• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Vista sucks...

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bryan:
One of the folks I do private support for just got a new Dell desktop about two months ago. I'm getting the XP drivers and loading XP Pro for 'em this weekend.. Vista too much of a PITA for the wife to put up with........

Kendell -

Pretty sure everyone said the same thing when they went from Windows 3.1 to NT. Or 95. Or rotary to touch tone
lol.gif

Our favorite at the office is still 2000. No activation required
wink.gif

I can feel the pain, having gone to a cell phone running Linux. The interface is close but no cigar with regard to previous Motorola UIs...

Bryan:
What phone? (Using Feisty Fawn??
clown.gif
)

You want pain?? I retired last summer.. I had 55,000 to worry about, now I've got a handful (voluntarily, I admit), that I end up with phone calls starting with "Double click on My Computer and then right click on......, yes, that's double click on My Computer, no, My Documents isn't the same as My Computer"......If only Bob had been part of XP....

I was still on mainframes (Unisys MCP) when 3.1 came out, had taken over desktop PC, server and network support for one agency (2500 users) when NT4 was released and was responsible just for desktops for 19 agencies the last 5 years, while rolling out XP. The XP experience was actually the best, but only because we had large staff and political support (mostly) to do the conversion and supply both before and after rollout training and support... With the Vista emphasis on security (with all the end-user involvement) I'm glad I won't be there for that change...

lol.gif

My second job involved supporting a VAXcluster and which took up 2 rows in the data center, the rest of the room was chock full of UNIVAC 1100/73. VAX/VMS was my life until then, so I prayed pretty heavily that the 1100 would stay up during my time on rotation.

It was, of course, humbling to see that 1100 sent out to pasture in 3 semis, to be replaced by a two-cabinet 2200. We had room to play floor hockey in there
wink.gif

Anyway, PCs? Lotta Tandy 1000SX's there. Of course, those of us in IT hotrodded ours with a FULL 640KB and an NEC V80 processor
roflol.gif

Ah, WP for DOS and Lotus 1-2-3...

I came from the "other" side of the Unisys house (Burroughs..) When I started we had 3 B-5500s (entire state's law enforcement network) stuffed into a space big enough for one. We progressed through 6700's (3), 7800 (1) and finally an A-17. We had some of the B-series micros around, but really moved straight into DOS based PCs that were networked with a proprietary card that "knew" Burroughs Poll Select. They were still in use until we started migrating them to XP about two years ago.. If you were around big iron, your closest friends carried tools, including the Field Engineers, electricians and most of all, the HVAC guys!! I don't miss the old days (13 years of 24 x 7 as Ops mgr..)

Latest posts

Back