Super P/S ram for hydro angle blade?

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nbextermueller

displayname
Nic Bextermueller
I finally have a 54" blade for my 2072. Now I really want hydro angle on it. I have a full P/S setup from a parted cyclops Super. Could I use the steering ram on the blade if I made all my own brackets? Does it have enough swing and guts to hold up to plowing?

Secondly, SHOULD I part a perfectly working hydro steering setup? Seems kinda cruddy to part such a seemingly rare-ish and desirable upgrade.

Should I be on the look out for a lift cylinder from a cub?

Look at the size of the ram on the pics below and your steering cylinder ram and you'll have your answer.
Not to mention the length.
292067.jpg

292068.jpg

There is no way a PS ram will hold up. Find an example and try to find the closest thing at surplus supply. I can measure my Haban cylinder for you if you'd like.

Thanks guys, I kinda figured it was a little small. Steve, if you want to give me the measurements, that would be great. Maybe I'll run down to the nearest Tractor Supply and catch a good clearance day.

Not sure if I can ask this here Charlie, but what does that white cylinder complete with hoses usually run coming out of your place? Just to give me a ball park shopping.

The way they made the power angle it was made to use a 7" stroke cyl.You can find 6 and 8 but no 7" cyls.Any other combo would be short one way and too much the other way unless you took the cyl apart and cut it down.

Seems to me if I use an 8" stroke cylinder and I'm gabbing my own mounts anyways, I could just reconfigure the rear mount and get to swing even... Thanks for the tips guys.

This is what I am getting ready to do. I have a 7.25" stroke ram I got from surplus supply 10 years ago.

Does someone have the rod and bore diameter size for the angle ram?

Jim

rod = 1-1/8" dia
OD of cylinder = just shy of 2"
stroke = 7-1/2"
pin to pin length, fully extended = 21-1/2"

Steve,

Thanks for the Info.

The ram I have is around 1.25 ID diameter. The rod is only 0.625", most likely would bend at some point.

Jim

A quick check at Northern showed a 2" bore, 8" stroke 1-1/8" rod cylinder with a pin to pin of ~20"......very close to what's necessary.....

You know, I was looking at the 54" blade manual posted in my other thread and notice it calls for a little handle to release the angle stop from your seat.

If this detent angle stop is still used "technically" the cylinder would never see any heavy forces since the pin is holding the blade, not the cylinder. Am I thinking correctly?

Is this angle stop pin handle thingy not usually around anymore? Cause if the pin is pulled to allow the blade to angle from the seat, obviously the cylinder then takes the full force of "blunier ramming speed".

Just some thoughts...

Nic Bextermueller

I have the pin pulled so the cylinder can rotate the blade . never heard of locking it in position with the cylinder in use . I would love to try my 54" blade out this winter but my 1512 is the only tractor that has front ports and it will have the snow Cab and a 450 installed .

Latest posts

Back