• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

What have I got

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KScott

I bought this mower 30 years ago at an auction and used it to mow my yard for 5 years and parked it in the shed for the last 25. Got it out flushed everything and started right up and mowed my yard last week.

My question is:

Can anyone tell from the pictures what model or year it is. I have looked everywhere for a serial number and can't find anything. 20200425_185740.jpg 20200425_185740.jpg 20200425_185705.jpg 20200425_185557.jpg 20200425_185729.jpg

It’s a 100 10 hp would have been built only two years. 1964-65 serial number tag would have been on the back of the rear end they are missing a lot of times.

I had not seen one with the international and turbo on the hood. Wasn't sure if that was original or do e at the dealership

Looks like a newer motor. I am still jealous though. I think they had a metal tag riveted on originally. the Kohler logo was different too. this from the guy who did not bother to look at the tag in the first place!

Well, the 'International' probably was for a Farmall/International Cub, not a Cub Cadet. And the 'Turbo' decal was for a bigger tractor like a 1466.

Actually, I think one of my "Original"s has the 'International' decal on it. I'm sure it has been repainted, though.

Looks like an earlier 100 given the large battery box and metal steering wheel. Engine is definitely a later replacement. The serial number is likely on the lower right side of the transmission housing, a 5 digit number stamped directly into the casting. Right behind the heal of your right foot if you are sitting on the tractor. It may be hard to read if the tractor has been painted at some point. Nice machine with optional fenders and the rear lift.

Attachments

• 20200425_185705.jpg
    20200425_185705.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 199
Appears to be a model 70 or 100 with a replacement engine. As Brian stated, the early 100s had the acorn nut holding the steering wheel on later 100s had a fancier steering wheel with a plastic center cap. The 70 retained the acorn nut style. The serial number should be stamped into the cast rear end on the right side ahead of the wheel. Look here for details, link below:

FAQ Serial Number

That number is too short to be a 100 number I’m guessing there are other number that are not being seen. Here’s a chart to help but I would most definitely say you have missed one if not two numbers. Only other thing is rear end could have been swapped at some point with an older unit but I doubt it do to the front housings being totally different. They can be changed but it’s extra work anyway good look

Attachments

• 3E060470-80A7-4650-AAEE-FEBC9BC11248.png
    3E060470-80A7-4650-AAEE-FEBC9BC11248.png
    13.6 KB · Views: 164
This cub is a 70/100 series, made from 1963 to 1965. It has a replacement engine, so it is unclear if it was a 70 or a 100.
From the looks of it, you might be able to carefully peel the international label off and see if a 70 or 100 is still under it.
The seat is also not original for this series.
The serial number is located on the right side of the transmission at the front near the foot platform. Here is a pic showing where it is located.

tag three.jpg

it could also be located on the small square just to the left of the tip of the pin.
Make sure you sand the square real good, because these numbers may be faintly stamped.

I have had a couple of people ask me if it is for sale. Thought I would ask you guys what it is worth. I have no idea, and would appreciate it if someone with knowledge of these machines could give me a ball park figure.

Based on the serial number I'm going to say it started out life as a 70 and got upgraded to 10hp later on. I have an 80,XXX 100 that I know was originally a 100, and it has the later plastic steering wheel that came on the 100's after the switch from the metal steering wheel. So an 84K 100 would likely have had the later steering wheel.

As for worth, it's really hard to say. Sadly most of these are worth more in parts than together when you consider the fenders and rear lift. I've seen similar machines list from 350 to over 1000 dollars on Craigs List around here. The 350 dollar machines disappear in a few days, the 1000 dollar machines generally don't. Price varies a lot with location, it's simply harder to find these in some parts of the county.

Well being as the engine paint around the tag is black I’d say it’s definitely been replaced as a factory motor would have been all yellow and ithe tractor appears to be unpainted. I’d say it’s a later model 10 hp.

Here is what an original 10 hp 100 engine plate should look like.
motor plate.jpg

Last edited:
Brian,
How can you tell if a cub is a 70 or 100 by the serial number? It was my understanding that they were both made at the same time from 63' to 65'.

Back