• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

1000 series

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpdostie

displayname
Jerry Dostie
Does any one have any experience with the 1000 series? I know it's CC's base line and doesn't have shaft drive, but they seem to be priced pretty reasonable and seem to be fairly rugged. I was looking at the 1046 which is a 23hp twin Kohler with hydro and 46" deck. I'm not planning to do a lot of things with it other than mow the lawn and maybe put a snow blower on the front for my small driveway. Let me know what you think

I'm thinking that it's about $1500.00 down the drain for a "rubber band" drive. Its basically a rebadged MTD "throw-away" Lawn Tractor in the CC line to compete with the "box" stores. If you ever buy one, you won't do it twice...IMHO..(I've owned an MTD rubberband drive in my past & will never ever do that again).
Myron B

Can't speak for the 1000 series but I bought one of the new GT1554 tractors the Cub Cadet cameout with this past year and am "pickled tink" with it. It has a 54" deck and a 27hp Kohler engine and it is a hoss. The only complaint I could make, if any, is that the steering is a little heavy with the 27hp engine but then if you went to power steering you would be getting into the price range of the 2500 series. The hydro pedal is a little uncomfortable to me but then that could be my body build and not the fault of the machine.

I plan on getting a mechanical tiller and 10" sleeve hitch plow for it to do some gardening with. As well as dozer blade. It is a well, heavy built machine and I'm not disappointed with in the least.

It just depends on your budget and what you plan to do with it. I just couldn't afford $4000 to $6000 bucks for a lawn mower and basic gardening machine but then it's all in how much you can afford to spend and what you plan to do with it. Keep in mind that if all your doing is mowing your yard and doing some small gardening chores, the so called "rubber band drive" will accomplish the job extremely well, will last many years if properly maintained and you can buy two of them for the price you'll give for one of the higher, fancier machines. I recently sold a 10hp craftsman at a sale that I had bought 20 years ago and used for everything from cultipacking to hauling firewood and it performed extremely well.

It's your money and your decision, though, and no one but you knows how much you can afford. If your satisfied that's all that matters.
f16.gif

Kenneth,
I just checked the MTD Cub Cadet website and see that Cub now does offer a 1500 series GT, but I would still be worried about useing it for molsboard plowing if it does not have a cast iron rear end.

As the 2500 series is a cut above the 2000 series for several reasons, the 1500 series are a big cut above the 1000 series. MTD's low end line (including the 1000 series Cub Cadets) are economic, big box store, consumer grade products intended to be used for a few years and "thrown-away" and then you buy a new one. They stay in business that way. I'm not MTD bashing because MTD does make some very good stuff expecially the 2000 series Cub Cadets and higher series. The 1500 series is a "tweener". Better than entry level 1000 series without costing as much as a 2000 or higher numbered series.
Myron B

I purchased a 2186 two years ago along with a hydraulic driven tiller with plans on useing it for gardening.
I was informed by my cub cadet dealer afterwards that I would not be able to use it for plowing my garden as the alumin rearend would not hold up to the abuse, and that was the reason why there was no sleeve hitch attachments advailable for the 2000 series other than the tiller, snow plow, and snow thrower.
I there for traded the 2186 in for a 3235 with the castiron rearend and hydraulic cat.0 3point.
I can now safely plow my garden, till it, and cultivate it without fear of breaking the rearend.
Just my view on the smaller series MTD built Cub Cadets.

Lonny;

I have corresponded with the CC folks several times before purchasing the GT1554 and they offer a sleeve hitch for it and recommend it for plowing as well as several other chores including blading and tilling. They also offer a hydraulic tiller, Item No. 190-825 for the GT1554. It has a heavier rearend than the smaller 1000 series and is backed by the CCC company for the task mentioned above.

I purchased a Craftsman 10 hp lawnmower back about 20 years ago. It was small and had a 38" deck on it, designed only for mowing. Over the coarse of time I began using it for chores around the farm. It had a peerless transaxle not designed for gardening but I put bar tires and wheel weights on it and used it for hauling firewood and fencing pulling a 4 X 6 trailer that was loaded to the top a lot of times. Granted, I did have to get a running shot at some larger hills sometimes but it worked and it had the "rubber band" drive as all of them do. It came with a Tecumseh engine which I wasn't crazy about but it lasted for about 10 years under my abuse and I replaced it with a BS 12hp engine and kept on trucking. I also pulled a 6' heavy duty culitpacker with it when sowing my yard and parts of my 8 acre pasture.

About two years before I sold it, I purchased a Swishwer 60" pull behind mower as the deck on the Craftsman had finally bit the dust. I mowed my yard, about 3½ hilly TN acres with it without a hitch. I finally got tired of having to keep two riding mowers and the pull behind mower maintained so I sold them all in a sale and bought the GT1554 with a 54" deck.

I said all of this to say that the GT1554 is 10 times the machine the little Craftsman was so if it could do what I did with it under extreme abuse, the GT1554 should do what the Cub Cadet folks have told me it will do.

I did a lot of research for about a year into the different brands of garden tractors from the John Deeres to Craftsman and for my available cash, I feel the GT1554 will handle anything I have to do with it. No, it isn't the machine the 3200 series is, but then it didn't cost what one of those would, either. Yes, I would rather have hydraulics and cast iron heavy duty axles but then if I were going to put that much money into a small garden tractor, I would go another step and purchase the 5200 series and then you would have a true tractor with cat. 1 3 pt. hitch and everything but still in a small enough size to handle your yard mowing chores as well as gardening and most anything else you needed to do plus you would have the option of more accessories such as a front end loader.

Kenneth.
If the guys at MTD/CCC say it will stand up to the abuse than it should.
I was not aware that MTD/CCC a GT1500 series until I looked it up.
I do agree with you about the cost, the higher the series the more cash you have to fork out.
I think I have about 8grand into my 3235 with all the attachments I got along with it, the only thing I did not get was the mower deck.
I did see where Kwik-Way( I think thats the name) makes a hydraulic loader that will fit the 3235 but it is a bit spendy and out of my price range for now.
Today I got my tractor ready for snow duty.
32289.jpg

weather guessers are saying 3 to 6 inches over the next 48 hours.

(Message edited by lbuttke on November 14, 2005)

Lonny;

That is nice looking machine you've got there and I'm sure well worth the price. We don't have that kind of snow around here anymore. As a matter of fact, we hardly ever have any snow anymore except just a good dusting. We'll have ice storms but very little snow. Personally I would rather have snow.

I've got about $3,000 in my GT1554 with the tool carrier and manual sleeve hitch. I haven't purchased any other items as of yet since we're planning on selling our little farm and moving to a 1 acre lot and building a new house this next spring. Don't know for sure what I'll need so I'm waiting until we get replanted before buying any attachements. I'll be getting a fertilizer spreader and either a sweeper or trailer vacuum for sure. Probably a Brinly Hardy Moldboard, disc and cultivator but not sure as I sure would like to have the tiller but there's a big difference in price between the tiller and the other items. I'm not going to have a large garden. Just something to tinker with after I retire. I'm making my yard and garden my farm after retirement.

It has a 54" mowing deck on it but nothing else. The only thing so far that I don't like about it is the headlights. They're pretty inefficient in my book. And I don't like the fact that they don't have switch on them. Stay on all the time. I could remedy that and probably will in the future. It's not a big deal as I don't do anything much after dark but I just like the idea of having them just in case but they burn those little 1156 bulbs out faster than you can install them. And the aluminum foil reflectors are kind of cheap for the quality of the rest of the machine in my book. Plus there is a short or bad ground in the lighting system and even the bulbs aren't burned out, they go off and on with the jaring of the tractor. I've talked to my dealer about it but didn't get much help. My dealer isn't a lot of help on any thing. He mostly wants to sell you one of the higher priced models at the top of the line and especially the 5000 and up series and doesn't want to talk to you much about the garden tractor/mower lines, even the 2500 series.

I think CCC could have done a better job on the headlights and it's totally ridiculous to have headlights stay on all the time on a lawn mower to me. I mean I hardly ever meet anyone else coming down my yard you know (ha!).

Good to correspond with you. Hope you don't get snowed in but then with that 3235 and the blower, it won't take you long to get out.

Later!

I have an 1170 "rubber band" drive. My son forgot to close the oil fill cap when he checked the oil and yes, the engine compartment was well oiled and smoking by the time he shut it off. I cleaned the comparment and the engine and it ran for a week or two. Now it won't start. Seems to get electric. There's a hesitation, then nothing. Could the starting mechanism be fouled from the oil? I don't think there is engine damage.

Ray, it could very well be that the starter is "gunked" up and sticking. My AC620 does the same thing as do many of the 782s. Clean it up and see.

I have a CC LT 1018. It is belt drive, but does what it is designed to do and does it well. It runs quiet and smooth thanks to the B&S 18hp single cylinder engine and the single foot pedal hydro transmission control. I own an IH 100, a 126, a 169, and a 582. All except the 100 operate and work great. The LT 1018 probably wont' last a third as long as the others, but they are garden tractors and are built much heavier. The LT is a lawn tractor. It mows and manuvers so deftly it could lull you to sleep. To me it is the best product for the money for mowing and maintaining a lawn. As a matter of fact, a co-worker's daughter is in supply for one of the big chain building supply/h'ware concerns and told me they experience far more returns with the green and yellow machines than with the CC's. Also, to get exactly the same set up in the other line, it cost $hundreds more. I can honestly say, I would buy another LT, without hesitation. I hope this answers your concers about the new LT's? I will be glad to answer any other questions you might have.

John-David

Ok guys got sent to the right place to ask this question: Anybody got the "Tank" series zero turn mower? Kohler 28hp can't afford the Cat! Really looking at one hard!! 60 or 72 inch doesn't matter.

Pops

I'm new to lawn tractors, and need some help. With 1.5 acres to mow i'm looking at a Cub Cadet 1340 with a 10hp Kohler motor. The meter has 682 hours on it. New 42" DECK.
Is this a good starter mower?

Thanks, Pete

I think that they are good tractors, depends what the condition is, how much they want, etc. A new deck is a nice feature. If the engine ever goes, you can get a new motor cheap through small engine warehouse, less than 500 bucks. That said, that tractor can run another 30 years.

Back