• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Zero turn ? what should I buy ?

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I`am approved to go get a Z turn mower and I`am looking at the Toro zx 5020 or the MX4880 . One has a 23 Hp Kohler courage pro and the other has a 23 HP Kawasaki twin . I don`t know what would be the best engine , they both take and oil filter and have charge pumps and good drive gears. They arte the top of the line sold buy Toro Titan MX http://www.toro.com/en-ca/homeowner/mowers/zero-turn-mowers/pages/default.aspx

I would like to know witch is the better engine for me ? Over $6000.00

bobby l. bowman

I have looked and they can`t be bought here . most of the models you guys listed are only sold in the U.S and I can`t buy them.
thumbdown.gif

Just returned the guys 1862 yesterday (oil ,filter and sharpen blades,grease ) and well had a good look at what he wants mowed. seems there are a few places that his 1862 will slide down the hill it `s so steep . He runs 75 lb wheel weights on his 1862 and now I`am thinking a Z turn won`t be safe to run at all and his tractor can handle the hill much better.Got a call from him last night again ,he said his tractor started to loose power and sounds funny. He started it and I listened to it over the phone and well the first thing that came to mind was he blew the head gasket. I will have to pick it up today and replace that. I will need to get some info on whether I need to remove the Mag 18 to replace the gasket or if I can replace the head gasket in the tractor.
help.gif

Don T, both are good engines, the kawasakie in our scag has performed without any problems for close to 600 hours, our church also has a scag with the kawasakie and it has just over 1,000 on the clock with no engine problems.

Y'know, my grandpa has the cub cadet TANK model. He's ran it for quite awhile- not exactly sure how long -mowing the farm and hasn't had any problems. And it's built like a tank (no pun intended). Oh, IMHO: kan't go wrong with a Kohler.

Don- I maintain a fleet of zero turn mowers for my employer, and in my opinion either engine will be fine. We run our mowers for 4 or 5 years and they get around 1800 hours on them in that time. In my 10 years of working here, we've only had one engine go bad, and it was a Kawasaki with 1400 hours and the operator overheated it. I know of several of our old mowers that were traded in and bought by friends that are still running strong with 2500 hours on them, both Kohler and Kawasaki. Just like anything else, good maintenance will make them last forever. BTW, we run Gravely 260Z and 460Z mowers here.

Does anybody here have any experiences with an Ariens "Zoom" zero turn with a Kohler Courage V-Twin engine?

I have a friend looking to buy one for mowing a 2 acre (flat) lot. He asked me about it, but I know NOTHING about zero-turns.

Ariens Zoom 42

Nick Queensland

Thanks for the info, I see those can be bought just 3 hrs drive from me. The problem would be if I ever would need service work done. I hope I can find something to fill my needs soon. I`am looking at a range of $6000.00 machines and doing all the reading I can find . I will have to make up my mind soon. Thanks again to all who posted such great info and thoughts. Later Don T
old.gif

Home of the Plow Special

I looked at the add you posted and see they run a good size charge pump hydro. Things to think about are if the charge pumps have a fan to keep them cool . I see many brands that do not have a fan to cool the hydro. Any hills and the better HG-ZT 3100 hydro is better.Seems most run the Kohler or the Kawasaki engines and both appear to be good.I think most of the Z turn mowers are a lot the same as to what parts will fit that I don`t see a lot of differences in brands. The stronger the hydro and fanned is a must and after that I think they are mostly the same.
1a_scratchhead.gif

Based upon the steep hill conditions I really doubt that any ZTR mower will be satisfactory there. They do have more limitations on hills due to less traction; adding more agressive tires will increase the strain on the hydro units more yet.

If the wheels spin going uphill they will want to slide down as well.

Don-

Just take a full day and go around test driving. Consider the fuel it takes part of the overall cost of the machine. This is something you really want to be sure about. I have heard about Scagg for years being one of the toughest so I'm going with what Bobby says. I also know Kawasaki does make a good, long lasting engine.

Art-

How does Ariens use three of the same engines but states three different horsepowers...22, 23, and 24. Is it in carburetion?

Jim Diederichs

well the oner wanted it mowed accost the hill and I told him I would not be able to do that. so he came around and now said ok mow it any way you can. I thought I would add wind shield washer fluid to the tires to get more weight and and traction. I know 25 lbs per wheel on a cub makes a big difference with traction. Dealer says go ahead and add the fluid because it won`t hurt the drive .

I don't know about Canada but around here if your going to drop that kind of coin, they'll bring one out and let you try it. Pick your top 2 or 3 and tell them what your doing. If a dealer with a piece of junk won't even try. Weeds out the real competition

Jeremiah Chamberlin

That mower comes with a 48" ,50" 55", 60" deck. My chrapsmans had a 42" so I went with the 48" deck. I told them if it won`t mow what I need it for , it will find it`s way back .
old.gif

looks nice.. time to find some rattle-can yeller and white.

Don,

I looked seriously at a similar sized zero turn on closeout at Home Depot; I never sealed the deal though. Anything larger than a nominal 48" mower won't fit through my shed door!

I'm going to have to widen the door if I'm ever going to fit my 782 through it when I get the 50A deck fitted.
smile.gif

Back