• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Cub 1440 keeps shredding deck belts.

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mschneider

displayname
Michael Schneider
I had the dreck belt shred on my 1440 so I put a new one on and it lasted an hour. Tried another one after leveling all the pulleys and that one lasted less than an hour. WTH is going on? The original was on for years till it wore out. This is getting expensive. We have a tractor dealer in the county so I'll stop by and ask them. Maybe the pitch on the belts were wrong, but I'm definitely buying a recommended Cub belt by the numbers.

If anyone has a suggestion I'm all ears.

I had the dreck belt shred on my 1440 so I put a new one on and it lasted an hour. Tried another one after leveling all the pulleys and that one lasted less than an hour. WTH is going on? The original was on for years till it wore out. This is getting expensive. We have a tractor dealer in the county so I'll stop by and ask them. Maybe the pitch on the belts were wrong, but I'm definitely buying a recommended Cub belt by the numbers.

If anyone has a suggestion I'm all ears.
Pics of your setup will help a lot. 😉

My experience is ...the belt is not inside the metal tab that keeps belt from jumping or it has moved to a position that it's dragging on the edge of the belt...you used the term shredded so look for something dragging/rubbing against...

Things to be aware of with these older decks:

1. The idler pulley tension springs lose their tension and even break as they age and become rusted.
  2. The main blade pullies do get rust on them and will cause a rough surface that chews belts up in no time, Cub Cadet OEM belts or not. You will see evidence of that with rubber bits all over
  3. Make sure that the idler pully tension arm is smooth and moving properly. The pivots get rusted and will seize. Some decks have a zerk fitting to allow regular lubrication to help prevent this.
  4. Make sure all bearings are smooth, quiet and tight. The idler pulley is not greaseable.
  5. Especially with the PTO to deck belts, OEM belts are a must. You can get away with cheaper replacements for the deck itself, but generally it is advisable to stick with the stuff it was born with.

Back