• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Yellow Jackets and other Stinging Insects

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bnolte

displayname
Bruce Nolte
Here are a couple of anecdotes I can relate to y'all about my run-ins with yellow jackets. Yellow jackets will seek out any hollow area that will give them shelter, a piece of pipe behind a shed, a hollow tree, or a rotten stump will all be prime real estate for those little yellow and black terrorists of the insect world. As my garage had grown more crowded, and my old 102 has been demoted to parts tractor and lives outside now, it has also become a perennial encampment for yellow jackets as well.

Growing up, we had an in the ground pool with a retaining wall and steps to the pool area made with old railroad ties. Well, a few of those ties were rotten inside, and I had just removed the generator from the old 102 and set it on the railroad tie step to hose it off before doing some work on it. Just as I turned the hose on it, my brother warned me about the yellow jacket nest, and boy they were pissed!! I got stung about 5 or 6 times and jumped into the pool more or less fully clothed, and was afraid to get out of the water.

A less traumatic run-in I had with them happened the first year I lived at my new house. My garage was complete, except for the roll up door, and in the nice September weather I decided it might be a good place to make my homemade wine. I brought and processed the grapes and got the primary fermentation going. Normally you would loosely cover the fermentation containers, which were plastic storage containers with snap on lids, which I thought was a good solution. The activity was already attracting a steady stream of the unwanted visitors even before I even crushed the grapes. Once the must (the term for the crushed grapes) was put to bed and left to ferment, I hosed down the area as well as I could to minimize how loud the dinner bell would ring to the yellow jackets. I also had one of those high voltage fly swatters. It wasn't worth a darn to catch flies, the flies were just too fast, but I could kill those distracted yellow jackets with impunity by the dozens and watch their wings go up in smoke. Made for some fine entertainment!!

The next afternoon, I opened the tops of the containers and found at least a dozen yellow jackets floating on top of the must, having drowned or overcome with carbon dioxide and alcohol. I fished them out and decided to take some Saran Wrap and seal the edges of the lids. Next day, I discovered they chewed through that and and still managed to get in. I think I finally ended up using Duct Tape to keep them out.

The wine turned out OK but I did notice some beeish aftertaste.
beerchug.gif

Bruce - I think yellow jackets are one of the meanest members of the animal kingdom. I've heard they will even wait by the water until you surface. I'm not allergic but the itch for days following just drives me crazy. I don't think it's fair that yellow jacket nests are almost always discovered after it's too late. I mean you can see a hornets nest or a wasp nest. I was very lucky this last time only getting nailed once. After a few minutes I went back to locate and pinpoint the main entrance hole and they were everywhere. I even waited an extra 24 hours to give them time to get the whole family back together before I "gassed" them. It's just that time of the year for yellow jackets so be careful but kill as many as you can. If you had some way to shoot a burst of gas mist you could bait them with grapes then instantly kill hundreds at a time. Heck, that even sounds like fun. I don't know what it is but if gas touches them they're dead. I don't agree with needless killing but there's a certain enjoyment with yellow jackets and roaches.

I bet that "beeish aftertaste" went away after the third or fourth glass.

So Bruce, Was it worth the buzzzzzzz, sorry it's late.

I got this sent to me via Email.

BEE STINGS

This information may be something to remember, as this season will soon be here again...

It might be wise to carry a penny in your pocket while working in the yard.....BEE STINGS

A couple of weeks ago, I was stung by both a bee and hornet while working in the garden. My arm swelled up, so I went to the doctor. The clinic gave me cream and an antihistamine. The next day the swelling was getting progressively worse, so I went to my regular doctor. The arm was Infected and needed an antibiotic. The doctor told me - " The next time you get stung, put a penny on the bite for 15 minutes".

That night, my niece was stung by two bees. I looked at the bite and it had already started to swell. So, I taped a penny to her arm for 15 minutes. The next morning, there was no sign of a bite. We decided that she just wasn't allergic to the sting.

Soon, I was gardening outside. I got stung again, twice by a hornet on my left hand. I thought, here I go again to the doctor for another antibiotic. I promptly got my money out and taped two pennies to my bites, then sat and sulked for 15 minutes. The penny took the string out of the bite immediately.

In the meantime the hornets were attacking, and my friend was stung on the thumb. Again the penny. The next morning I could only see the spot where the hornet had stung me. No redness, no swelling. My friend's sting was the same; couldn't even tell where she had been stung. She got stung again a few days later upon her back---cutting the grass! And the penny worked once again..

Wanted to share this marvelous information in case you experience the same problem. We need to keep a stock of pennies on hand.

The doctor said that the copper in the penny counteracts the bite.

It definitely works!

Well well, you mean a penny has regained some value? I have a big jug full of bee sting remedy.

Thanks Vincent, I don't get stund as often as you but I will sure keep this in mind.

Wayne

Hmm, you telling me some emails do not tell the truth... Here I thought the penny was valuable again...

Well that heads up penny I picked up the other day still brought me luck. My son was named a Captain of his football team, then later that same day Dick Ritger(an international Bowling Coach) gave my kids a bowling lesson. Dick told me to video tape Andrew's bowling and send it out to colleges for he has an excellent form. It was a wonderful way to end our day!

I'm glad we have snopes to help keep us in line. I wish it was available for my grandmother who dipped snuff. I spent a lot of time with her in the summers as a boy down in the southern part of NC. Apparently there were a lot of bees and she believed in tobacco spit as a cure.
The value of my jug of pennies just went down again too.

Ooook...some little yellowjacket got into my cellar last nite some how, and managed to sting my finger. I tried old remedy...ammonia, didnt help much. My wife had some insect sting gel, that didnt help too much either. Figured, lets try the penny trick. Taped a penny on the sting for an hour...the result...zilch, nada... no help either. All I got was an image of Lincoln on my swolen finger! Oh well. This morning its still swolen but not sore. <font size="-2">(Wait till I find that little critter!)</font>

Allen - When I was in college I remember asking my chemistry prof about stings and was told the baking soda remedy made the most sense. The injected chemical is an acid, I can't remember the name, and the baking soda acts to neutralize. It makes sense to me but I don't get stung very often so I can't attest.

When I was into beekeeping we found the first natural thing to do is rub it.WRONG!! Don't know if yellow jackets are the same, but on end of the stinger is a small white sac. Don't rub and using a pocket knife scrape the area to remove the sac that contains the "chemical". Then wash with lots of soap. We taught this to all the students at the county beekeeping course. Works to!!

Right as I got stung the first thing I did was to look for a stinger, I was near a bright light and got a good view...but saw nothing. It was a few minutes before I could actually detirmine the exact bite site. Fly paper rolls seemed to have nailed a few of the critters. Seems they are coming under the sill plate somewhere across the basement. Bad news is that is the same area as we have a pet rabbit and finches, so no hornet spray. Maybe I'll just sit with my BB gun and get them!
rofl.gif

I was always told that a Yellow Jacket can sting repeatedly and will not leave it's stinger while bees can only sting once and ends up dieing after it leaves it's stinger. I know I've been hit several times by one Yellow Jacket, I will go out of my way to kill every one I see. They don't even have to be provoked.

I'm getting about a half dozen Yellow Jackets a day inside of my shop -they're coming in thorough gaps in the old redwood siding... They hang around the flourescent lights or in the small window at the ceiling on the south end of the shop... I blast 'em out of mid air w/carb cleaner and dance on 'em..
Shotgun.gif

I know starting ether works also. If you have to aim at a painted surface it has little/no effect.
Of course if you blast a bunch of them you could put yourself to sleep.
uhoh.gif

Kendell - If I were you I'd go outside of your shop and just watch. I remember several years ago at my Dads shop yellowjackets started building their nest in the wall and were getting in the shop as well. We had a time trying to burn them out. We almost burned the shop down. You have to be patient watching because they come and go in single file and before you know it you can literally have thousands. It's also wise to make sure they are, in fact yellow jackets and not bees. Bees are a good thing when it comes to the garden and they aren't aggressive. If they're hairy they're bees, if not, kill 'em.

Brendan - Yes, they will sting and bite repeatedly and when you have five or ten doing this before you know it you're on the way the the emergency room.

Wayne:
Hairy?? Not sure after I stepped on 'em.(nah, really they're short hair yellow belly wasps). I have pretty well established where they're entering and have treated the entrance area with the a powder (permethrin). It seems to have slowed down any new entries, but I think they're holed up in the wall. Cool day today, so I'm getting them INSIDE the building...

Dave R.
Yes the Buzzzz was good, and I think I only have about 2 bottles left from that year, out of about 30 or so I made.

As the grape ripen, they're busy at work again destroying my grapes and driving off would be human predators on them.
flame.gif

Kids came running in the house to inform me of a bee nest in my front lawn shade tree. They had thrown a rock at them, but hadn't gotten stung.
169662.jpg

I will have to Kill them today if it keeps raining.

Back