• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

What’s involved with adding a mower deck to a 70/100?

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Title says it all I guess. I’m looking to buy a 70/100 original model, but many that I see are without a deck. If I buy a tractor from X and a deck from Y; what issues am I looking at to mate them together? Thanks.

Also, I read somewhere that IH went to a direct drive to the clutch instead of belt-to-clutch. Is this something to consider when scouting and buying?

Belt to clutch drive was on the "Original" models, not the rest of the line such as what you are considering.

You need to be sure and get the correct mule drive for the tractor you are considering.

It need to look like this one here
1689090997246.png

See, this is the stuff that spooks me. This hardware should and I say (should) all be still on the tractor, right? I have seen some decks for sale with #7 still attached to the deck.

Thank you for the answer on the belt vs direct drive systems. My concern is I'll be using the tractor to pull wagons, dead cars and up-root saplings. An Original shouldn't have much issue with this, right? Or would I be better suited to look for a 71?

And to clarify, an Original (aka. an “O”) and a model 70 / model 100 are different critters. Models 70 / 100 are rather similar, but there are notable differences between them and the “O.”

Welcome to the forum!
Do a little research, by looking at the deck manuals and tractor manuals. Out of the three, the 100 will have the most power.

And to clarify, an Original (aka. an “O”) and a model 70 / model 100 are different critters. Models 70 / 100 are rather similar, but there are notable differences between them and the “O.”
Whoa. So, the “O” has the pointed hood with the ornament and the cursive script decal, right? The mower deck is square or trapezoidal?

It’s rare to see a square deck I’m finding, when were they fitted vs the triangular or trpizoid shaped decks?

Whoa. So, the “O” has the pointed hood with the ornament and the cursive script decal, right? The mower deck is square or trapezoidal?

It’s rare to see a square deck I’m finding, when were they fitted vs the triangular or trpizoid shaped decks?
I’m not sure about the decks on the O’s, but the deck for my 100 is more trapezoidal than square. I’m not familiar with the model numbers for either style deck, but that detail would likely help you.
Others in this community will know!

I’m not sure about the decks on the O’s, but the deck for my 100 is more trapezoidal than square. I’m not familiar with the model numbers for either style deck, but that detail would likely help you.
Others in this community will know!
Originals had a rectangular deck with two blades, driven by a toothed deck belt and "cogged" spindles. Initial blade setting is with the blades perpendicular to each other.

Latest posts

Back