• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Trailer train

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jegstad

displayname
Jim Egstad
Hey all you train people, I saw a train in Indiana on Wednesday that blew me away. Maybe someone can tell me what it was and post a few picts.

I was at a red light in Huntington, IN and was about 50 yards from a rail crossing. The train consisted of what looked like regular highway semi-trailers hooked nose to tail and they were not sitting on flatcars like a normal piggy-back setup. Instead they seemed to be supported on a 4 wheel truck where each pair joined together and there was no railcar underneath. The train was doing at least 50 mph and all I could see was about 2 trailers as they popped out from behind the buildings on both side of the street I was on, so it was hard to do a detailed study as they flashed by.

All the way back I kept wondering how they could pull a long train at all if they were standard lightweight boxes, how could they brake the whole thing, etc, etc.

So today I finally got a chance to Google it and found some references to "train of trailers" but they were mostly patent descriptions with no pictures. However these do describe what I saw ......"Novel highway trailers can be mounted on railtruck assemblies to form a train of highway trailers, the railtruck assemblies including a conventional railtruck which supports a novel intermodal adaptor. The novel highway trailers include a forwardly extending tongue and coupling structure at the rear to which may be secured the tongue of a following trailer and the intermodal adaptor of a railtruck assembly". Other references are similar.

This implies these were not standard highway trailers so they could be built rugged enough to hold up, provide brake air lines, etc which answers my questions.

So does anyone out there have some pictures of this type of train, and where they are in service?

TIA

Jim-
There's THREE out there.
ROADRAILER
RAILRUNNER
RAILMATE

The latter I personally worked on (as in the engineering state www.railmate.com).

Likely in your area you saw ROADRAILER. Road railer (I think) is owned by Triple Crown services and was developed with Wabash Trailers. This is known as "carless" technology. I believe it is genuinely a good idea, but Roadrailer is designed to use a special van-type trailer in their system. The bogie between cars is a standard rail bogie with a bit of a special brake system (has to do more with the park brake and a special tool used). Each trialer is plumbed with a rail air line in addition to the road air lines, this allows full rail functionality. The van trailers employ an air suspension to ger on and off the rail.

The RAILRUNNER system is similar but different in some nice ways. It uses a non-traditional bogie with air bags which then doesn't require the trailer to use air bags to lift on and off the rail. They have demonstrated use with van trailers and flatbed type trailers.

The RAILMATE system, unlike the previous two, can move on and off the rail being carried by the trailer. It doesn't require a specific trailer construction, just a special connection at the rear which I believe can be retrofitted. From what I hear it's either going to go through final testing soon or has gone through it soon. It was first run with grain trailers, has already run at Pueblo and several demonstrations.

For the engineering buffs the carless technology is pretty interesting, there has been a lot of technology developed to anaylize rail dynamics that in the end will provide to be beneficial for all rail traffic.

I don't deal with the products anymore, I'm a fire truck guy now
happy.gif

Thanks guys. I grew up in the trucking business and this really was interesting to see. I know some grain highways (example: US 2 in Minnesota) that could use this stuff.

Jim,
The Roadrailer/Triple Crown system runs through the local village I live in (Middle Point, Ohio). There is a terminal in Ft. Wayne, Indiana and Lima, Ohio. I'm not sure how far to the east they go. Once in awhile I will see a Triple Crown trailer/tractor going up and down the 4 lane highway.

Latest posts

Back