• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Troybilt Blues

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wshytle

displayname
Wayne Shytle
My brother, who's never owned a cub, was given a Troybilt Pony riding mower by a friend. It is an '06 model as far as he could find out. The friend is the type of guy that when something breaks he will just go buy another machine. The mower sat for a couple of years close to the coast (salt air) but still looks almost new. He brought it over for me to fix and we have spent 6 or 7 hours getting it back in shape. He spent over $100 for belts and a battery. We had to do a little bit of everything to this thing. The carb was nasty and when we tried to take the engine mounting bolts out two of them broke off. The engine has to be loosened to get belts on and off. It has a nice Briggs 17.5hp I/C engine. We finally got all of the belts replaced and the darn deck back on and he tried it out. It mowed fine for about five minutes before the $30 deck belt shredded. I hate MTD crap. I guess we may have overlooked something but I took plenty of pics and everything looked as it should.

I've tried to get my brother to invest in a cub but he's satisfied with cheap. Just last week I fixed a Murray rider he has had for a few years. The deck on it is just about rusted all the way through the middle with holes galore and it throws grass clippings everywhere. I told him I didn't want to waste good welding wire on that deck and to find another. Then he was given the Troybilt.

I'd be better off in the long run by just giving him a cub.

Wayne, I think you're on to something there. At least you would enjoy doing the work.
smile.gif

If I decide to do that I'd have a couple of years to refurb one. His "new" mower should be about dead by then.

Latest posts

Back