• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

The cats are here, now it's time for the dogs

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Keith O, I just now saw the pics of your two Pitts. they are handsome. Pits do get a bad rap, and they are known as ' kid nannies', as they are protective and nurturing, which I am sure everyone knowns. It depends on how they are breed, as is with any breed of dog, and or cat for that matter.

Loved the " Branch Manager" pic. Working together always gets things done.! lol

Wayne,
1a_scratchhead.gif
areyou ok now? lol

Allen and all-

Losing my mind has become a daily activity and isn't a big deal because there wasn't much to work with from the start.

I just jumped the gun the other day thinking I was in the "cat" thread for some reason.

Damon, my high school buddies son that now has two sons of his own has a pit bull, Bell that wouldn't hurt a flea. I wouldn't try to bring harm to any one of his family though. Pits can turn on in a heartbeat to protect their domain which is a good thing. Bell does hate a squirrel and even saying squirrel gets her sooooo excited. She's getting on up in the years now and shows a lot of gray around her snout. I think she's around ten years old. Damon never had her ears clipped or her tail docked and that tail will beat the hell out of your legs when she gets excited. She's just a big sweetheart and loves everybody...especially those boys.

I had a Lab Mix, that actually tried to protect me from harm, and then was sooo vigilent after the " attack", that no one would get past her if they came onto me to quick. I was divorcing my ex, and he came into the house one night while I was out with friends. I found my custom diamond earrings missing, so I know that was what he was after. No bigger..he could have them, I just would have sold them. lol) anyways,I guess he hid upstairs when friends came home with me to have an early breakfast after shooting pool one night. I ended up waking up on the floor in the kitchen and Bonnie had blood on her. Interestingly enough my ex showed up a few days later to ask for something from the house, and I thought Bonnie was going to kill him. I actually had to lock her in a room, and low and behold he had a pretty nasty wound on his hand. I wonder where he got that.? yeah, he said it was from an accident at work, but we knew better. After that I moved into a cottage like apartment and one night I could hear someone trying to get in the back dooor. I wasn't worried as it was to secure, but I was in bed and Bonnie laid on top of me and growled. If someone would have broken thru, she would have killed " that" someone. She was half Saint Bernard and half yellow lab and was as black as the ace of spades but was HUGE, although she looked like a lab.

Our furkids are amazing, no wonder the breed or type. I also had a kitty that would protect me. One night I had a friend over, and he was going to simply put his arm up on the back of the couch, where I was sitting, and Little Stinker ripped into him. She wasn't having any part of that person getting THAT close to me. The energy had been rather tense,and we hadn't been getting along, so Stinker sure did pick up on that energy. I thought it was rather cool..an attack cat..He didnt, and left. hahaha

Cath

Beautiful day in Aroostook County. That said, how about some opinions about what kind of dog to get for a 2-3 year old boy? A friend lost a St. Bernard puppy at 5 months old, just when they were getting used to having it. Now they're "gunshy". I visited with Shadow and Derek told me that Morgan cried for 2 hours after she left. Me, I recommended a Golden Retriever. After that, I'd recommend a Black Lab. After that, I'd recommend a Mongrel! Like Shadow! 42 pounds of take-with-you-anywhere and considers the Jeep her doghouse!
happy.gif
happy.gif

We've had 3 Shelties (shetland sheepdogs) wonderful, highly inteligent and friendly each one of them.

My 2 cents..

I've had many dogs and the best of them all was "Medic", a black lab so that's where my vote lies.

That dog was so perfect he didn't even smell when he got wet. He was retrieving doves at 6 months of age and did it for 14 years and lived to over 16 years of age. I still miss him every day.

Frank-How did they lose the St. Bernard at 5 months of age?

Wayne, I really don't know. It was acting "strange', they took it to the vet, the vet prescribed medication and the next day it woke up dead. These things happen when you're dealing with "dumb animals". And I know that the meaning of "dumb" is that they can't talk and need us "undumb" people to read their actions and thoughts, but that happens over time. Same with tractors.
happy.gif

Frank - have not had any of your first three, but the next door neighbors had a Golden and recently lost "Elvis" after 14 years - he was a black lab/shepard mix and one of my best friends - he always heard me from the 175 yards or so between our places and never failed to "woof" every time he saw me. Either a Golden or a Black Lab would be high on my list...

Frank,how sad that this little guy lost his first pet so tragically. I can certainly understand their being hesitant. Sounds like a drug reaction in a way, but something went terribly wrong, that is for sure. With bigger breeds like Saints, they do have health issues and the one big one is hip dysplasia.

I concur with the guys. I believe that MOST of larger breeds are best for familys and with small children. I've had my lab/saint mix and a Pure breed Golden, who were both extremely gentle and intellengient. I only had to take my lab out once to house break her. I was astounded with that expereince. lol. Smaller dags can be threatened by small children, and mutts are good too, IF you know who the parents are, or what breeds are mixed together. Some breeds dont mix to well. also for abit bigger kids, Beagles are excellent as well. I got my first dog when I was 11 and she was a miniture beagle and a perfect companion for years and years.

Cath

I came across this picture that I had forgotten about. I agree with the others about the large breeds making good pets. She was a Newfoundland/ Great Pyrenees mix, very smart, friendly, barked only when it was necessary, liked to play and work (would help you carry things), loved kids and would come get you if one of the grandkids were crying, loved to ride or go for walks, and thought anyone that came to the house came to see her. The Pyrenees is a working guard dog for livestock and they bark a lot so I don't know that they would make a good pet. They can kill up to bear size predators to protect their herd or flock. The Newfie is a water dog use a lot for water rescue, and a big, loveable, "bear". In her case, the Pyre/Newfie mix made the sweetest pet I've ever had, but both breeds have a fairly short life span and are subject to hip problems and their wagging tail can topple over a small child if they get in the way of it.
261754.jpg

Paul, what a sweet pic of your " girl" and the christmas tree. I loved the caption. Your girl was quite special, and I so enjoyed your sharing about her. What was her name? I think I missed that? or did I?

I have always been in awe of the pyryness and the newfoundlands, but never had the space for such a big dog. Yep, its so sad that the larger breeds have shortened life spans, and major health issues as wel; and anyone getting a dog should know what all the health/care issues are before adopting one.

I know Pits are amazing family dogs too, and Wayne as you said your friends Pit was gentle, but don't expect anyone to show agression to the family and get past that with a Pit around. I think most big breeds are great protectors of those they share their surroundings. lol.

I lived with a friend for awhile and had a half wolf and Quinn was extremely protective of my daughter and myself. Infact, if someone would come, quinn would walk a circle around us, as though he was signalling this is the area I claim and do NOT pass into this or you will deal with ME !!he made sure company knew he was THERE.

Cath

Since others are sharing pics, I thought I'd try to also. First is our Dutch Shepard, Fiona. Sweetest dog ever... You'll see her cousins at almost every airport in the country! TSA loves the breed!
261779.jpg

And then our "little guy", Graydon. Shelties have become our favorites! Yes, he's sticking his tongue out at you all!
happy.gif

261780.jpg

Mike, Fiona is gorgeous. I dont think I'be ever seen a Dutch Shepard.I'm loving Graydon sticking his tongue out..lol. To cute. Thanks for sharing. I so enjoy seeing everyones puppies and stories.

Cath

Thanks Cath... Fiona wasn't wanted by the breeder so she came to us as a pup. She's been a sweetheart ever since. Just don't get your fingers between her toys and her teeth!
err.gif

Had this doggy on my back porch yesterday - can't identify the breed.. I think he may be the reason I don't have any rabbits around....

262809.jpg

Gerry,
rofl.gif
yep, having a 'yote in the area will tend to reduce the rabbit population.

Coyotes: Smart critters. They've been blamed for the decline of deer in Northern Maine - and I'll admit that if the food source is available they'll be around. Howsomever, I blame the harvesting of traditional deer yards for the most of the decline. Like the Barn Swallows, the deer have places to go that their parents show them. When that place disappears they're left wondering WTF happened and WTH do we do now.
1a_scratchhead.gif

Kraig - he was actually nosing a mole run in my yard at first. I'm torn..... I'll leave him alone if he takes on the ground hog under my back shed..
bouncy.gif

Latest posts

Back