• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

The Perfect Plow Tractor?

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Earl F--thanks for weighing in on the discussion. In a perfect world, I'd love to get my hands in another splined, ported, hydro out of a power steering GT complete with the CV joint drive shaft and retro fit that into Caleb's 107. From what I've read here, that would have a higher charge pressure which on a non power steering tractor should result in putting even more power to the ground. As I've driven his tractor a few times over the last couple of weeks, I'm gonna have to tighten up the linkage for sure. It is pretty loose and won't even stay in neutral while idling. I've also decided at this point to upgrade to the hydro lift. It is going to take some work but I know it is worth it.

Charge pump pressure is adjustable with relief valve spring shims. On the ported pump there are 2 relief valves , one for hydro make up oil, the other for the lift circuit.

Some day down the road I might plow in a field with the 782, but that's way down the list. I will look for a spring assist for the 1200 soon, and #1-1450 and it will be my field tractors. Dave S. Put a hyd lift on his 126, they came with electric or manual only. Just will need a little modifying. Or if this is a rear only implement tractor, could fab up your own with the right cylinder connected only to the 3 point. Or to a sleeve hitch. Hmm, now I'm thinking...

Earl F. I don't know how strong the springs assist springs are on the newer MTD built Cub Cadets however I've been tempted to buy a couple off fleabay and make my own spring assist If you have a MAPP gas torch you can heat and flatten the ends of the rod and bend to fit where needed. Then fabricate the lower mounting bracket for your 1200. I had the spring but not the rest of the parts so that is how I made the spring assist for the 108.

Thanks Marlin! I'm going to look into that. I'll have to find the pick of the 'spring assist' I put on my Case 220. Mack truck break spring hooked to part of sleeve hitch and the drawbar

As we are nearing BPD X any other pictorial favorites of your favorite plow tractor owned or observed and why you like/liked it...
dunno.gif

So guys--I just picked up a potential plow tractor for next season. I've been loosely looking for one of these for several years. It is a 582 with a later model 18hp Briggs twin. The sheet metal and paint are really clean for being original. I would guess that this tractor has never been stored outside. The carb needs some work for sure but everything else seems to be in good working order. Over the winter I plan to purchase some V-61's and some AG's for it and hopefully by next summer I'll have another nice little plow tractor put together.

Pics to follow...

Joshua S. Awesome and Congratulations!!! That will make a sweet Plow Day tractor.
311014.gif
It even has Fancy's approval.
311015.gif

I have plowed with 582's that had the 16hp Briggs.....they are a HOSS, 18 would only be better.

Now add hyd lift and you are in!

Congrats!

Thanks Gents and Fancy! I'm listening Steve--I have some ideas but I'm interested in your thoughts...

I'm guessing modify or make your own basically. Something like the narrow frame hydraulic lift system where being either a hydro or gear drive made no difference. If it's just a plow tractor, could utilize the PTO or front of engine in some way. Judging by Caleb's Grizzly I think we'll be learning from you on this subject.
greenthumb.gif

Thanks Earl. Case had a full hydraulic system on their GT's that powers not only attachments and lift but also the drive system, hence the name they coined "HyDrive". While their drive system lacks the infinite speed of a true hydro, it has some positives to it. However, I've looked often at that system and though it would really be cool to put on a GD Cub. The pump is bolted to the engine and connected with a lovejoy coupler on the Case/Ingy tractors. They have a separate large fluid tank and obviously a control valve, hoses, rams, etc. since the pump has enough guts to power their whole system, it would be cool to place it on a tractor where it only had to run the lift system and maybe power steering...

If I wanted to add hydraulic lift to a 582 or and wide frame, I would do it like this. Use as much as you can of what IH made, from hydraulic lift equipped tractor. Then add a small pump driven off the driveshaft. I can not take credit for this, it is posted on another Cub Cadet site, and this is not my Cub.
Thanks,
Mike
311064.jpg

311065.jpg

That's not a bad idea Josh, I know Cases/Ingersoll well. I've had 5, I actually have Case parts sitting on the shelf for this, but on my 220. It has manual lift. If you go that route let me know, I'll look in my stock. Mike has a great point on original parts and sticking under tunnel cover, you'd never know it was there!

Only problem with that set up is that the hydraulics aren't live. They are only functional when the clutch is out.....that's annoying!!!

For a dedicated plow tractor, run it off the front pto....

Thank you Mike for sharing. You definitely read my mind when it comes to using as many "Cub correct" parts as possible! If and when I put hydraulic lift I would want a factory dual spool control valve, use the spare 782 tower that I have, an '82 series correct rock shaft assembly including lift ram, and get a 782 correct dash. Everything else would be hidden under the expansive '82 series sheet metal and so to me, the pump system type doesn't matter to me as long as it is functional. Thanks for the pics!

I would definitely set it up to the crank because it will be dedicated for plowin and ground engaging work.

What's a plow tractor without good tires? You need good traction to plow and that comes from grippy tires and the appropriate amount of weight. I'm a big fan of TruPowers, however, I only have one set and that is on the mule. All my other tractors have what came on them or what I obtained in barter deals. So, has anyone run the Deestone D405 tire? I have a buddy that is interested in purchasing a pair for his plow tractor build. They are very cost efficient but he was wondering how well they would work. Opinions???

I've heard they are slightly smaller and cheaper comes from less rubber in the lugs, hence smaller diameter. Just hear say, I love my true powers!

Latest posts

Back