• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Zero turn ? what should I buy ?

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It will go back. My grandparents were from Nova Scotia, my mother was born there and is a naturalized citizen (born in 1922 - and still here, bless her). Don's too smart to keep that. Or I'm wrong -- again!
happy.gif

Or maybe I should take advantage of my Canadian heritage and move over there where all the money is?
1a_scratchhead.gif

Jeremiah Chamberlin

You won`t find this machine at Home Depot , or at least not over here. They only sell the home owner models. Toro sell 4 different styles and this mower is the top of the line commercial mower. This has there biggest pumps and drive gear ( so the dealer told me ) 10 gauge welded deck not stamped . I did like some of the features that the guys posted that are available in The U.S. but I needed to look at the mower and not just agree to buy and pay for it and have it delivered. I will post some pictures of the dual pups . the fans that are belt driven to cool the two hydro pumps. It is not a plastic piece of crap , but only time will tell. The Titan MX 4880 I hope will do the job I need for some time . It had better last me out lol.

Don-

I'm sure you'll be very happy mowing the grass even when it doesn't really need it...at least for a time. The way you know how to maintain machinery should be enough to make it outlast you. You should have more cub time with the speed of the job increased. It's a shame you can't record that new machine smell too.

Now lets have the pics!

Frank A. Currier(Northern Maine)

(Don's too smart to keep that. Or I'm wrong -- again!
Or maybe I should take advantage of my Canadian heritage and move over there where all the money is? )

I have been asked by the guy that has the 1862 that I have been doing his oil changes and other work on his tractor to look after mowing his property . He had got quotes of over $100.00 a mow per time. He wants it mowed 3 times a weak . So I have been asked to look after the mowing at his place (2 1/3 acres).Do the math Frank (this boy ain`t stupid lol) , I don`t know how the Toro will last over time ,but he is paying for it. This mower has a 3 year 400 hr warranty that I hope I will not need to test. HG-ZT 3100 transmissions commercial grade . The blades turn 1800 ft/min and when I used it yesterday I see that what came out the chute was real small clippings .I`am going out this am to mow a section of 3 acres and will let you know how I do. I plan to test the mow quality at 7.5 mph.
1a_scratchhead.gif

Yeah, I'd be real interested in how that mower rides @ 7-1/2 MPH too. My old @72 fell clear to the bottom of every little hole & low spot in my yards when I had the 6-12 GY turfs on the back, the 23-8.50 Firestones smoothed the ride out quite a bit. But nothing rides as nice as my 982 SGT with BIG tires aired down to 3-4 PSI running around 3 MPH. It's about like sitting in my Lazyboy while mowing... complete with cold adust beverage in hand!
beerchug.gif

Mowed the back 40 this afternoon with the 72... it's getting some deep holes where tree roots have rotted away under the ground. If it gets any rougher I'll have to put a seat belt on the thing!

Denny , Jeremiah Chamberlin

The rear tires are 22"x10" at 13 psi and the front are 12"x6" 32 psi in the front. I think the 32 psi in the front is over kill.I mowed a small field today just for fun. I can tell you it is a bear to drive and does bounce around. It is kind a hard to keep running straight . But after only 40 minutes on the hr meter I guess I hope to get better at it as I use it more.I should say that a few of my friends have put some time on it also . It was fun to watch them try there hand at mowing . It will mow fast than my tractor and seems to make a nice cut. Thursday I have 2.5 acres to cut and this will be on a hill . I will keep the seat belt fastened and the ROPS up .
Shift.gif

Don- Try 12 psi in the tires all the way around, that was SOP at Tom's. When we would do a service and sharpen, all tires would be set to 12, and it felt o.k. from the shop door across the parking lot to the front yard.

(results may vary)
err.gif

Don: When Lucy and I bush hogged in Van Buren we pretty much averaged 1.2 - 1.3 acres/hr. Are your acres roughly 44,000 sq. ft.?
1a_scratchhead.gif
happy.gif

DON - I think Charles is correct, about 12 PSI in the frt tires, and about 6-8 PSI in the rears. Tires are your first source of cushioning for improving the ride.

With my #72 I run about 10-12 in the frt tires, about 5 PSI in the rears, on the 982 I run about 10-12 in the frts & about 3-1/2, maybe 4 in the 4-ply rear tires. I'd run the frts lower but steering effort goes way up.

Frank A. Currier(Northern Maine)

LOL Frank our acres are the same a little over 200' x 200'

Thanks Guys I will drop the air pressure down to around 12 psi . I bet that will improve the ride a lot. I must say it does make a nice looking cut and seems to turn the clippings into dust . I do plan to add gator blades soon.

Jim Diederichs

I did give safety a hard thought and I can see where one could get into big trouble on hills going down and across. But I think I will order these brakes that now available for my Zturn.With these brakes and proper air pressure and I plan to add washer fluid to the back tires I think this will be safer to run on hills. Have a read I thing these disk brakes will work great.have a look http://www.tedbrakes.com/ and I see they will fit my Toro and other brands http://www.tedbrakes.com/get-ztr-mower-brakes.html

I plan to call and have a set delivered . I bet they cost $$$$$ but will be worth the added safety factor.
old.gif

Don-

That sounds like it could be a wise investment. I like the part when he says "I'm not going to get rich" and then says his part of each is $15. Let's see...$15 times a couple of million units. Especially if it takes off well. It does seem that the size of the fronts would be a downside and they would just turn into skids when the brake was applied. I have very little experience on Z turns so I wouldn't know.

I bet that Kubota he was sitting on goes for a pretty penny.

While I hope the brakes will work, I am doubtful of much gain due to the tire type you have (smoothies){See pics on earlier posts} If the clippings and possible moisture in the grass don't create a slippery condition with the smooth front tires you might see some improvement. Let us know how they work, but avoid any real bad spots until they are proven.

Jim Diederichs

Can you tell me if I could add windsheild washer fluid to the rear tires ? I Think that should add some traction going down hills.

Don,

Before you add fluid, you may be interested in an alternate tire style. Carlisle offers a better gripping lawn tire they call the HDAP tread. It looks impressive. J. deere uses it on the high-end product line tractors, as much for looks as for better traction.

The design is more aggressive and will provide better traction in any direction. I personally have watched them and they do help by a wide margin. Adding washer fluid to these will really benefit you more.

Just took the back tires off for washer fluid and thought I would post a picture of the hydro pump on the left rear. No cast iron here , I hope it last a long time . I don`t want to have to replace this mower for a long time .

board-post.pl

Back