• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Red 1282 Carb Problem

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msteinman

displayname
Mark Steinman
I am new to the site and think this is pretty cool. I am back on the pwert duty. The landscapers I hired are hacking up my lawn!!

2 weeks ago I purchased a 1981 Red 1282. In terrific shape. Really like it. The first cut was great, the second was a nite mare! Half way thru the left front wheel fell off! after finding the hardware i jacked it up and tightened it back on (have to repack the tire).

The question I have to anyone that can add input is about the carb. The machine has the original 12 HP Kohler. After using the tractor for less than 2 hours, the carb flooded with gas and bogged out on me. When i took the the left side panel off and removed the cover that houses the air filter gas poureed out. The first 2 hours I used it, I mistakenly ran 89 octane gasoline. The manual calls for 91 or higher (should have read this first) so i drained the tank and refilled with 93 octane. The motor starts, however it does sound it should at full throttle. It idles fine and runs ok at half speed. The problem is when I go 3/4 to full speed, it bogs out and I can see gasoline dripping out from the carb. Any thoughts on how to address what appears to be a simple solution?

Sounds like your needle is sticking in the float bowel need to take off carb and turn it upside down and check the setting.

Throttle speed should have nothing to do with that kind of leak though. I'm saying it should leak at any speed or even shut off with the petcock open.

Did you set your Hi Idle screw so that it wouldn't flood ,{choking itself out at full throttle }?

Hi Mark:
1) Welcome to the forum.
2) The 1282 is a CCC Garden Tractor...not a Lawn Tractor. Please post your questions about your 1282 on the CCC Garden Tractor thread..
3)The Red IH 1282 (and its Yellow/White CCC model 680 clone) was not introduced until 1982 beginning with serial number 700,001.

Myron B
CCSupplyRoom

Myron,

Will do, thanks for the feedback..it may be a 1982, will check the serial number.

Jim,

That is interesting...does it make sense to check the hi idle screw first prior to removing the carb? Tere is a reference to it in the manual. Is it at all possible that the said screw does loosen through vibration? At low idle speeds the garden tractor does shake a bit.

Thank you.
stupid.gif

Mark S.-

Nope. You need a carb rebuild or float adjustment, period. If the main needle backed out, you'd know. It would run rich and very roughly. It's time to pull the carb off and see what's going on.

Latest posts

Back