• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

"New" 1282, but don't tell anybody

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pbell

displayname
Paul Bell
I'm one of those people that think "real" Cub Cadets are yellow and white and built by IH
whistling.gif
lol.gif
, but this followed me home a day or two ago, and I kinda like it. It is an early one (1982), has a cast iron rear end housing, "International" above Cub Cadet on the dash, but does not have the IH on the steering wheel cap, or have the IH emblem on the headlight panel. Runs good, hydro seems good, I believe it will be a nice, and somewhat rare, tractor.
246438.jpg

246439.jpg

246440.jpg

246441.jpg

Paul, I know I can't tell you much about any cub, but for the rest of us, I do recall that the "internatinal" dash was just CCC using up the IH stock and that is indeed a CCC machine.

Paul can you tell us more about the 1282 it sounds like a unit I would like?

Jeff,
Yes, it was built by CCC as were all the red 82 series models built from late 1981 to early 1985. The 1282 has a 12 hp Kohler Magnum engine and the trusty SunStrand hydro. IH did not build a 1282 (or the later 782D). The 1282 was produced supposedly because the dealers wanted another 12 hp in the lineup as a replacement for the 1200/1250 quietline.

The first tractor CCC built was a yellow & white 482 in late 1981. CCC built the red 82's for the IH dealers that sold the Cub Cadet line, and at the same time built yellow & white models to be sold by Lawn Power Products dealers (Cub Cadet dealers) that did not sell the IH ag line. CCC did use IH parts they received as part of the "Cub Cadet Buy Out" on the red tractors until stocks of those parts were exhausted, parts such as the dash with International on it, the steering wheel center cap, IH grill emblem, cast iron rear end case etc. As these parts were exhausted, the CCC made parts were used except for the emblems/IH decals, when they ran out there was nothing used in their place The steering wheel got a plain/blank center cap.

This tractor was built in 1982 and the S/N is right in the middle of the S/N range for that year (700,000-712,899) at 706,5XX, but that S/N range included 20 different models, so production of the different models was fairly limited. The models were: CCC yellow & white models 482, 580, 582, 680 (same as the 1282), 682, 782, 784, 982, 984, 986, and the red IH models were 482, 582S, 582, 1282, 682, 782, 784, 982 (kind code 9586), 982 (kind code 0589), and 982 (kind code 0588). I do not know what a 784 is or the difference in the three 982's, the listing came from a CCC brochure, Form NO. 772-3879 R10/89. Production of the red models ended in 1985 according to the brochure, or basically when the IH ag line was bought by Tenneco/Case.

Paul: To quote Hank Will - 784 - "Same as yellow and white model 782 with CCC badge, but with front remote hydraulic kit; production ends 1984".
happy.gif

Frank,
Yes, I am aware of that for a yellow & white one, but the brochure I listed, and got the models numbers from, also listed the 784 as a "red" one. I would assume it is a misprint.

Paul, you with an 82 series!?
feint.gif
Next thing you know:

246484.jpg

246485.gif

"SAME as yellow and white model 782 with CCC badge, BUT with front remote hydraulic kit".
Doesn't that mean the RED 784 has front ports that the Y/W 782 doesn't?
1a_scratchhead.gif
happy.gif

I think I may want a 1282 someday they look good to me

Paul: Just because your 1282 doesn't have the IH badge on the headlights now doesn't mean it never had one, or you couldn't add it. I'll bet if you look closely at the center of the screen, you will find the holes for a badge punched out and ready for you to mount the "lost" identifier.
smile.gif

Jeremiah,
Yes the hole's for the IH emblem are in the light panel, but there are no marks or anything to indicate there was ever an emblem there. It also does not have the IH decal on the rear of the fender pan, or any indication it was ever there.

Paul: When I received my CCC 782, it did not have the emblem on the front, I know it has a dealer sticker on the rear, I'm not sure if it has an IH decal like my 149 --I'm thinking it is lacking.

I assumed that the tractor had an emblem on the front at one time, and that either someone "liberated" it or a previous owner (there have been two) sold it separately, or simply pocketed it; it never occurred to me that the tractor might have come from the factory/dealer without badging.

I was able to procure an IH badge for the front from Chris Westfall, and it is displayed proudly, as is the "International" on the side hood decal. Neither my dash nor my steering wheel displays the International/IH emblems. I would pick up the center cap if I came across one, but otherwise, I'm not worried about it.

I would be bummed to learn that the tractor came from the factory/dealer with NO identifying IH insignia other than the aforementioned hood decal; the front shot just doesn't look right without the "IH" between the eyes/headlights --in my opinion.
smile.gif

Edit: I never noticed any marks or "indicators" of an emblem install on the light panel, I would be curious to learn if original emblems "leave their mark" on a tractor.

Really nice machine. I'm a fan of the 82 series and the red just seems to grab me.

Frank,
The point is, there is, or was, not a red tractor decaled as a 784. CCC used different model numbers on like yellow and white tractors to denote tractors with added options, such as dual brake pedals, front hyd outlets, cat "O" hitch etc, but the red models did not. As an example, the 782D had front hyd outlets as standard equipment, but they were optional on the 782 gas and on the 982, but the model number decal did not change when the tractors were equiped with those options.

Excellent point Paul, and 100% correct! I had several of the 784-984 and the decals were always of the host tractor; the catalog # of say 984 was simply a CCC way of identifying the unit with factory installed options, the decals always say 982 no matter the options.

The next generation did use decals to differentiate; 1810-manual lift; 1811 hydraulic lift; 1812 hydraulic lift plus front remote outlets are examples. To reiterate; the 782 et al did not use the decals as you pointed out.

I have a nice 1282 with a Johnson Loader I installed. It has been a workhorse for years and is one of my personal favorites. With that loader I should really install a 3 turn steering box but I get by. Those are kinda pricey!

Latest posts

Back