• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Repower 782 opinion

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cfiles

displayname
charles files
I ran accross a good running Onan b48m 18hp. How difficult would it be to put in a 782 roller I have. I see the exaust would need to be changed and I would need to figure out the wiring but would this be a good fit or wait on 18m?

Wait for an M18, if only because Onan parts are insanely expensive. I have also heard not-so-good things about the governor on most of those twin-cylinder Onans as well.

Charles: As an owner of a 782 that has had three (3) different engines in it, I think you can physically mount just about any kind of engine you want to in a 782. I've had a Briggs & Statton 16 HP, the original Kohler KT 17 Series I, and the current Kohler 18M that I had to buy an entire tractor to obtain. Dennis Frisk can speak to the power and problems ($$$) of owning an Onan. What I noticed tearing down a 1250 and comparing its mounting to the 782 engine bay is that I could even mount Quiet Line engines in the 782, although I would probably want at least a well-tuned 12 HP unit to power the hydralics. Depending on how I much I like the way my 149 runs, I may even go back with the 12 HP unit out of the 1250 if anything goes wrong with the Magnum motor. I probably don't need all that power just to mow the grass.

The biggest issue with the engine replacement is getting the drive train sorted out. It seems the B&S was NEVER attached to the drive shaft like it should have been when I bought it. It had let loose at least once and the steering column suffered damage from which I don't think it will ever recover. (I've repaired it, but it still "sticks.") It was only because of the sharp eyes of Matt Gonitzky that I discovered that the Sears Magnum I was using did not have the proper interface to the drive shaft. I had to locate and install a drive cup that would properly accept the Cub Cadet mounting flange. It turned out that the bearing on the other end of the shaft was missing and I didn't know it. When the whole thing is properly assembled, it works pretty well. You just need to make sure you have ALL the proper parts and only modify what needs to be modified for your application.

I think the Onan motor that was fitted to the 982 was 20 HP. If the flywheel on your motor has the same configuration, you should be able to convert it for use on a Cub Cadet, otherwise, you're going to have to build a custom setup and you need to know what you're doing when you do that. There is a FAQ about installing a U-Joint type coupling at the rear of the tractor, and I think at least one forum member has used a U-Joint on the front so that he could mount a B&S V-Twin OHV motor.

Again, you can mount just about anything in a 782 if you have the desire and the skill, or know someone who does.

Charles, wait for a M18 or look @ putting a Honda in it. But steer clear of the Onan. Their parts are very spendy.

Charles-my cousin just restored a 446 Case. It has the 16 hp Onan in it. It cost him nearly $2300 to have it professionally rebuilt. He wanted the tractor to remain original and so spent the cash on that motor. I'm planning to repower my 682 "Cubbie" when I get the cash but I'll keep the original engine for posterity. I figure it will make a nice wall decoration! For $2300, I could put in a 23hp Vanguard with install kit! Although the Onan is a good motor, I think that you could get more bang for your buck elsewhere.

joshua donald stertz

I would love to buy the teledyne engine I see used in some tractors as a replacement engine. I see a few used and think they would be a great engine,or a diesel lol.http://www.ultralightflying.com/archives/teledyne.html

And they seem to sell at a good price. the drive shaft would be a simple thing to get sorted out.
later Don T

Charles F. I have installed an Onan in a 682 so I might be able to answer some questions. For some reason I can't email you but mine is in my profile. let me know if I can be of any help.
Dave

Donald Tanner-
I'm a diesel fanatic! You know, a good deal is only one if you can capitalize on it. I was recently at a major car show/ swap meet in our area. There was a guy there selling a low hours complete D722 Kubota diesel. He was only asking a grand and sounded very negotible. I wish I could have picked that up to repower my 682! The teledyne engine is very interesting though. I'll have to check it out.

Latest posts

Back