• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Remote oil filter on a 782.

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sweinacht

displayname
Scott Weinacht
Hello, I’m new to the forum. I have just purchases a red 782 at a yard sale. The KT 17 II Kohler runs fine, but it has a remote oil filter kit on it and the hoses are leaking. Are there any places to get new hoses or the part numbers for them? I tried the CC dealers around Oklahoma City and none of them can help me. Any info would be appreciated. Scott

P.S. Any pics of a 782 remote oil filter set up would help to.

Scott, I got mine from Houtz in Elburn. They are one of the sponsors above. They'll will order and ship to your door.

Scott W:

The remote oil filter setup was a rare option on the Kohler KT-17 Series II. None of the IH Cub Cadet Parts Manuals for the 782 reflect this option. However, that setup would be the same as seen on a Cub 1812 with a Kohler M-18, where that was a standard feature.

Scott,

Hope this helps.

69181.jpg

Thank you all for your responses. The break down was a big help. I had a local shop make me some hoses, so the 782 is back to work. It looks like the remote filter was added on because the old hoses are different and the oil filter is mounted sideways. Is there any way to tell if this was original equipment? Thanks Scott

Scott,

It is a safe bet to say that the previous owner(s) installed that remote filter set up. Factory installed remote oil filters in Cubs did not start until the introduction of the Kohler Mag 18 engine series.

Whoever owned that tractor before you knew what he was doing. They must have had a major engine failure and replaced it with the Series II KT and ordered the replacement engine with the remote filter option. The front engine heat sheet metal on the cub 82 series make changing that engine very difficult with the engine mounted filter option. Most Series II KT's had filter block-off plates.

Michael:

I know there has been discussion on this issue of the KT-17's with this "block off" plate on the crankcase.
I have a late model KT-17 Series II and it does NOT have that plate.

In looking this all up on the Kohler site, there is NO mention of this block off plate for the KT-17's.

This image is from M-18 Spec 24506
69220.jpg

69221.jpg

The red dots indicate Cub Spec'd models

I have cut and pasted the images from Kohler.
The 52-755-67-S was never offered on a KT-17 according to their "where used" menu.

This remote oil filter stuff is confusing. I was thinking that I must have had a late KT17 Series II in my 782 (recently purchased) because I have the block off plate. It only has a few hundred hours on the engine. It still could be older because the tractor was only used for farm tractor shows. Also regarding my engine cowling/heat shield that the two oil lines would go through, well I've got those two holes in it they just have two caps in the holes. It looks like I could just take the remote filter system right off my 1811 and put it on my 782. It even has the place to put the oil pressure switch in. It's just plugged off.

Adrian:

My KT-17 does have an Oil Pressure Port in the block that has a plug in it too.

The confusing thing is that the Crankcase Part Numbers for the KT-17 and M-18 are not available. I "suspect" that the crankcases are identical except for this remote oil filter port. With that in mind, if someone had a KT-17 that had a hole in it, and repaired by replacing it with a M-18 crankcase, might explain what some are seeing.

Just can't seem to verify all this from the Kohler site or parts manuals.

dunno.gif

Series I has more of a splash lubrication system and the Series II has a much better pressure lubrication. With a series I you need to be careful when mowing on inclines/hills since you can starve a cylinder of lubrication.

So they upgraded the oil system, but did not put an oil filter in it? That seem odd to me. What is an oil pressure switch? And what does it do? Do I need to install one in my oil system?

The oil pressure switch turns on an idiot light on the instrument panel of M18/20 equipped tractors when the oil pressure drops below like 5psi or so. Nice to have but not necessary.

Finally put a remote oil filter and lines on my 782 with kt17 series II.
buttrock.gif

81730.jpg

It does look like it in the picture. The panel does touch up against them in one spot so I got a couple pieces of the industrial strength velcro and stuck two pieces of the cloth side on the inside of the panel right where it touches. Other than that everything is great with it. I did have to drill two holes in the fuel tank pedestal/firewall for the oil filter mount bracket.

Latest posts

Back