• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Replaced Starter Now Broken S/G bolts

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KAYAKER2

displayname
KAYAKER2
After grinding up leaves for 2 hours, I found the two bolts snapped that hold the Bracket to the Engine boss. what could have happened there? I used original bolts with lock washers I thought. I know I will need to easy out both of them. if they are grade 8 its going to suck.
KAYAKER2

Those would have been Grade 5 unless someone changed them.

They were likely over-torqued at some point.

I got them out easy with left hand drill bit. no easy out needed.
👍

Replaced with Grade 5 found the head of the bolt that was in there, It was a soft 1 or 2 grade with no markings. Take a look at the two starter brackets. I am using the cast one. Was the welded one home made? I swap out the other starter mounting bolts with Grade 5. Those were also Grade 1 or 2. Somebody did replace all 5 bolts at one time. I noticed when I pressed the clutch, the console moved and heard noise from the clutch. I was missing 3 of the 4 bolts attaching the console to he frame. used Grade 5 for those also.
My Wife said I am mowing to much.
Thanks Guys
KAYAKER2

Attachments

• cub starter brackets.JPG
    cub starter brackets.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
When I switched out the pulley for a PTO I switched the starter mount on this black k181. to run on my 71. previous owner must have set it up for an original.

I remember how far I had to reach to engage the PTO on the original, I had to engage the mower drive before mounting tractor with my red ball jets on.

When I switched out the pulley for a PTO I switched the starter mount on this black k181. to run on my 71. previous owner must have set it up for an original.

I remember how far I had to reach to engage the PTO on the original, I had to engage the mower drive before mounting tractor with my red ball jets on.
What are "red ball jets?"

When I bought my 125 years ago I also noticed the PO used the wrong fasteners in a few situations.Original fasteners have an IH marking,or make sure you use grade 5,they have 3 slash marks on the head.And I use a thread restorer kit,if the fastener doesn't go together easily,restore it.I don't see the need to use an impact,I'd rather hand tighten with a ratchet to the proper torque than removing broken and stretched fasteners

Back