• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Robert G's new 154

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rgaley

displayname
Robert Galey
Hi everyone, I've just purchased a Cub 154 with a 60" woods deck. The unit has been restored. I got the deck mounted and the belt on and then when I engage the PTO it kills the engine just like I turned off the key. Is there a safety device inside that I might be missing. Everything turns free with the belt on or off. However, it will engage and not kill the motor if the belt is off the PTO pulley.

Check for a short in the pto safety starting switch. My schematic shows shows a switch with an orange w/black tracer wire that feeds from the main clutch safety starting switch.

Charles R: The 184 has an electric PTO clutch but the 154 does not! It's manual. Got one.. costs big bucks to rebuild too..ask me how I know that..

Robert G: You really need that manual. Download it from the link Charlie provided or printed copies are available. www.binderbooks.com has them but I got the service manual and parts manual direct from Case/IH.

I suspect that you may have a governor problem.. It's apparently not kicking in when you put the engine under load (i.e., pulling up the PTO engagement handle). BTDT...

Myron B

MYRON - Dad had a 154 for a couple years, sold it in June '06 at his last auction. He spent just over $400 rebuilding the PTO clutch that spring and the tractor only brought $1300 at his sale. It was pretty rough, only went a couple miles down the road....the new owner drove it home. Sad thing was He had NO idea how to shift a non-synchro manual transmission! I'm surprised the 154 survived the trip! Dad later told Me it "Didn't Survive" mowing his yard the first time. Guy hit a clothes line pole and broke the frt axle. OUCH!

Comparing that 154 to my 982.....really makes me appreciate my 982!

MBounds: I have a 154 and yes it does not have an electric pto. Neither does it have a PTO safety starting switch. But later model 154/185 had a safety starting switch.
Robert G. Since you indicated that it shut down like the ignition had been turned off I figured it was an electrical problem with the safety switch at the PTO which was grounding out the ignition switch. The switch shoul only prevent the tractor from starting when the PTO is engaged. You could TEMPORARILY bypass the circuit to see if that cured your problem.
Could also be that the P.O. incorrectly wired the circuits to the ignition switch or even a bad switch that allows the safety switch to ground the ignition switch when you engage the PTO. these are just what jumps to mind IF your problem is electrical.

Back