• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Onan powered 2072

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1811Cub

displayname
1811Cub
These are not discussed much, but these are most likely some of the least produced Cub Cadet models. Most 2072's were Kohler Magnum 20 powered. Depending on who you listen to, less than 100 of these Onan engine equipped 2072 Super Cubs were manufactured in 1987.These have the 147731100 on the VIN. This unfortunate tractor is rough and getting parted.

2072onan2.png

2072onan.png

Last edited:
My opinion is that the Kohler is a better choice overall. Those who own the Onans like the sound of them mostly due to the dual separate mufflers, and tout their torque output. Parts are even more expensive for them versus the Kohler. The contact points are a known sore spot.

These Onan 2072's should be saved when at all possible due to their small production run.

These are not discussed much, but these are most likely some of the least produced Cub Cadet models. Most 2072's were Kohler Magnum 20 powered. Depending on who you listen to, less than 100 of these Onan engine equipped 2072 Super Cubs were manufactured in 1987.These have the 147731100 on the VIN. This unfortunate tractor is rough and getting parted.

View attachment 151622

View attachment 151623
Mozilla...I haven't seen that in years 👍😎👍

Oh, and you got 6 emails... 🤣

Onans were great, unique sound for sure. It is a terrible shame that they are pretty much a thing of the past, too expensive and difficult to obtain parts for. I've got one on a Bolens chassis Qt or Qs-16 (can't remember which) I think it needs crank bearings, maybe crankshaft.
I've also got an old Onan all cast iron, very heavy from a commercial mower, maybe a Pennington or Jacobsen, that the university used to have several of.
The Kohlers had a slight advantage in popularity among the old guys that worked on them

A fellow on youtube has one of these Onan 2072s. I've talked to him a few times over the years. With Onan, there's a lot of people on both ends of the spectrum. Some love them and others hate them. He is a man who loves them, and seems to have always had good luck with them. His 2072 is in really great original shape.

Back in the late 80's or early 90's when front mount decks became the rage for commercial buyers, the university got some JD mowers with 6 foot decks (some came with 5 footers, but were converted later) The first batch came with Onan motors, probably 18 or 20 hp (none too much by today's standard) Then a little later JD cheapened up and went to 18 hp B&S, big mistake, rods didn't last long at all. They ended up retrofitting Onans into the newer machines. Never heard any complaints about the Onans, but of course compared to B&S anything looked good.

Later JD put some water cooled Yanmars gas motors in and they went with them

They bought enough of them at the time, that whenever they had a problem JD was quick to listen and make an effort to satisfy.

Latest posts

Back