter for plowing up to 8 inch snowfalls then my larger tractor continues the task through the winter

You can remove the 6 bolts in seat pan the and 2 on each side of the footsy rest to access plate on top of the tranny. Remove one bolt and stick a wooden dowel in the hole to check the fluid.

For Sale Pics 452.jpg

You can remove the 6 bolts in seat pan the and 2 on each side of the footsy rest to access plate on top of the tranny. Remove one bolt and stick a wooden dowel in the hole to check the fluid.

View attachment 147199

good idea. if it wasnt as much work as to get the weight box off back... it isnt to rough.. i may have over played it a bit.. ill have to figure something out when it warms up a lil.. even if just to check if moves then ill go from there..

You could always spin off the oil filter, drain it into a glass jar and let it settle... then you'll see what's in the gearbox.

You could always spin off the oil filter, drain it into a glass jar and let it settle... then you'll see what's in the gearbox.
that is a good idea.. lets see minus 10 rite now. no cover to work on the old girl..my covered work space is taken up by the 149 resurrection . ill wait lil bit for warmth lol
cabin fever is kicking in... hahahha

Last edited:
Like Lewis said ,don't run it anymore.When the problem first came up,and you exhausted your investigations. You did well by going and asking for advice from the wealth of knowledge and experience on this site.When someone has a problem,we all learn a bit more.Good luck,just my .02 cents.
no doubt.
but one thing wrong with your post.

it isnt 2 cents no more its now 6 cents with the way prices of everything gone up lol .. hahhaha
yeah sometimes i do ok lol ..

just in case....
am not going to do anything till spring thow. i figure and we all done it once .... short cuts dont help in long run.
yeah add fluid and get her movin again. but why risk any other damage. so on ...

so till spring thow. only 65ish days away and christmas is 353 days away get your shopping done now...

Back