• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Which Hydraulic Fluid should I use in my Cub 3235

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcambra

displayname
Mark cambra
I am trying to get a straight answer on which fluid to use for my Cub Cadet 3235.

I have the service manuals for both the Cub Cadet 3235 and the Hydro-Gear BDU-21L.

My 3235 service manual which indicates I have a BDU-21L transmission and
My Hydro-Gear BDU-21L Service manual indicates that 20W-50 engine oil should be used.

I even called Hydro-gear and the technician said that 20W-50 is what they recommend, but cub cadet might need something slightly different for the gear box or something. I questioned him if 20W-50 would work and he said to ask around to see if someone that knows Cub Cadets would agree that 20W-50 would work or explain the difference/reason for the Cub Cadet Oil.

Cub Cadet recommends that I purchase their "special" oil.

Please let me know. Unless the fluids look the same, it appears to have 20W-50 motor oil in it, but I just replaced a few minor parts (pump adapter and Gerotor assembly) and I plan to change the fluid and filter, but I am confused whether 20W-50 will work the same, better, or worse.

From what I was told when I purchased my 3235 back in 05, you need to use the special oil perscribed by cub cadet as it has different properties in it that IH Hy-Tran does not have.
Something about the seals in the pump and hydro unit, anything but cubs special oil would destroy the seals.
Now I don't know this to be true, but I do not want to find out the hard way so I dig deap and pay for the special oil for my 3235 when I need to change the hydro oil and filter.

Back