• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Transmission stuck in third gear

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blacoe

displayname
Bret LaCoe
Hello everyone,
I think I may have killed my transmission on my 1961 original cub cadet. I was trying to get the tractor into the garage to get the chains on it - it was slipping in the snow, so I got off and pushed it while it was in gear. When it got in the garage, it took off and I reached up to pull it out of gear and accidentally jammed it into third gear. Now, if I put it in first or second gear and let out the clutch it just squeals. I can't even put the shifter in second or third gear, but when I let out the clutch it's stuck in third gear (even though the shifter is in neutral). Does anyone have any idea what I may have done? Also, would a transmission from a 70 series cub cadet fit? Thanks!

First off, your original is a garden tractor, so this belongs in the main forum. I think you've got it in 2 gears somehow. Take off the shifter and see what's going on. If you have the shifter in neutral and both shift forks don't line up, something is wrong. You can line them back up again (I'm guessing its stuck in third since you can't get it into second or third) and it should be fine if the shift forks aren't bent or broken.

A 70 transmission will not fit.

Latest posts

Back