• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

1200 clutch shaft issues

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Donhall

I started this on Facebook last night, figured this is a better platform for technical issues. Tractor is a 1978, model 1200 that my grandson bought a while ago. Clutch started acting up then stopped engaging altogether. We removed the clutch shaft and found numerous issues. The shaft was badly damaged and I think was assembled wrong previously. Order a new shaft using the IH part number from the CC assembly drawing.
New shaft is very different from the shaft that was removed. I will try to upload a picture. How do I get the correct shaft identified?
Newbee here so kind….
IMG_5499.jpeg
IMG_5497.jpeg

Bought off eBay. The new shaft has no score marks on it. Maybe you see the mark I put on when I was measuring where the other hole is on the old shaft. Also the hole on the rear end is not in the same location

I started this on Facebook last night, figured this is a better platform for technical issues. Tractor is a 1978, model 1200 that my grandson bought a while ago. Clutch started acting up then stopped engaging altogether. We removed the clutch shaft and found numerous issues. The shaft was badly damaged and I think was assembled wrong previously. Order a new shaft using the IH part number from the CC assembly drawing.
New shaft is very different from the shaft that was removed. I will try to upload a picture. How do I get the correct shaft identified?
Newbee here so kind….View attachment 154490View attachment 154491
The shaft on the right is the correct one, 1200 shafts have 5 pin holes.
1687958311246.png

Without knowing the spec's on an original shaft, at this point, it's anyone's guess asto whether it is the correct dimensions or not.
The pic 1811 posted appears to not have enough holes in it.
That is the correct part number however, same shaft as used in the 1000, 1200 and 800.
Very limited usage.
If you cannot return it, install it and see what happens.
Was this supposedly an NOS piece from a seller on the Bay?

Without knowing the spec's on an original shaft, at this point, it's anyone's guess asto whether it is the correct dimensions or not.
The pic 1811 posted appears to not have enough holes in it.
That is the correct part number however, same shaft as used in the 1000, 1200 and 800.
Very limited usage.
If you cannot return it, install it and see what happens.
Was this supposedly an NOS piece from a seller on the Bay?
Not NOS by any means. 👍

Great information guys. My two issues are. 1. In the used shaft there are 2 holes for the spring retaining pin. When we removed the shaft the pin was in the closest to the rear. New hole or push the spring in more? I really don’t think the spring will compress that far but willing to try.
2. The hole at the rear end is not in same place. Some have said the shaft also has to be indented for the ball to rest in. Neither shafts have indented end. Wrong shaft on both counts?

Forgot the pictures
What is the length of the new one? Are you using the spacer that the parts lookup shows incorrectly behind the spring, it is suppose to be behind the bearing, that is why the other one has 6 holes so you can use both types of bearings.. The older clutch shafts do not have that. That is why there are 5 holes in the other one and you would use the bearing without the spacer.
Looks almost like a 108 clutch shaft it is 19 1/4" long.

This may help some.
What is the ser# of this 1200??

• Ref:
    703-0600
    Bushing, Lubricating | (Serial No. 612808 & above)

• Ref:
    IH-126205-C2
    BUSHING | (Serial No. 612808 & above)
    This part replaces IH-126205-C1.

Thanks for your help. I was able to talk to CCC parts and he knew exactly what my problem is. He agreed that the new shaft is for a 108 also. So I ordered the new shaft and returned the old one. Great resources on this page

Thanks everyone!!

Latest posts

Back